Thread: Thailand

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thailand

Has anyone used Thailand Game fowl to grade?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thailand

i stay there some, and go to the fights there but dont see anything i would want to grade into my birds.

Post Thanks / Like

There are experiments, both successful and failure..
    It will depend on the niche's of course..
    There are oriental fanatics here in the PI who had good and bad results, but yes..
    It was already tried..

Post Thanks / Like
    You would end up with shakes.

Post Thanks / Like

my opinion, the most suitable type of thai for LK is "mae dien" type of thai. 'mae dien" means thai cock that throws a lot of attacks and agile in movement. i have 1/4 thai graded here, they're just mediocore, nothing special.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone PERSONALLY done this?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not because we already know the outcome and it will not be good, hence a waste of time. Thai cocks are not steel game. So if you're fighting in steel weapons, you don't have the edge. You are at a disadvantage.

Sorry.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Sentenciador;4276200]Probably not because we already know the outcome and it will not be good, hence a waste of time. Thai cocks are not steel game. So if you're fighting in steel weapons, you don't have the edge. You are at a disadvantage.

Sorry.

Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like

The ones I saw were game enough but had a tendency to stand around when ahead.
    They weren't great. Just what I saw.

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of different breeds in Thailand. You would probably not want to use any of the slow boxing/wrestling type Thai breeds for crossing. However there are faster breeds also in Thailand like some "Pama", and Thai Gaff fowl that might be more suitable for grading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    The ones I saw were game enough but had a tendency to stand around when ahead.
    They weren't great. Just what I saw.
    That's the draw back with thai roosters, they stand around doing nothing except probably peck but not throw anything to the other bird.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zipadydooda View Post
    There are lots of different breeds in Thailand. You would probably not want to use any of the slow boxing/wrestling type Thai breeds for crossing. However there are faster breeds also in Thailand like some "Pama", and Thai Gaff fowl that might be more suitable for grading.
    Yes. I found out the hard way. They weren't steel game at all... LOL.

I found success using Brazilian blood. They're steel game and really fast.
    Last edited by Lino Zuniga; November 25th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

13. Thanks BLAKE V. thanked for this post
    Likes BLAKE V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the the Thai gaff fowl are fought with steel gaffs but more common is the traditional gaff made of deer horn, its big around 4" long. A lot of the gaff birds die in the pit so I would imagine they might be more steel game versus the other Thai breeds.

Post Thanks / Like

I seen these hack fights on Samui. They were quite fast and the birds were finishers.
    I think for steel there are better orientals. IMO.
    The black deer horn. I'm not sure of the material but it was a dark bone like material I would liken to the claw of an eagle.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zipadydooda View Post
    Some of the the Thai gaff fowl are fought with steel gaffs but more common is the traditional gaff made of deer horn, its big around 4" long. A lot of the gaff birds die in the pit so I would imagine they might be more steel game versus the other Thai breeds.
    How can I tell the breeds apart? The steel game and the traditional.

Do you have any pictures available?
    Last edited by Lino Zuniga; November 26th, 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent a few years in Thailand... And I did not see anything I would want to use to make SK fowl.... They fight eight 20 minutes rounds.... Fight for 20 minutes and rest for 20 minutes and so on..... Normaly one quites before all the rounds are over with....

Post Thanks / Like

Two time winner 1/4 Thai

Sparring against his father
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oln_81WrEA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ranchoelzapote View Post
    I have spent a few years in Thailand... And I did not see anything I would want to use to make SK fowl.... They fight eight 20 minutes rounds.... Fight for 20 minutes and rest for 20 minutes and so on..... Normaly one quites before all the rounds are over with....
    The fights youre talking about are naked heel/tape matches. There are no rounds or rest periods in the gaff fights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lino Zuniga View Post
    How can I tell the breeds apart? The steel game and the traditional.

Do you have any pictures available?

Generally the gaff birds are more medium stationed and the feathering is full with a long tail - nothing like the naked heel type Thai's that often look beat up with a lot of broken and missing feathering. The breed fought in steel or deer horn gaff are the same. They are still big birds but usually not tall and lanky like naked heel type.

check out some videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGti5U4dI7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMh4aho3qEo

Post Thanks / Like

I notice a lot of people talk about Thai gamefowl as if there was just 1 breed type or fighting style, when in fact there are many different breeds and very specific fighting styles. The Thai that somebody tried or saw and then assumed was junk may have just been the wrong breed/fighting style for the intended purpose. The Thai's that most people think of are the naked heel type, of which there are notably differing fighting styles. For example there are the old type big size(3-4+kg) breeds like Leung Hang Kao and Pradu Hang Dam (the breeds not the colors). These old breeds are known to lack much style compared to the modern Thai breeds. Theyre more like Japanese Shamo and are the type to stand breast to breast pushing each other around and exchanging blows. They are typically not even fought anymore in Thailand and kept only for chicken shows (beauty contest just like a dog show). The breeds that are popular nowdays in the ring have more tactical fighting styles and are a lighter weight and are faster. The Thai "Pagoy" breed has distinguishable fighting tactics that include hiding under the wing and between the legs of its opponent, wheeling around a lot, and for plucking out its opponents feathers - they call them pluckers in the US. Another Thai breed is "Trat". They are usually tall birds and characterized by a neck wrestling fighting style, these are the ones said to be "lockers" or super lock. The most popular breed are the Thai bred "Pama" (Burmese). They also have different fighting characteristics that theyre known for such as "free kick" where they throw blows without a bill hold, and the "ma lo" (running horse) style - these are the ones you see running laps around the ring.
    Coming from American gamefowl I cant stand most of the tactical fighting styles of the different Thai breeds like wheeling around, hiding, and especially running away from the opponent. However I can see that these tactics definitely have their place and are suitable for what theyre fought in - naked/taped heels.
    Typical Thai fowl have a reputation for not being very game, and I have to agree that a lot of them arent. I think the reason for that is they were/are not bred to be very game. The breeding practices in this part of the world are quite different from breeding practices in the US or PI. Gameness and consistency are not major expectations or priorities (I think its different with the Thai gaff breeders though). From what ive seen of how gamefowl are bred in Thailand its very old fashioned (typically random bred, like a winning brood cock free ranged with a bunch of hens right along with a bunch of breeding age young stags).
    Im tired of writing so check out this youtube video of the "Ma lo" fighting style. Make your pick and place your bets and be sure to watch or at least skip till the very end >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgg1ujFPpTc
    Last edited by zipadydooda; November 27th, 2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: wasnt finished

Post Thanks / Like

Zipa, Them big boys are game!

Post Thanks / Like

Zipa, regarding the 3rd video,... black rooster sure has stamina.

Post Thanks / Like

man that last one one made me a lil dizzy just trying to keep up with it. to much running for me but good fight if that's what you like.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried Thai grades and the crosses came out excellent cutters.The only problem is that they come out to big and know one wants to match the weight. I have three time winner that weighs around 3 kilos. I wish they where a little bit smaller. If I was in Mexico I would enter them in the "Capote" derby.

26. Likes BLAKE V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Each to his own, kind of a marathon meets MMA.