Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: The new gaff thread

Post Thanks / Like

The new gaff thread

i think what makes the gaff so apealing to me is their is no time limet. What draws you guys to the gaff?

2. Thanks Yunke8888, jemm65 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new gaff thread

Dunghills need not apply thats why i love the gaff

cockfighter_199

Quote Originally Posted by longheel View Post
    i think what makes the gaff so apealing to me is their is no time limet. What draws you guys to the gaff?
    I have always thought it gives a rooster a better chance of winning because the first fly does not always determine who wins. Everyone has a personal preference I just like the gaff fighting ways. I think it definitely proves gameness especially the shorter the gaff you use. And you must have a good cutter to beat a good rooster.

5. Likes bcorey, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gaff to me is not only the rooster in the fight but, the handler is in it also. To me there is no feeling like being in there with your rooster and letting him doing what god intended. I tell ya what it may not be a game rooster that wins every time in the gaff but, having fowl that will be there in the long haul will help worry less if it goes to the drag.

7. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What appeals most to me is that there are so many different strategies to winning. What strikes me most is you need fast cutters, but when you meet another fast cutter, and you will, (usually your money fight). You better have a back up plan.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; January 15th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

9. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Hatch-Mac, CajunDevil, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    What appeals most to me is that there are so many different strategies to winning. What strikes me most is you need fast cutters, but when you meet another fast cutter(and you will), you better have a back up plan.
    reminds me of a old hatch rh cock my dad has. he won his first three real quik. he would shuffle up a cocks breast then down his back . the fourth fight he got coupled in the first by a deadly cutting cock that out smarted him. he got up and won an hour and twenty later. Great rooster!!!! he will live out his days on the farm.

11. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes CajunDevil, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love watching them slug it out in drag

Post Thanks / Like

OK, better If this veers off-topic in anyway I will close this also. And whoever trolls here will get an instant ban, no warnings. New rule of this thread. This is strictly gaff. American/UK/Ozzie/Vietnamese gaff. None of that French nail or naked heel or postiza.

Have fun!

14. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes yard bird, bcorey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I love gaff! I've seen it a few times in the States and I love it. It's my weapon of choice. But here, I have no choice

Cheers!

16. Thanks Devonshire Main thanked for this post
    Likes Hatch-Mac, bcorey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the gaff . I enjoy watching a bird i breed compete against other guys roosters. Its all for pride not the money.

18. Likes bcorey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like the old sayin....with a dungheel u never in a fight...with a gamecock u never out of it! Thats why I like it u can get clipped in fly..rattled to death..knocked down...it dont matter if he dont finish u...u can always come back!

20. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gaff will show you everything you want to see and you will still have a good chance of bringing him home for future use. No roosters that are good is waisted.

22. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the gaff, because it's like a chess game instead of rolling the dice....The bird and I are partners in life and death struggle, my brain and skill, their ability and courage. Their courage and determination inspires me.

Post Thanks / Like

what i like about the gaff is that you have to have good game cocks to win or compete in the gaff and it also seperates the ones that dont take care of there fowl i see people that sit on the couch in the summer while the cocks are in moult then the moult is over and then they act like they have done so much for there fowl thats why i like the gaff it takes feed, clean water, and 365 days of good care not just a half a year yfis jeff

Post Thanks / Like

from egg to pit, gaff requires the most balanced type of cocks to be competitive. the cocks need to cut, have gameness, and have bottom. fighting styles and abilities such as speed, shuffling, power, intelligence, and atheleticism also come into play with gaff fowl regularly in the pit. when handled fairly in accordance to the rules, the best rooster has the greatest chance of winning in a gaff fight...

those are just a few of the reasons i enjoy the gaffs. a yard full of top competition gaff fowl will be the most balanced fowl you will find. when put to the test in tough competition on a regular basis, they will be tested for about as many traits and abilities as you can ask for them to be tested against...

why else would shortknife and longknife fanciers repeatedly buy and utilize american bred gaff fowl for their programs for so many years? it is because there is a solid, well rounded, and balanced existing base in which to draw from among gaff proven families of fowl.

don't get me wrong, i am not saying great gaff fowl automatically make top notch short and long knife fowl, i'm just saying you could not ask for a more balanced and hard tested base to utilize and incorporate into your program.

gaff is classic.

26. Thanks Yunke8888, MissouriMule thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Good keychain gaff makers ?

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like a blind cock in the drag get up n hit like a mule brood pen comes out

29. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The best part about the gaff is that usually the best bread cock wins not like the knife any barn yard dunghill can get a lucky shot and kill your best ace cock

31. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes BOOT LEGGER, yard bird, jemm65, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

to me gaff not only shows the caliber of the fowl but also the caliber of the man behind the fowl.

33. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

99% of the time the best all around cock wins.an after he proves himself you can retire him to the brood pen,unlike the knife where the winner often dies to.its hard to breed a good rooster when he's split in half

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blades61 View Post
    to me gaff not only shows the caliber of the fowl but also the caliber of the man behind the fowl.
    you are right blades you can always till the ones that lay around on the couch during the off season in the a/c out of the heat a good gaff man is out in the heat with them trying to figure out away to make the fowl better and making sure they always have water during the moult when everyone loses interest in there fowl is when they need the most care but usually around here where i live its when they get the less care healthy well cared for fowl are the best gaff cocks and thats what it takes yfis jeff

36. Likes gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it because all that hard work you put to get him from the brood pen to the pit shows how well you did

38. Likes Yunke8888, White hackle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the gaff bc I believe it shows what you're bird is made of and you have a better chance of showing that bc it takes all the luck out of it . Any dunghill can get a lucky lethal cut in with the knife and all it takes is that one lucky lick to kill you . And I just can't stand the Thot of putting all the time and care into a bird and have him fight his heart out for me and him win but still be cut all to pieces from a knife . I've had birds that showed tough as it gets against birds that were just as tough and I still loose but the other bird just gets that good shot in first and puts one of those deep rattles on you that you ain't coming back from . Then think you're bird ain't gonna live to even make it back to the cockhouse but get him back and put him in a stall and an hour later he be standing on his two feet

40. Thanks CajunDevil, Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes CajunDevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was half way threw reading the last gaff thread. Dang. Historicaly speaking, if u had a heavy shake (almost 7 lb) that was a shuffling ground fighter would u recomend a set of full drop/skeletons (heard em called both, come from behind the leather) 2 3/4" with a lot of set, or a pair of dukes 2 1/2" both med point. Seems like them lengthy full drops comin out by the prop toe could break a leg if a cock hit dirt.

42. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Low point View Post
    I was half way threw reading the last gaff thread. Dang. Historicaly speaking, if u had a heavy shake (almost 7 lb) that was a shuffling ground fighter would u recomend a set of full drop/skeletons (heard em called both, come from behind the leather) 2 3/4" with a lot of set, or a pair of dukes 2 1/2" both med point. Seems like them lengthy full drops comin out by the prop toe could break a leg if a cock hit dirt.
    I'd go with the 2 1/2 in dukes

Post Thanks / Like

lowpoint: I was half way threw reading the last gaff thread. Dang. Historicaly speaking, if u had a heavy shake (almost 7 lb) that was a shuffling ground fighter would u recomend a set of full drop/skeletons (heard em called both, come from behind the leather) 2 3/4" with a lot of set, or a pair of dukes 2 1/2" both med point. Seems like them lengthy full drops comin out by the prop toe could break a leg if a cock hit dirt.
    ??
    ??
    Thank You for devorcing the last gaff thread. you reffered to skeleton and a full drop gaff being the same. The full drop gaffs are a little different from a skeleton in that there is a little strap attatched to the hub of the flange and full drop the blade comes off the flange and below the leather with no attachment to the hub. Good for oriental type chickens. Maybe some can find a picture of them to compare?

45. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Low point View Post
    Earl here's some pics of different types of gaffs hope it helps

Skeletons

Duke 74's

High point regulations

Low point regulations

Full drops

Post Thanks / Like

Raf, that bottom pair aren't fulldrops, they are full bayonets. Fulldrops actually come out from the bottom leathers, the flange is kinda tear shaped and the blade of the gaff comes off the bottom of it...nice thou..
    Last edited by Mike Everett; January 15th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

48. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was introduced to the sport, I watched world slasher videos and I was amazed at how fast these birds are. I then went to the Pit for short knives and gaffs with a friend and I was hooked on how skillful the birds and amazing handlers there. So I decided to go with gaff because I wanted to be one of the handlers there. After put so much time, afford to care for my birds, I wanted to handle them myself and be there with them till their last breath or walk out the pit head high together.

50. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes hoghunterdave, CajunDevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Raf, that bottom pair aren't fulldrops, they are full bayonets. Fulldrops actually come out from the bottom leathers, the flange is kinda tear shaped and the blade of the gaff comes off the bottom of it...nice thou..
    Thanks mike for clearing that up I was mistaken on what they were then . I've never used them boys on the bottom tho been kinda scared to use them thier 2 3/4 long