Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bama sport blacks...or... bonanza blacks???

Post Thanks / Like

bama sport blacks...or... bonanza blacks???

if it were still legal which familys of blacks would be best for gaff?? jimbo cox black chickens, or the bonanza blacks from the douglas family??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bama sport blacks...or... bonanza blacks???

I was told direct, that the Cox black fowl were for the Phily shows. A friend in Mexico received a black hen about 3 months ago. He was told to breed her with their spangle blood for Mex shows. I know of no one using them in the longheel.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most awesome black I saw a picture of here in one of the threads is Zacdaddy's high stationed 'Black Trotter'. It looked like he had some Aseel in him. He looks like he would do well here in the Philippines.

4. Likes jamiepaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    I was told direct, that the Cox black fowl were for the Phily shows. A friend in Mexico received a black hen about 3 months ago. He was told to breed her with their spangle blood for Mex shows. I know of no one using them in the longheel.
    yes i figured they were mostly for the phil shows, but i wonder if they are game. i thought maybe if you put some hatch in them they may be good for the gaff. i would love to have a family of black chickens or dark fowl that would be good for gaff. if it were legal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by u.s.a View Post
    yes i figured they were mostly for the phil shows, but i wonder if they are game. i thought maybe if you put some hatch in them they may be good for the gaff. i would love to have a family of black chickens or dark fowl that would be good for gaff. if it were legal
    You know. I learned over the years to START out with GAFF fowl. It makes things so much more easier. I have seen very good blacks in gaff, that are meant for the gaff. They do exist. I would stick with gaff breeders, who's PASSION is gaff chickens. All the big name breeders and some small time breeders cater to the knife. There's just more money in it.

7. Thanks copperwings thanked for this post
    Likes copperhead rd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if it were still legal which familys of blacks would be best for gaff?? jimbo cox black chickens, or the bonanza blacks from the douglas family??
    not bein smartmouth but i would go totaly different approach than these two for the spur!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hitmonkey!!! View Post
    not bein smartmouth but i would go totaly different approach than these two for the spur!
    Take this advice usa.......my buddy down the road has mike and jimbos blacks.....they can turn it on but they are sleepers bud

Post Thanks / Like

we have the bama blacks and raised about 15 crossed on clements and yesterday afternoon we looked ata all 15 of them for the first time and i hope they get better. i did not like them at all, i hope we have not waisted 2 years!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was interested in the bama blacks and the Douglas blacks but after reading threads on here I would try Mr ray Christians sids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ttate View Post
    Take this advice usa.......my buddy down the road has mike and jimbos blacks.....they can turn it on but they are sleepers bud
    yall boys are breaking my heart!! lol i seen some birds and man who owned them called them kent mugs years ago that were maybe some of the best fowl ive ever seen killed alot of roosters in first couple pittins. i mean alot. but they would go hour and half in drag both eyes knocked out rattled and broken all up still breakin the count. ive said over the years i would like to make me some like that

Post Thanks / Like

yall boys are breaking my heart!! lol i seen some birds and man who owned them called them kent mugs years ago that were maybe some of the best fowl ive ever seen killed alot of roosters in first couple pittins. i mean alot. but they would go hour and half in drag both eyes knocked out rattled and broken all up still breakin the count. ive said over the years i would like to make me some like that
    i probaly get screamed at for sayin this but i have seen my share of the bama blacks,,, and had the bonanzas in partners yard they was good with his grey but if u want blacks that can win in the circumstances u are speakin of,, these are not them,,,the bamas are bad boys if u like the knive but in the gaff better vere away from these,,

Post Thanks / Like

well everyone is thinking it, I'm just saying it.... But for what you describe if you hae the money and Mr. Ray has the fowl, you need to see mr Christian about his sids...

I don't know first hand, but have done alot of calling and learning about em from a couple different people and his are supposed to be game as any fowl today and they are good roosters... that's the direction i'd go.

Post Thanks / Like

3x in American last year long & short. 1/2 RFG 1/2 Bama Black. Hue B Nichols not Bama Sport blood. Now my old buddy got a great Sid line he been showing for years in gaff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks trapper thanked for this post
    Likes copperhead rd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best blacks I've seen when it was legal was some Mugs from a guy named Melvin F from MS..They can win fast and stay for the long run..I think he had them Leiper over Mug when I seen them. I've thought about it and I just cant take in another family of fowl right now but seriously thinking about either his Leiper or Mug to put over some Doc Hatch maybe just a proven cross of both or one from either side.

Bonanzas where never good gaff birds to begin with, I'm sure crossed they would do alotbetter..I dont have any experience with the cox blacks but given the advice from this thread and given that some one that posted has fed them and showed them when it was legal, I'll take his word for it..lol
    Last edited by YeY197; January 9th, 2013 at 11:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree with you buddy ,and i breed both of them but there made for l\k s\k fowls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CandCGamefarm View Post
    I will agree with you buddy ,and i breed both of them but there made for l\k s\k fowls
    i aint seen u around since we talked at browns couple years back how u doin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    3x in American last year long & short. 1/2 RFG 1/2 Bama Black. Hue B Nichols not Bama Sport blood. Now my old buddy got a great Sid line he been showing for years in gaff.
    I had the opportunity to get one of the last if not the last trio to leave H B Nichols place last year.atleast that's what the fellow told me and have no reason to doubt him. It was a older cock and hens but I didn't get em. Kinda wish I did now.

cockfighter_199

I have not seen Mike and Jimbos blacks but I have also heard they are good knife birds listen to hitmonkey he knows first hand I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cockfighter_199 View Post
    I have not seen Mike and Jimbos blacks but I have also heard they are good knife birds listen to hitmonkey he knows first hand I am sure.
    Ya hits been around a really ling time an knows a thing or two.. j/k but not too many blacks are good gaff fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

if you want blacks for the gaff the redquills i told u about would be hard to beat.If you want my advice find some good hatches then good roundheads or kelsos or clarets to cross with youll thank me a few years down the road

24. Thanks country thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sucess gamefarm View Post
    Ya hits been around a really ling time an knows a thing or two.. j/k but not too many blacks are good gaff fowl.
    Hey hey hey I aint old.....lol. I just go to same places these blacks get shown at and have had em in fly pens when they want to be the bama cocks are extrofonary cocks in lk

Chad there used be two brothers here made quill rhs they was bad boys in spur...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YeY197 View Post
    Best blacks I've seen when it was legal was some Mugs from a guy named Melvin F from MS..They can win fast and stay for the long run..I think he had them Leiper over Mug when I seen them. I've thought about it and I just cant take in another family of fowl right now but seriously thinking about either his Leiper or Mug to put over some Doc Hatch maybe just a proven cross of both or one from either side.

Bonanzas where never good gaff birds to begin with, I'm sure crossed they would do alotbetter..I dont have any experience with the cox blacks but given the advice from this thread and given that some one that posted has fed them and showed them when it was legal, I'll take his word for it..lol
    My dad pitted some shows in Mississippi for melvin f he knows i like black fowl and he sent me a pair to cross with my mel sims black last year said.it was the only way ge new how to thank is for helpin him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chad123 View Post
    if you want blacks for the gaff the redquills i told u about would be hard to beat.If you want my advice find some good hatches then good roundheads or kelsos or clarets to cross with youll thank me a few years down the road
    thanks bud yea i think those quills is the route i would have to take after reading threads here. i need to hollar at him. and yes sir we got liepers rubles and sammys hatches. and lacy rh that are tough. i just always said i was going to make me some good blacks. preciate the input bud

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hitmonkey 2 View Post
    My dad pitted some shows in Mississippi for melvin f he knows i like black fowl and he sent me a pair to cross with my mel sims black last year said.it was the only way ge new how to thank is for helpin him
    He a great guy..One of the days I seen him he had straight bred leipers and a few crosses and was deciding on which of all he had with him that day to put in..Well one leiper was a little off that day for whatever reason he didnt turn in his weight and he set him in a drop pen. My buddy shared a cockhouse with him so he introduced me to him we chatted a few words and right away he offered me the leiper cock to take home..I was baffled and flattered at the same time but I turned it down because I thought it was too much. I just met the guy didnt want to impose or seem like a mooch. Every time I see them they are in or really close to the money good honest birds.When legal they showed in gaff but I've seen that the majority of them perform well enough to be deadly in the SK as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey hey hey I aint old.....lol. I just go to same places these blacks get shown at and have had em in fly pens when they want to be the bama cocks are extrofonary cocks in lk

Chad there used be two brothers here made quill rhs they was bad boys in spur...
    Ive Always been a critic of black fowl ive just seen to many cold ones a couple years ago i got my hands on some redquills from a guy in ga they made me think twice about the black fowl.Quill/roundheads dont sound like a good cross does it i bet they threw some serious feet and cut every time they hit

Post Thanks / Like

Well u are right it dont sound good but these cocks would fly by u and kill u stone dead but could win a "chicken fight" too was pretty game only time I seen em stop a dead game cock couldn won it either type stoppin

Post Thanks / Like

a relly good thread, i"ve injoyed it so much, l.m.a.o. at some of it, but the bottom line is good black fowl are as scarce as hens teeth, and i"ve seen mine crossed on r.h. claret, asil,kelso,albany,but i just like them on hatch the best, oh forgot to mention whithackle,and even gray, once troy prater came here and wanted to buy a finly gray cock to breed to some sid hens, i told him he was making a mistake, but he still wanted him, i felt so bad for him that i went and got him a sid cock and a albany hen, told him to breed these and they would be alot better than he bought, well he raised some of the nicest black gray cocks i've ever seen, but they could not whip their momma, he raised 11 of the sid/albany cross i loaned him, got 7 of them stoled and won 5 stright with the other 5 sid/albany crosses, his brother told me a couple of days ago he showed them at buyou club after that as won day money with them, he said i was right, that i loaned him better than he bought, only thing was i had to go get my sid cock and albany hen back after three years, crossed on claret and r.h. they won cocker of the year in 2010 for a good buddy of mine, i just dont like the leg color of the sids used on yellow or pearl leged fowl, but its not a beautie thing now is it. hope you guys injoyed this story.

Post Thanks / Like

i havent seen them shown but they told us to our face that these are knife chickens.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Cox told me that the blacks can show the heel pure, but what he would prefer is the black grey. He said he can never keep enough of them.

Douglass told me that the hatch/bonanza are awesome in the heel. I know a man won coy in all weapons using this cross at the same pit I went to when legal.

U.S.A your best bet would to get good sids or mugs if you want to show the heel exclusively. The jimbo would be good for all weapons crossed right. If you wanted them for the gaff, get a trio of his blacks and trio of his grey, yfis Nick.

Post Thanks / Like

at nightfury.. u said mugs for the spur, would be OK...do you or do you know anyone, with any good mugs??? been lookin at Richard Kelley's coal miner...they look good, but I haven't read enough too gauge them...everything seems pretty good though

Lucas
    Last edited by lucasemerson; January 23rd, 2013 at 03:23 AM.