Thread: freezing temp / hatching eggs

Post Thanks / Like

freezing temp / hatching eggs

I did a search and read several threads but did not get a definite answer to my questions . Temperature in my area down to high 20's .Eggs on hay in nest buckets , now the question is if the eggs are not removed from nest and they do not freeze to the point they swell and crack are they still good to leave in the nest to hatch .. so yea eggs probably froze or near froze , no not cracked ,will they hatch .... all opinions welcome but would really like to hear from personal experiences with this question .

Thanks YFIS MILLPOND GAMEFARM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: freezing temp / hatching eggs

Quote Originally Posted by MILLPOND View Post
    I did a search and read several threads but did not get a definite answer to my questions . Temperature in my area down to high 20's .Eggs on hay in nest buckets , now the question is if the eggs are not removed from nest and they do not freeze to the point they swell and crack are they still good to leave in the nest to hatch .. so yea eggs probably froze or near froze , no not cracked ,will they hatch .... all opinions welcome but would really like to hear from personal experiences with this question .

Thanks YFIS MILLPOND GAMEFARM
    I've been reading the same threads concerning this.All I can add is I just hatched off a batch of chicks in my incubator and most of the eggs had been exposed to freezing or near freezing temperatures.None were cracked and I only got a little over 60% to hatch.I usually get a much higher percentage than that to hatch.I think the eggs were effected by the cold but I'm still really happy to get some hatched off this early.I usually don't get any hatched off until march so getting some hatched in january was nice.Just my two cents on the matter.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experiences in the past if I gathered them from the nest daily I had good hatch % but not when I left them in the nest over night in freezing temps. I would get around 50%. So I don't hatch and till march

Post Thanks / Like

I start hatching early, and also collect my eggs daily and my hatch rate is 96% or better, and temps here are single digits and teen for the past week, even below zero windchills but I have never left the eggs in the nests for the hens to hatch so I couldn't realy give you an accurate answer to your questons

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I've been reading the same threads concerning this.All I can add is I just hatched off a batch of chicks in my incubator and most of the eggs had been exposed to freezing or near freezing temperatures.None were cracked and I only got a little over 60% to hatch.I usually get a much higher percentage than that to hatch.I think the eggs were effected by the cold but I'm still really happy to get some hatched off this early.I usually don't get any hatched off until march so getting some hatched in january was nice.Just my two cents on the matter.
    Thanks LoneWolf , that's about what I expected ,and about the same results I've had in the past using my incubator . This year I'm going to leave them with the hen to hatch . I was thinking others might have had
    good results with hatching in colder locations than mine .... Any way thanks for the response and the info. , I can deal with 60 % this time of year ..... YFIS Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

last season i hen hatched 5 clutches in near or below freezing temps with a 99% hatching

Post Thanks / Like

I had a hen hatch 6 of 10 Jan. 5. One hatch 8 of 10 Jan. 11. One hatch 13 of 14 Jan 13.
    One hatch 11 of 13 Jan 14 and one hatch 11 of 13 Jan 18. All this season,and I never touched any of the eggs,they where all in nest with straw and ceadar chips up of the ground. For what it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
    I had a hen hatch 6 of 10 Jan. 5. One hatch 8 of 10 Jan. 11. One hatch 13 of 14 Jan 13.
    One hatch 11 of 13 Jan 14 and one hatch 11 of 13 Jan 18. All this season,and I never touched any of the eggs,they where all in nest with straw and ceadar chips up of the ground. For what it's worth.
    hey thanks everybody for the info. that's just what I was looking for...
    bossman how cold were the temps in your area dec. and first part of jan.

thanks YFIS

Post Thanks / Like

From what i understand the egg shell is there to protect the embryo. The shell act like an insulator. Just because its freezing outside doesnt mean inside the egg is freezing. It would have to get very could to freeze the egg. Also the nest material helps in keeping warm.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in SC too. So you know how the weather is here.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you do with the eggs after you gather them?
    And do u put the eggs back in her nest so she will set?

Post Thanks / Like

I also did the incubator last season but this year want to hen hatch and was gonna start this very thread....so just to get right to the point at what degrees would u say pull the eggs in even if for a few days till warmer weather then return to the nest? How cold is to cold would u say? And does it make a big difference if the nest is on the ground or off the ground? I heard pros for both ways such as moisture ect....

roundhead man

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw greys ll View Post
    What do you do with the eggs after you gather them?
    And do u put the eggs back in her nest so she will set?
    i gather them everyday and set them in the egg racks that are for our inqubator and place them at a slight angle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
    I'm in SC too. So you know how the weather is here.
    hey that's cool bossman didn't realize you were in s.c. too . That's real encouraging results maybe I'll get lucky and get some off early too....

I'm in darlington s.c send me a pm if you don't mind would love to find out if your close to me .

YFIS EDDIE MILLPOND GAMEFARM

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a incubator so I don't pick up the eggs. I let my hens set on them and hatch them out. The last 3 days the water cups have been frozen. In the 15 to 20 at night should I toss the eggs out and let them start over?
    How can I tell if they froze?
    Are the eggs still good ?

Post Thanks / Like

If it has been freezing 3 days in a row i would toss them personally. What u can do is candle them, if they froze u will see spider cracks in the shell

17. Likes matt59 liked this post