Thread: Rooster weight

Post Thanks / Like

Rooster weight

Ok let's hear some tips/ tricks to making cocks reach their full potential size.

I know people prefer certain size cocks, and while I prefer a winner no matter what size, if given the choice I like a rooster around 5.2 pounds. So lets talk about ways to make a rooster cock out at a heavier weight than average for his bloodline.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rooster weight

Some of mine are cocking out heavier than I like... here in Mexico you need a variety of weights from 2 to 2.5 kilograms... usually a five cock derby goes from 2.1 to 2.5 (one 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5).

Feed the best feed you can, free range them as much as possible, vits and electrolytes a few times per week, deworm once a month, and just make sure that they are always healthy and they'll grow to their full potential...

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with Nayarit .those are the best weights because you give or take 50 or 70 grams.if you get cocks below 2 kilos your more likely to give weight to get a match..if u get a 2.6 kilo or height you get a match that's called tapado or free weight..tapado means you coul fight a rooster with the same weight or heavier,you just heel and don't weigh them..

Post Thanks / Like

We go by a different weigh in system. We go by ounces so I have clue what your talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodsaw View Post
    Ok let's hear some tips/ tricks to making cocks reach their full potential size.

I know people prefer certain size cocks, and while I prefer a winner no matter what size, if given the choice I like a rooster around 5.2 pounds. So lets talk about ways to make a rooster cock out at a heavier weight than average for his bloodline.
    All birds are different. Some perform best heavier. Some perform best a little lighter. You are the one who has to determine what is best for your birds.

Post Thanks / Like

I am NOT talking about his FIGHT weight. I know how to determine a roosters fighting weight. I am talking to an over bigger chicken head to toe but not carrying excess weight. "Bigger frame".

That is not to be determined, and should change performance a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah bro,anybody can feed a chicken,its what and how you feed..some will eat more some will eat less..what you feed? me i try to feed a balenced diet,soak my grains,take my fegular feed,then mix,add a little oil to help during the moult,every little thing you do for your birds makes a big diffrence,good or bad.lol.lol..plus adjusting your feed to the diffrent climate we have in the states has a big impact too!!!.....how you feed?..anybody can walk around in their yard and just throw feed on the muddy or dry ground,and walk away.lol.lol..me i feed all my birds outta cups,cause when i mix treats or vitamin supplements in the feed,they get a good clean feed in a cup instead on a dirty ground.how would you feel if you gotta eat of the ground,instead off a plate.lol.lol.lol...if you take a little consideration in how you feed and take care your prized birds year around,you will get their optimal size and ability!!!..JMHO!!!GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS COMIN SEASON!!!..pookela..aloha!!
    Last edited by POOKELA; November 24th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am NOT talking about his FIGHT weight. I know how to determine a roosters fighting weight. I am talking to an over bigger chicken head to toe but not carrying excess weight. "Bigger frame".

That is not to be determined, and should change performance a bit.
    Breed to larger hens. Change up on your wormers. A thicker chicken isnt necessarily a better chicken.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; November 24th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I prefer american rules in short knife . The fights don't go as long since its whoever breaks the count wins . In mexico is witchever one is completely dead . Also in mexico you have to have the chickens in a sertain weight while here (when legal ) you just take your chickens and they get matched up