Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tie Cord Thread!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: The Tie Cord Thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OER farms View Post
    when we are just rotating and not showing, every few days is ok. if we are training a show, that gets cut to every few hours.

for the regular yard cocks, we try to move them once a week to a different teepee just so they keep busy , seeing different cocks around them, and putting them on a new stringwalk will keep their minds sharp.

you're right about handling your birds. if you get them used to you touching them, without hurting them, you are not only helping them, you're helping yourself by taming them for when it does come time to train.
    manfighters sure are a hassle, ive noticed we make manfighter unless one is gentle,
    tie cords sure help alot too in picking up a manfighter cock or stag,
    even if you have them in flypens just leave a tie cord but not attached just loose from his foot it helps you piking them up easier and more gentle use a stick with a nail to grab the cord in pen,
    jessie..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tie Cord Thread!!!

I say if possible put them on cord asap just much healthier for them on good grass tge.longer the better plus exercise as lot of advantages of being able to cord them

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info im look into some barrels and tie cords to place in my yard,
    jessie..

Post Thanks / Like

The only down fall is that you need a good dog or a good fence to deal with varmits but this is in the hills of kentucky tho

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody here use nylon hitches if so how much do you pay for them at your local stores.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen stags with leg problems on cords and would rather put in pen

Post Thanks / Like

my buddy david duran is fascinated with tie cords he makes some of the best various types and with different materials he specializes in cords ill post his number tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Bob boled used to cut and weld half a barrel on top of another barrel so a barrel and a half his birds and use, he said he never won a derby off a fly pen.. he used his orientals and blacks so it might work for diffrent breeds in fly pens

Post Thanks / Like

If I could not put my cocks & stags on cords. I would feel I was doing my birds a huge injustice. Sure varmits get a few. The rewards are some much greater! Let alone the ease of catching & taming & worming & rotating & on & on...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingrattler View Post
    my buddy david duran is fascinated with tie cords he makes some of the best various types and with different materials he specializes in cords ill post his number tomorrow
    Thank you sir, that would be great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We use brooder tops on 35 gallon barrels with oklahoma hitches... proveds great shade... over 100 for 45 days without any birds lost to heat.

Post Thanks / Like

This is our other tie out yard .... They are combination of the plastic with 2x8 bases and our all metal teepees

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcreek View Post
    This is our other tie out yard .... They are combination of the plastic with 2x8 bases and our all metal teepees
    Out of the three types that you have which do you like the most?

Post Thanks / Like

We use brooder tops on 35 gallon barrels with oklahoma hitches... proveds great shade... over 100 for 45 days without any birds lost to heat.

very nice set up, will look into finding some of those brooder tops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo88 View Post
    Out of the three types that you have which do you like the most?
    Pro's and Con's

The white teepees are nice clean look and easy to put together... Con's are height is not to my liking... I dont like them without the wood bases. I also dont like having tie cords staked into the ground.

The all metal teepees are great except sharp edges so you have to watch the cords and need to watch the birds when first put on the teepee. Like that it provides alot of shade and wind break in the winter. They have a roost inside that is as tall as the white teepees so most birds roost inside at night... helps with owl problems.

The barrels with the brooder tops... are perfect for me as it provide all the shade for the summer and they can go inside for the winter. They never get tangled up as the cord comes out of the top. The downfall is the height, but have worked out a solution for that... Will show pictures when I take of what we call towers. We took a 55 gal then brooder top and put a 35 gallon on top. Its about 5' 6" tall we put 9' tie cords with and that allows them good room and never tangles up. We also have put the towers together with 3 barrles its tall and use them instead of fly pens now..

Post Thanks / Like

Where did u get all ur brooder tops?

Post Thanks / Like

Pro's and Con's

The white teepees are nice clean look and easy to put together... Con's are height is not to my liking... I dont like them without the wood bases. I also dont like having tie cords staked into the ground.

The all metal teepees are great except sharp edges so you have to watch the cords and need to watch the birds when first put on the teepee. Like that it provides alot of shade and wind break in the winter. They have a roost inside that is as tall as the white teepees so most birds roost inside at night... helps with owl problems.

The barrels with the brooder tops... are perfect for me as it provide all the shade for the summer and they can go inside for the winter. They never get tangled up as the cord comes out of the top. The downfall is the height, but have worked out a solution for that... Will show pictures when I take of what we call towers. We took a 55 gal then brooder top and put a 35 gallon on top. Its about 5' 6" tall we put 9' tie cords with and that allows them good room and never tangles up. We also have put the towers together with 3 barrles its tall and use them instead of fly pens now..
    Very good info sir thanks much, and I'll look forward to the pics of your updated teepee's

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogelio Monzon View Post
    i have barrels and teepes....i like the barrels better in my opion....i tie the cord from the midle of the top of the barrels and the cords are 10 ft long so the roosters walk around 360 around the barrel....
    I do mine the same way and like it do far . Do you put a piece of PVC pipe on the cord at the edge of the barrel to keep it from sticking and rubbing on the edge of the barrel ?

Post Thanks / Like

very nice tiecord setup had to look at it second time!

Post Thanks / Like

Sugarcreek. Do you get your brooder tops from a chicken house supply store?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter R Farm View Post
    I do mine the same way and like it do far . Do you put a piece of PVC pipe on the cord at the edge of the barrel to keep it from sticking and rubbing on the edge of the barrel ?
    What I do is buy those plastic washer and put the barrel nut so it spins easier at the top hole.... Then on the top lid part before it starts to slope down I put a barrel nut plastic washer barrel nut... making a wheel that helps it move freely at that top edge. Then on the edge of the brooder top I put that black plast water hose for like ice maker lines..about 6 inches and keep in place with barrel nuts.

If you dont do this the tie cord will be abbrasive and not slide around the barrel as easily but also it keeps the tie cord from wearing out on the friction points on the edge at the top and outstide.

What I have done now is started using steal cable on the towers the weight is not a problem as it is hanging down and actually is moving much easier than the tie cord rope. So I am hoping to this is better because I have 20k feet of this brakeline cable on the place when I bought it... its the same diameter as tie cord string.

You can check with your local commercial poultry supply houses they usually deal in used items also. Or find them with they bring down the older house. They run me anywhere from 5 -10 a piece...

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]

how my tp's are made.

Post Thanks / Like

How you keep them from falling over if you get high winds? They look very top heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect-Gull View Post
    How you keep them from falling over if you get high winds? They look very top heavy.
    There is a 2x4 stop drove in the ground behind it with one screw threw the back of the top part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace08 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

how my tp's are made.
    Great idea! The best part of this site sharing ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

David Duran tie cord Guy 209 604 6251

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace08 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

how my tp's are made.
    really nice bro! thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, this is the only way to make em in my eyes. They provide shade and shelter every way you look at it. And also a good place for setting hens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any of y'all ever tried piling up pine straw around you're barrels for the birds to scratch in ? I got a row of barrels next to the wood line so the grass isn't to great over there and I raked up the whole yard the past few days and was wondering what I was gonna do with all this pine straw so I decided to pile it up all the way around those barrels on the wood line . Figured it would help keep the birds on those cords in good shape while not being conditioned so by the time they make it to conditioning they will already be in somewhat good shape in the legs

Post Thanks / Like

ive seen all kinds of different ideas people have came up with for their tie cords such as barrels, teepees ect.

i recently moved and my new place doesnt have much of a flat area that i could use as a tie cord area, what little flat area is available will be use for brood pens, stag pens, barrels colony, and fly pens... im needing to come up with a good idea as to what would be best to use or do to tie birds out on a hillside.

here is the area im wanting to use a my cord area.