Thread: Saville Birchens

Post Thanks / Like

Saville Birchens

looking for some info on this breed espeicially the silver back birchens of Mr.savilles,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saville Birchens

Are you talking about Tony saville? The breeder and good friend of Kenny Triano? from canyon farms.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking about Anthony they have good speed and cut but no power

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the reply anthony saville is where this cock came from was hoping to breed him over some proven line of hatch,see what come out with,

Post Thanks / Like

Any more info on mr savilles silver and golden birchens?

Post Thanks / Like

http://i45.tinypic.com/fp14ys.jpg This is my silver back saville birchen,breeding over bf/givens hatch hens this season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bull499 View Post
    http://i45.tinypic.com/fp14ys.jpg This is my silver back saville birchen,breeding over bf/givens hatch hens this season
    talked with mr. saville my info was wrong was told this was a silver birchen it is a gold birchen instead

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking rooster there what style do they have?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks from what i have seen fast and accurate,but needs added power,as jt stated ,crossing over a couple of hatch hens see if i can get em there..
    Last edited by bull499; January 29th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a number or any info on how to reach mr. Saville

Post Thanks / Like

Saville Birchens..... and Lutz Birchens.....???? Different breeders and beliefs or are they?? Judge for yourself.. I have tried to study the Birchen blood and breeders maybe as much as anyone out there.

Saville Birchens were made by Mr Saville. He believes Birchen is a color so has bred them to breed true to color. He has put this and that in them to make them his Birchens, and they come pea comb. You would have to ask them what the this and that are. I do not have all the answers there. My question though is why are the pea combed?

Lutz Birchen. Nunis, Rons Gold??? , and others Ron believes that Birchens are Birchens. They are a breed and a family, but if they look like Birchens they are Birchens, and if they have Birchen blood in them, they are Birchens. That is his belief, not mine.

What happened to a pure family of chickens? Makes me think of a post on Face book that someone put up a picture of Chicken **** and said it was pure.

Gold Birchens:

Gold. Probably all of the Gold Birchen blood out there, has come from the old cock Ned that I bought from Ron. He didn't raise him though Jack Boydston did. Ned was 7/8 Farris and 1/8 Davis. NO ONE has the Davis family anymore. The gold color all came from one hen, and that was Neds mother. Ned had a brother, and I am sure that Anthony, and Ken also raised Gold birds out of that hen. The pure Davis line died with Jerry Davis a gaff maker in OK. He had pure Farris Birchens. Neds mother ended up from Jack Boydston, to Ken Love, to Anthony Saville. That means Anthonys Gold blood could be the same blood as Rons Gold Blood. I am not saying same as being the same family because they are NOT. By same I meant the gold color came from the same Gold Birds. That being from the mother of the old cock Ned who I still own. He is with a hen again this year, and that hen is a Jack Boydston Farris hen, but it is very unlikely I will get any fertile eggs. If I could get a any fertile eggs, they would be as pure as you could get any Birchen blood.

I tried my best to breed them as a pure family however Ned was already sterile when I got him. Later I got his son, or so I thought. Two years after breeding him to pure hens from Jack Boydston, I find out he isn't what I thought he was. He also came from Ron. note" Remember what I said above. To Ron if it looks like a Birchen it is pure birchen. If its Gold it is a pure Gold Birchen.

I could go on, but the above is my experience. I have not purchased or seen Anthonys fowl. Just know a little about their makeup and his ideas on Birchens.

What am I doing with mine? That still remains to be seen. There will not be many at all this year due to my crazy work schedule. I haven't given up on "all" of them. And have one good friend helping me try to raise them in a number of different directions. Time will tell which way I go.
    Last edited by Goldenbirchens; April 30th, 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: to further explain .

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Your hens are very nice........

Quote Originally Posted by bull499 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

True Brichens are straight combs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenbirchens View Post
    Saville Birchens..... and Lutz Birchens.....???? Different breeders and beliefs or are they?? Judge for yourself.. I have tried to study the Birchen blood and breeders maybe as much as anyone out there.

Saville Birchens were made by Mr Saville. He believes Birchen is a color so has bred them to breed true to color. He has put this and that in them to make them his Birchens, and they come pea comb. You would have to ask them what the this and that are. I do not have all the answers there. My question though is why are the pea combed?

Lutz Birchen. Nunis, Rons Gold??? , and others Ron believes that Birchens are Birchens. They are a breed and a family, but if they look like Birchens they are Birchens, and if they have Birchen blood in them, they are Birchens. That is his belief, not mine.

What happened to a pure family of chickens? Makes me think of a post on Face book that someone put up a picture of Chicken **** and said it was pure.

Gold Birchens:

Gold. Probably all of the Gold Birchen blood out there, has come from the old cock Ned that I bought from Ron. He didn't raise him though Jack Boydston did. Ned was 7/8 Farris and 1/8 Davis. NO ONE has the Davis family anymore. The gold color all came from one hen, and that was Neds mother. Ned had a brother, and I am sure that Anthony, and Ken also raised Gold birds out of that hen. The pure Davis line died with Jerry Davis a gaff maker in OK. He had pure Farris Birchens. Neds mother ended up from Jack Boydston, to Ken Love, to Anthony Saville. That means Anthonys Gold blood could be the same blood as Rons Gold Blood. I am not saying same as being the same family because they are NOT. By same I meant the gold color came from the same Gold Birds. That being from the mother of the old cock Ned who I still own. He is with a hen again this year, and that hen is a Jack Boydston Farris hen, but it is very unlikely I will get any fertile eggs. If I could get a any fertile eggs, they would be as pure as you could get any Birchen blood.

I tried my best to breed them as a pure family however Ned was already sterile when I got him. Later I got his son, or so I thought. Two years after breeding him to pure hens from Jack Boydston, I find out he isn't what I thought he was. He also came from Ron. note" Remember what I said above. To Ron if it looks like a Birchen it is pure birchen. If its Gold it is a pure Gold Birchen.

I could go on, but the above is my experience. I have not purchased or seen Anthonys fowl. Just know a little about their makeup and his ideas on Birchens.

What am I doing with mine? That still remains to be seen. There will not be many at all this year due to my crazy work schedule. I haven't given up on "all" of them. And have one good friend helping me try to raise them in a number of different directions. Time will tell which way I go.

Post Thanks / Like

@ greenlegs..."true birchens are strait comb"...?

You feel the same with hatch bloodlines? Now hatch come strait and pea comb, both performe good.....maybe Saville birchen are the next improved version of birchens, just like the hatch families have changed and improved with time...and many other families of gamefowl..

Post Thanks / Like

In that case, everyone has the right to call his bird any name. It's upto the other person what to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSpangle View Post
    @ greenlegs..."true birchens are strait comb"...?

You feel the same with hatch bloodlines? Now hatch come strait and pea comb, both performe good.....maybe Saville birchen are the next improved version of birchens, just like the hatch families have changed and improved with time...and many other families of gamefowl..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenlegs View Post
    In that case, everyone has the right to call his bird any name. It's upto the other person what to believe.
    For starters the word "PURE" does not exist in my book pertaining to game fowl! As you all know the crossing of great bloodlines were used to get what we have now! Grady hens over shelton cock and over redquill hens and that! but in the hands of the breeder he infused this bloodline! What we have now is a melting pot of bloodlines that once we got the traits that we wanted, we started to inbreed and line breeding. So when you get a bloodline in your yard you can call it what ever you want just as long you state what bloodline it carries! Call them "House Movers" but state they carry ted mclean blood. Call them Radios, but state they carry Kelso, you name it!