Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: more impressive? sk win untouched or gaff win in the drag?

Post Thanks / Like

more impressive? sk win untouched or gaff win in the drag?

Was curious as to which was more desirable when legal? I have witnessed both have owned both but I was just curious now that breeding season is upon us...thanks brad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: more impressive? sk win untouched or gaff win in the drag?

A long hour and half drag. When you go out of the main 100-50 behind. You weather the 30 minute storm then slowly start hitting harder and harder. Then WHAM you even things up. Next pitting you start to see the results of all you labors shine

Post Thanks / Like

My chickens need atleast 5 sk clean fights to impress me .

Post Thanks / Like

i seen a guy fight a 1/2 rhode island red 1/2 kelso in sk three times winnin clean,,, then he fought em in battle royal and he ran around pit till fight was nearly over and cocks was pretty much knocked down then he went to hittin the last two cocks got handled it was him and another cock the bigstock cock hacked and wouldn show face and lost untouched so,,,, i take the two hour eye out wings broke rattled to death knocked down cock that refused to loose anyday!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hitmonkey!!! View Post
    i seen a guy fight a 1/2 rhode island red 1/2 kelso in sk three times winnin clean,,, then he fought em in battle royal and he ran around pit till fight was nearly over and cocks was pretty much knocked down then he went to hittin the last two cocks got handled it was him and another cock the bigstock cock hacked and wouldn show face and lost untouched so,,,, i take the two hour eye out wings broke rattled to death knocked down cock that refused to loose anyday!!!!
    That's a good hit.............lol

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more impressed by the game to the core gaff birds.

Post Thanks / Like

on the long run i guess its more impressive in the gaff which is more desireable of course when legal

Post Thanks / Like

I am LK man. I think you would be impressed more by the one u show in. I feel like a rooster coming from behind in the gaff. Is impressive but he put himself in that predicament. I would be more I'mpressed by one that wins in gaff in one pitting. Gameness can be tested by other roosters in the line. To win clean in short knife is impressive. The one member has his birds win at least 5 clean before he is impressed. That is amazing. Just to win 5 times in any knife impresses me.

Aloha

Post Thanks / Like

I like to see a cock win in the fly but the most impresive win is when you take a cock thats beat down, blind, rattled to death, and should be dead then he gets up and ends up running his oppoent off now thats impresive. Back 10 years ago me and my cousin bought some cocks to show they was this hatch/claret cock that we showed everywhere in every weapon and he would never get touched his 1st fight was in the lk and he won untouched, his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th was in the gaff and he won them like he was in the lk then my cousin hacked one night in the sk and he won it the same way my cousin now theres a good brood cock I told him dont breed that cock he cant be game because a game cock dont fight like that well he raised about 30 stags out of him when some of the stags turned a year old he showed them to test them everyone ran he went home and killed every hen he had I told him dont kill the hens kill the cock he looked at me like I was stupid he said take him home and get him ready you got that show up for the gaff and we will put him in there with them I told him nah I will get him ready and you can hack him he said ok well last fight didnt go good for him he meet a big dark hatch cock that hatch cock well was just like I said blind,rattled to death, and should have been dead in a few mintues that old hatch cock through a shuffle and that so called good cock started sqwakin he looked at me like what did you do to him he could not beleive that the cock ran now thats impresive when you come from behind and win like that yfis jeff

Post Thanks / Like

The object of the sport is to win quick and so when that is done... dunghill or not it is impressive. It doesnt matter what weapon, and I dont think anyone who competed put there birds up with having to going to the drag to win.

Winning in a drag is bragging rights and something to have pride in. This is a dedication to breeding true and is the greatest satisfaction knowing that your breeding program has this sound fondation to develop from.

roundhead man

If you bring those game to the core cocks to the sk shows they will stay there unless you like taking home dead birds. But that being said without those game to the core birds our sport would slowly wither away jmo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roundhead man View Post
    If you bring those game to the core cocks to the sk shows they will stay there unless you like taking home dead birds. But that being said without those game to the core birds our sport would slowly wither away jmo
    so your saying only dunghills can win in the knife well i guess thats why i dont fight in the knife I think mr akins might have something to say about this one and some of the other guys on here

Post Thanks / Like

have a gaffed rooster beat 15 LK roosters and the gaffed rooster is untouched.

when that happens, i will be the one to set up a memorial, a statue, and write a 200 page autobiography about the bird.

Post Thanks / Like

I fought in the gaff in the 80s and early 90s.Mostly Hatch Clarets and their crosses.Won 26 derby fights with 9 Hatch Claret stags and never went to the drag.I naver have fought in the knife.It looks like a lot of luck and good roosters.

Post Thanks / Like

Reason im asking is I have a few grey albanys two different bloodlines from two different people both have won impressively each weapon when legal, I have chose to breed both cocks but I cant help to be more excited from one cross or the other, and everyday i see em im wondering which will throw better stags? Or which one had a more impressive win? Sorry im having breeders anticipation issues ha ha the sk bird has won 3 times the gaff bird has won twice and his brothers have went to drag each time one won one lost these greys will fight till every feather is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaLomaRanch View Post
    My chickens need atleast 5 sk clean fights to impress me .
    Damn too many good birds around here for that, but thats impressive!

Post Thanks / Like

if i had to choose a broodcock from a rooster that had won 10 quick fights untouched or one that won 1 hard drag fight id choose the hard drag fight every time thats the way ive always chose broodcocks and the way i always will

Post Thanks / Like

I knew a guy who ruined a family of hatch . He breed to the long drag fights cocks. This family got were they didnt cut at all. That brother who wins fast. Should get looked at for a brood cock too. If you dont cut cant win.

cockfighter_199

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    I knew a guy who ruined a family of hatch . He breed to the long drag fights cocks. This family got were they didnt cut at all. That brother who wins fast. Should get looked at for a brood cock too. If you dont cut cant win.
    If the family was a dead game non cutting family why didn't he breed them to a cutting family? If the hatch were dead game and all but did not cut breed the hatch to a cutting family like kelso,round head,claret
    Last edited by cockfighter_199; January 16th, 2013 at 07:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cockfighter_199 View Post
    If the family was a dead game non cutting family why didn't he breed them to a cutting family? If the hatch were dead game and all but did not cut breed the hatch to a cutting family like kelso,round head,claret
    It was in the 80s. He just quit them. I would love to have them know myself. They were a blue face family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 187farms View Post
    Reason im asking is I have a few grey albanys two different bloodlines from two different people both have won impressively each weapon when legal, I have chose to breed both cocks but I cant help to be more excited from one cross or the other, and everyday i see em im wondering which will throw better stags? Or which one had a more impressive win? Sorry im having breeders anticipation issues ha ha the sk bird has won 3 times the gaff bird has won twice and his brothers have went to drag each time one won one lost these greys will fight till every feather is gone.
    It does look like you have two good families of Grey Albanies. Continue breeding those that produced the winners. Line breed the winners to their moms and Line breed theirs sisters to their dads and continue to evaluate them. Good greys and good Albanies are good combinations specially for SK and Gaff, and even LK. So your SK winner I would think can also win in the gaff, and your Gaff winner can also win in the SK. History can also help ease your anxiety. What kind of weapon(s)have your source of these fowls been competing them with?
    Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

You are right filamex, by chance only have they showed the weapons they have, lack of participants in a certain show have dictated the weapon when legal, thanks

roundhead man

Quote Originally Posted by chad123 View Post
    so your saying only dunghills can win in the knife well i guess thats why i dont fight in the knife I think mr akins might have something to say about this one and some of the other guys on here
    Lol I can give to ****s what he has to say about it now that being said you breed for the particular type of show that you attend this is not saying that there isn't certain lines that can do well in all the shows just say its harder to have that then it is to breed towards what fits you. And no I didn't say only dunghills can win in K you took my statement out of context

roundhead man

Quote Originally Posted by cockfighter_199 View Post
    Not trying to argue
    Just going to point something out why is it that nowadays more than 1/2 of the hatch families out there cut just as good as any other family out there my guess would be cuz they were Tired of loosing with there dead game birds. Now tell me that this didn't come at the expense of loosing a little bit of the gameness. Now Iam not saying that's the case with all of them but Iam Iam saying it is with the better portion of them

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody considered that the sk opponent that did not "touch" the winner was not reaching?Maybe the winner out broke the loser,out smarted him or just avoided the damage;BUT it is also possible the other bird did not "reach to kill".On the other hand g style breeders look for that long drag winner for their brood cock,although I do not agree with this so much either.If I have several full brothers and I am looking for a brood cock,I do not use the drag pit as the only guide for that choice.If one of the brothers has won several contests on his cutting ability (quickly),then I would be more likely to breed him then I would the brother who won one long drag.Same genes,same gameness (basicly),but the cutter would pass on the better cutting ability.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys keep showing them one hour drag put game birds and ill love to meet you any weapon with my fowl that can cut if you can cut you dont need that drag for a hour

Post Thanks / Like

Gaff drag.. just takes one lucky hit in the fly to win sk. Just as much as. Lk nearly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsygamefarm View Post
    You guys keep showing them one hour drag put game birds and ill love to meet you any weapon with my fowl that can cut if you can cut you dont need that drag for a hour
    There is plenty out there that can do both, why choose between???

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: more impressive? sk win untouched or gaff win in the drag?

Quote Originally Posted by 187farms View Post
    Was curious as to which was more desirable when legal? I have witnessed both have owned both but I was just curious now that breeding season is upon us...thanks brad
    The idea is to start with gameness as its the only trait to my knowledge that can't be simply corrected with selective breeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotcocker View Post
    Gaff drag.. just takes one lucky hit in the fly to win sk. Just as much as. Lk nearly.
    sorry hotcocker i disagree,i come from longknife country,lk is one lucky hit.lol.lol..that sk is a diffrent story from what i seen,the sk knife you take alot,and you gotta be able to pay him rite back..ive had birds take them to the air in one fly and game over,now thats with the sk..i shake my head and said what the hell.lol.lol..imagine if i strap a 5 inch lk...if you can send to the hub in one pitting with a sk,damn thats a deep cutting monster.lol.lol..that gaff is a whole diffrent world.lol.lol..JMHO..aloha!!!
    Last edited by POOKELA; January 16th, 2013 at 02:43 PM.