Thread: Feeding pellets to gamefowl

Post Thanks / Like

Feeding pellets to gamefowl

I would like your thoughts on feeding pellets to gamefowl. I have always fed pellets in the feed mixture. I'm sure almost everyone does as well. I read an article in one of the game journals and a very sucessful cocker breeder of the old school would never feed pellets, As he felt that there could be human error at times when producing these feeds. He would only feed whole grains to his fowl never cracked. If he feed cracked grains he cracked them right before he fed them to his fowl.There is some truth to this as I worked for purina mills as a packer and seen first hand human error in making pellet foods. I think the cocker was W.T. Greene but don't quote me on this.
    YFIS,
    gallero210

cockfighter_199

Re: Feeding pellets to gamefowl

gallero I do not feed pellets there is no particular reason why,just really have not felt the need to,however I have heard a lot of people do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Breeder pellets make up about 20% of my feed. I do know some who do not feed pellets either.

Mark Marsh

Post Thanks / Like

I add Finisher Pellets and Layer pellets to my feed mix. For cocks, stags, hens and pullets. Keeps them healthy and strong, i also feed the same feed to my brood pens. And it works well. Aloha!

Post Thanks / Like

The feed I use has pellets in it as well. I feed my chicks pig starter pellets and have never lost a chick since I started using it. I have never had any problems related to feeding pellets, not saying that they are consistant in the mix for the pellets. But when is the last time that farmers grain has been checked for nutrients and fertilizer toxins? I'm a believer that they need that grain, but that extra pellets just gives them that extra nutrients. I know some that all they feed are pellets. You have to remember now matter how much grain you feed if your not giving them plenty of Grit then they're not going to get that grain ground up good enough to get all the nutrients they need. The gamecock feed I use has grit already fixed in.
    Last edited by BlackStealth; October 14th, 2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add

Post Thanks / Like

I feed all pellets 365 days a year. My pellets are made specifically for show birds with 17% cp and contains all the necessary nutrients they need. No need for grains. The hardest part about feeding all pellet is finding the right pellets; pellets designed for show birds so the birds feel really nice in our hands and can also perform. Most pellets out there cannot make a bird feel full and firm like they have been prepared for a show, instead making them feel fat and loose.

Post Thanks / Like

I know for me nothing puts that firm feeling in my roosters like corn

Post Thanks / Like

I feed about 50% pellets made up of alfalha, & breeder pellets. Pellets or in other words your protien base is what puts the breast on a fowl. I know alot of top cockers who feed nothing but pellets year round and do very well. Theres alot of corn in a pellet.

Post Thanks / Like

You cant mix a athletic formula feed without pellets. If you want chicken feed yes...feed them all the grain you want but unless they getting mineral and vitiams from another sourse you are doing just that feeding them.

Post Thanks / Like

ive always usued pellets mixed with my grains,they come out fine... i adjust my feed during the winter months...more grains less pellets...other wise pellets are a mainstay diet for my birds,and i havent had any problems...pookela..

11. Likes green liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use pellets, mostly because I haven't seen a consensus for the best one available in México. I use grains and add some green stuff whenever I can (e.g., I'll give them the leftovers of the corn and oats harvest).

The only other thing I use is Gallo de Oro Iniciador, with 26% protein.

I used to add it to the daily mix but I think my birds started dropping feathers because of the high protein content, and now I'll only add it to the keep feed.

Post Thanks / Like

I feed only pellets. My birds keep a good body year round! They don't get sick, they never clog up. The pellets are 16%. I feed 18% in the keep, and worm once a month with hog pellets. Never had a problem due to the pellets once they graduate from starter they eat pellets and veggies the rest of their lives. Less overhead also.

Post Thanks / Like

Mason Farms,

What type of pellets are you feeding? Is it just a layer pellet?

Post Thanks / Like

i switched to a 20% breeder pellets today i feed food that has nothing but grain in it but all my fowl show breast bones so im feeding pellets to get some weight

Post Thanks / Like

i use to be one of the guys that fed nothing but grain i had it mixed at the feedstore i buy my feed from now my birds looked good but not just the way i liked so i talked to the guy at the feedstore and he reccomended the feed he already premixed and it had pellets in it i tried it and now my birds feel and act a lot better seem to be healthier, since then i have assed pig starter to their diet and like they way they act even better.

Post Thanks / Like

anybody else use game bird breeder pellets 20% FRM?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Farms View Post
    I feed only pellets. My birds keep a good body year round! They don't get sick, they never clog up. The pellets are 16%. I feed 18% in the keep, and worm once a month with hog pellets. Never had a problem due to the pellets once they graduate from starter they eat pellets and veggies the rest of their lives. Less overhead also.

can this feed be compared to rockin rooster? i ordered some last week and goin mon to pick it up and try it. never used an all pellet diet but im gonna try gradually addin it to the regular feed i use...just wonderin if it was close to what ur using if its not the same thing

Post Thanks / Like

I also feed gamebird pellets to my fowl. About 30% pellet to my regular yard mix. All my fowl get them. Never encountered any problems. Caliente/gamebird pellet/soaked oats....yum, yum....

20. Likes green liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Feeding pellets to gamefowl

Quote Originally Posted by jncblas View Post
    Caliente/gamebird pellet/soaked oats....yum, yum....

Dam you just made me hungry che'lu...
    Last edited by catchfly; December 16th, 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judo View Post
    I feed all pellets 365 days a year. My pellets are made specifically for show birds with 17% cp and contains all the necessary nutrients they need. No need for grains. The hardest part about feeding all pellet is finding the right pellets; pellets designed for show birds so the birds feel really nice in our hands and can also perform. Most pellets out there cannot make a bird feel full and firm like they have been prepared for a show, instead making them feel fat and loose.
    Whats the name of the pellets you use buddyK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    I feed about 50% pellets made up of alfalha, & breeder pellets. Pellets or in other words your protien base is what puts the breast on a fowl. I know alot of top cockers who feed nothing but pellets year round and do very well. Theres alot of corn in a pellet.
    Sir -
    Regarding the alfalfa pellets that you mention; are they the same size approximately as layer pellets? The only alfalfa pellets I have found are for horses and they are much larger. Are these too large or do you grind them some? Thank you. I'm just learning. All my Grandfather use to feed was scratch grain. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I use all flock pellets 18% . Scratch grains and a wild Bird mix of nuts seeds and dried fruit. And it has worked very well for my Fowl with the occasional vitamin supplement.

Post Thanks / Like

pellets are harder to digest, if you feed only pellets, I would have some sand in flypens or put some grit down. Good pellets are very healthy for fowl but require the gizzard to work correctly.Grit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    pellets are harder to digest, if you feed only pellets, I would have some sand in flypens or put some grit down. Good pellets are very healthy for fowl but require the gizzard to work correctly.Grit

I feel the opposite is true... Pellets are easy on the gizzard IMO, which is a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodsaw View Post
    I feel the opposite is true... Pellets are easy on the gizzard IMO, which is a bad thing.
    Agreed! Dont believe him? Dont believe me? The next time you get a chance. Disect one of them pellet fed birds. Compare the gizzard to a good grain fed bird. The proof is in the puddin'. Now i'm not doggin' you pellet feeders by no means. I know a man that feeds 100% pellets from the egg on. He soaks 20% pellets in warm water. And this is the sole ration of his biddies. His record speaks for itself. In my opionion, it takes a lot of trial and error. If you have pellet feeding down to a T, and it has proven successful for you. I commend you. But if you dont know what you are doing? You are depriving your fowl. I'm a grain man myself. But if I had the time, patience, and the extra fowl to experiment with. I would definitely like to learn more about pellet feeding. In my opinion, pellet feeding is like an art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcreek View Post
    You cant mix a athletic formula feed without pellets. If you want chicken feed yes...feed them all the grain you want but unless they getting mineral and vitiams from another sourse you are doing just that feeding them.
    This makes about as much sense to me, as puttin a screen door on a submarine. All pellets are is trash off of grain. Dont believe me? Ask your mixer. Aside from the occasional man made synthetic additive. A pellet is made of nothing more than the trash, dust, whatever you want to call it. That gathers in the bottom of the mixer. They take that, put it through a machine. The machine compacts it all, into a pretty little pellet. Just another way for them to squeeze every dollar they can, out of a pound of grain. Without grain there would be no pellet. So if they cant get them nutrients from grain. I dont see how they can get them from a pellet. That is nothing more than compacted grain trash. I've never seen pellets in the jungle? If I am missing the nutrient ingredient that pellets possess. Please inform me. I'm not here to insult anyone. Or argue with anyone. The facts are the facts. But like I said. If I am ignorant to the source of these vitamins and minerals that pellets contain. I would like to hear what they are. May just push me over that line. And further encourage me to try the pellets. yfis

Post Thanks / Like

I keep two different barrels! One has cock feed grains with 21% laying pellet mixed the other has Quick grow 22% mixed with scratch! Now, why you say? Well all my brood fowl and bull stags get the larger grain and my chicks to crowing age stags and pullets get the smaller grain which has higher levels of crude protien. This is just my beliefs and how I was taught and works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect-Gull View Post
    I keep two different barrels! One has cock feed grains with 21% laying pellet mixed the other has Quick grow 22% mixed with scratch! Now, why you say? Well all my brood fowl and bull stags get the larger grain and my chicks to crowing age stags and pullets get the smaller grain which has higher levels of crude protien. This is just my beliefs and how I was taught and works for me.
    You ever have any trouble with slipped tendons or broken legs? The reason I ask is. Much like you. I feed 2 different feeds. I start my biddies on crumble/starter. Then I slowly transition them into smaller grain. Gradually working up to larger grain. I do this in order to gradually strengthen the gizzard. I dont feed high protein until they are a year old. Then I up their protein. Maxing out at 18%. I like to increase their protein in the conditioning. I find it hard to increase it from anything higher than the 18% norm. Even at 18%, I find it difficult to accomplish effectively. I do this to ensure proper tendon development as they grow. I was just curious? I know fellers that feed high protein from day one. And it works for them. yfis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BanditBulik View Post
    You ever have any trouble with ppslied tendons or broken legs? The reason I ask is. Much like you. I feed 2 different feeds. I start my biddies on crumble/starter. Then I slowly transition them into smaller grain. Gradually working up to larger grain. I do this in order to gradually strengthen the gizzard. I dont feed high protein until they are a year old. Then I up their protein. Maxing out at 18%. I like to increase their protein in the conditioning. I find it hard to increase it from anything higher than the 18% norm. Even at 18%, I find it difficult to accomplish effectively. I do this to ensure proper tendon development as they grow. I was just curious? I know fellers that feed high protein from day one. And it works for them. yfis
    I have taken it a step further than you Bandit Bulik. I have completely eliminated the crumble/starter from my breeding program. I do however give them a little laying pellets but my feed consists mostly of grains. Like you said it before their was too much trouble with slipped tendons and broken legs. I started using this method like two years ago and my birds are even better now. I started culling my birds at an early age.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lurena View Post
    I have taken it a step further than you Bandit Bulik. I have completely eliminated the crumble/starter from my breeding program. I do however give them a little laying pellets but my feed consists mostly of grains. Like you said it before their was too much trouble with slipped tendons and broken legs. I started using this method like two years ago and my birds are even better now. I started culling my birds at an early age.
    I feed a game cock feed with laying pellets mixed in about 1/2 and 1/2 brood fowl only right now
    My question is what causes the slipped tendons and broke legs

Kenneth