Thread: Breeding methods

Post Thanks / Like

Question Breeding methods

I know this is a touchy subject but here it goes.

BASIC CROSSING

pure hatch x pure kelso = 1/2 hatch 1/2 kelso

pure hatch x 1/2 hatch 1/2 kelso= 3/4 hatch 1/4 kelso

pure hatch x 3/4 hatch 1/4 kelso= 7/8 hatch 1/8 kelso

5/8 & 3/8

3/4 hatch 1/4 kelso x 1/2 hatch 1/2 kelso = 5/8 hatch 3/8 kelso

3/4 hatch 1/4 kelso x pure kelso= 5/8 kelso 3/8 hatch

Theological BREEDing

I have found that a few theorys on breeding has produced finer quality battle fowl. i like to breed grandsons to grandmas to get my 5/8 and 3/8 in theory it keeps the gene pool close.

Hatch cock A x Kelso hen B = 1/2 hatch 1/2 kelso (hen B's son/daughter)

Hatch cock A x 1/2 hatch 1/2 kelso= 3/4 hatch 1/4 kelso ( hen B's grand children)

3/4 hatch 1/4 kelso x kelso hen B = 5/8 kelso 3/8 hatch

it is important in this breeding you breed the oringenal hen "B" to her grand son............................................... .................................................

YOUR BREEDING IDEAS

Now what do you guys do, lets get together and teach each and everyone or just somebody and hopefully me something...

THANK YOU,
    kyfinest y.f.i.s.
    Last edited by kyfinest; February 7th, 2013 at 06:52 AM.

2. Thanks roduls_82 thanked for this post
    Likes roduls_82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breeding methods

is it possible to make a 9/16 7/16 cross

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not to discourage or contradict anyone but no matter what numbers are used it seems to me that a cross is a cross. And the progeny will always exhibit traits from both or all branches of the families with dominance being the biggest influence.

Even if it's 1/16 this and 15/16 that if the original traits of both parties were used in line breeding. Then the progeny will still be as mixed up as the first generation half and half. Maybe it gets more and more difficult to get the opposite traits but it would still be there.

To "purify" more or less, you will need to chose the male offspring that looks most like his mom in phenotype. Mate him back and again choose the male that most resembles the mom again. Eventually all the offspring will all be pure to the traits of the mom.

The opposite can also be done with the females to the dad.

When none of the other traits come out again then you have a pure line ;-)

Rejoinder: this is true only if the parent you are purifying to is pure for those traits in the first place. If they were crossed for those traits then the offspring will never be pure.

You will have better chances by mating brother sister with exactly the same traits you like. And carry on that way untill no other trait comes up outside of your specified phenotype.

But thats just my "theory" extrapolated from my limited breeding experience.
    Last edited by jailbird; February 8th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post
    This is not to discourage or contradict anyone but no matter what numbers are used it seems to me that a cross is a cross. And the progeny will always exhibit traits from both or all branches of the families with dominance being the biggest influence.

Even if it's 1/16 this and 15/16 that if the original traits of both parties were used in line breeding. Then the progeny will still be as mixed up as the first generation half and half. Maybe it gets more and more difficult to get the opposite traits but it would still be there.

To "purify" more or less, you will need to chose the male offspring that looks most like his mom in phenotype. Mate him back and again choose the male that most resembles the mom again. Eventually all the offspring will all be pure to the traits of the mom.

The opposite can also be done with the females to the dad.

When none of the other traits come out again then you have a pure line ;-)

Rejoinder: this is true only if the parent you are purifying to is pure for those traits in the first place. If they were crossed for those traits then the offspring will never be pure.

You will have better chances by mating brother sister with exactly the same traits you like. And carry on that way untill no other trait comes up outside of your specified phenotype.

But thats just my "theory" extrapolated from my limited breeding experience.
    "And the progeny will always exhibit traits from both or all branches of the families with dominance being the biggest influence."

I agree, the crosses will always exhibit traits from both lines, but in my breeding experience when you breed 3/4 and 1/4 crosses for example Hatch Clarets, at 3/4 hatch they hit harder but at 3/4 claret they cutt better, in the hatch/claret case 1/2 and 1/2 was the best cross.

but in the case of hatch/roundheads the 1/2 and 1/2 were good but the 3/4 hatch 1/4 roundhead could eat the 1/2 and 1/2's for breakfeast

I think it all goes back to it depends on the line

6. Thanks roduls_82 thanked for this post
    Likes roduls_82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Warrior View Post
    is it possible to make a 9/16 7/16 cross
    Yes,

7/8 Hatch 1/8 Kelso x Pure Kelso = 7/16 hatch 9/16 kelso

Post Thanks / Like

breed to what makes you happy. if you like 1/2 & 1/2. then just breed to that. breeding should be fun. don't make it a chore.