Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hatching % on your SHIPPED EGGS?

Post Thanks / Like

Hatching % on your SHIPPED EGGS?

Have you ever received eggs by mail?
    What was your hatching percentage?
    How many days old were the eggs?
    Please add anything interesting and how did they turn out.
    Thanks.

2. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hatching % on your SHIPPED EGGS?

My rates on shipped eggs are probly around 15% no idea how old the eggs were but I think my low hatch rates were due to air cell problem even if I let them sit for a day. My best was probly 50% . What I did different that time was incubate as soon as I recieved them and humidity 45%.1-18 70% lockdown. Before that I dried incubated and it didnt work well for me. I never really ordered from a reputable breeder but had 100% fertility on all my orders all would develop to some point then would start to die.. Hope i helped

Post Thanks / Like

the best rate i ever got was about 50% also , and alot of zero % , them eggs look like they were store bought, but who knows, i prefer to get a quail size pair now than eggs, i think its not worth the gamble, unless you get them from somebody thats reccommoned,,,the good guys usually will send you more eggs on the house if you get a sucky hatch..the bad guys usually say no ..there are both in this world

5. Thanks kywolf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy Chandler sent me 66 last year and 52 were going to hatch until I opened my bator to remove the first ten that hatched. I let all the humidity out and the rest except a few was stuck to the shell. I ended up with like 23 or something but to answer your question, as long as your seller is feeding the proper diet and ships well packed in a timely manner, all will be good provided you incubate properly.
    In a nutshell, good seller+good incubation = good hatch rate.

7. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I used the little giant and 52 out of 66 is pretty darn good if ask me. The hens diet counts for the most of it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I've got 22 under three hens. 6+8+8. They were no older than 8 days when set. They travelled as far as any egg. It'll be interesting to see how many I get out. I let them sit 24 hours before setting under the hens.
    Tomorrow is one week. I'm in two minds about candling. I don't want to upset the hens.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all replys.

10. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bumping it up. Anyone else incubate eggs?

Post Thanks / Like

i have a high hatch rate of 95% but my eggs aren't shipped, i have had shipped eggs that went as high of 85% hatched it all in how fresh they are and stored and how soon you getting them in a a incubator.

13. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joegoble View Post
    i have a high hatch rate of 95% but my eggs aren't shipped, i have had shipped eggs that went as high of 85% hatched it all in how fresh they are and stored and how soon you getting them in a a incubator.
    When you got 85% were those eggs shipped Air mail ?

15. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    When you got 85% were those eggs shipped Air mail ?
    I noticed most guys are hatching their shipped eggs in an incubator.
    I had a low hatch on my own eggs fresh from the yard in an incubator.
    I'm not risking it. I had my hens ready sitting when my eggs arrived.
    Im not saying you can't get good hatches from incubating ,but I didn't.
    Last edited by gaff; March 24th, 2013 at 05:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had 2 experiences with shipped eggs. One was from itsgametimefarm and one from cane_creek_gamefarm. I got 36 eggs from itsgametimefarm and only 1 hatched. I got 12 from cane_creek_gamefarm and 10 hatched. These eggs was all incubator hatched. I guess it depends on how they are shipped and handled during shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are no more than 3 days old, I typically get at least 70%.

The older the eggs, the less %.

I only let them set for 6 to 12 hours after I recieve them. I use to let them sit 24 hours and then started setting them 6 to 12 hours after receipt and my hatch rate went up.

I have hatched hundreds of eggs purchased via the mail and have had both good and bad success, but the most important was the age of the eggs.

You are better off getting 12 eggs that are a day old rather than 20 that are a week old. That is just my opinion of course.

19. Likes kywolf, trappersteve, Los Ivanes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never bought eggs, but last year I sent a dozen eggs for free to a guy from gamerooster he only hatched 2 chicks. This year I sent 18 eggs to a friend here on Sabong that lives in California he candled them at one week on monday and 5 were bad out of the 18 the other 13 seemed to be developing so I hope he hatches them all. I didn't sell them to them, and like I said this was my second time shipping eggs. Jerry

21. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did they hen hatch or incubator.
    I would say hen is safer and would give a more accurate and reliable percentage of how many can be hatched.
    Some guys do great incubating but if you arent good at it I'd say a hen is best.

23. Likes trappersteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mines been 0% so far out of five dozen from a few places never hatched one! I oredered eggs from flying frizzle. Aka Kenny walls. All the eggs of my own hatched but one 22-1. None of the 24 from him hatched. So I think the shipping is the differ .. I won't order anymore ever lest I can drive them home personally. Ive tried all I could do. Scuffing the shell for more air resting them..everything?!!

Post Thanks / Like

The first guy used an incubator I believe. My friend from here is also using an incubator but I think he knows what he is doing. I myself hen hatch everything, cause I have never had good results with an incubator.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Hatching % on your SHIPPED EGGS?

Did they hen hatch or incubator.
    I would say hen is safer and would give a more accurate and reliable percentage of how many can be hatched.
    Some guys do great incubating but if you arent good at it I'd say a hen is best.
    Some hens r better than others.. weather plays a huge part too.. but if u have your bator set right. Set fresh eggs with a auto turner and in no time you'll be hatching better % than most of your hens r able and more consistent and more of them..but that's the easy part I find a hen is better at caring for and teaching than we r majority of the time so there's a trade off.. I like to have a hen setting on dummy eggs so I can yank her eggs at notght and give her a huge clutch of chicks marked medicated and ready to learn

27. Likes trappersteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lost more eggs from a incubator in the last 2 years.It is the incubators not the eggs alot of the time.My hens is about 95% this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that bad..whats wrong with it just can't get it tuned in or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotcocker View Post
    Mines been 0% so far out of five dozen from a few places never hatched one! I oredered eggs from flying frizzle. Aka Kenny walls. All the eggs of my own hatched but one 22-1. None of the 24 from him hatched. So I think the shipping is the differ .. I won't order anymore ever lest I can drive them home personally. Ive tried all I could do. Scuffing the shell for more air resting them..everything?!!
    You got me worried, 0% out of 60. That's bad. Man I'm hoping for the best. My hens are sitting tight. One week yesterday. Two to go.
    I want to candle, maybe I should and eliminate the clear ones. That'll give the good ones a better chance.
    I don't want to upset the hens so I'm in two minds.....

31. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotcocker View Post
    I've tried hatching eggs that I bought twice.The first time I bought three dozen and zero hatched.The second time I bought a dozen and the seller sent me 14 eggs.I got one of those to hatch.So that gave me 1 chick out of 50 eggs for a whopping 2% hatch rate.I incubated them both times but each time I did I also got a hatch rate of 85% from the other eggs in the incubator that were from my hens.I gave up on trying to hatch shipped eggs.I have purchased chicks since then and have had much better luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent a friend 30 eggs last season he put half in bator and half under hens none hatched i dont know what they do to them during shipping but i had 95% hatch rate out of the same brood pens

Post Thanks / Like

I have hatched hundreds in incubators. A lot depends on the brand. Sears used to sell a big one named FarmMaster. Held 600 eggs. I found you can't fill trays to hatch different dates. Getting the chicks out will upset the humidity on the later hatching eggs. You must have a hatching incubator to do this kind of hatching and move them to it on the 18th day. This way you don't upset the humidity on later hatching eggs. If the eggs are at days 1to 18 it is not that critical. Also you must candle the eggs at 10 days. Remove any that are clear. Supposed to show the dark spot with veins going away from it. At 18 days they will be solid dark with no air space if they are bad. The ones with no air space are rotting and will ruin all the good ones by contaminating them through the shell. I never kept eggs over 7 days. 70% first 18 days, then 85--90% til they hatch. Any time you must open an incubator near a hatching date, mist the eggs with lukewarm water just before you close it.P>S> I never got real good hatches from incubator or hens if it came a bad lightning and thunderstorm during the incubation period.
    RHman1026
    Last edited by RHman1026; March 25th, 2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like

You got me worried, 0% out of 60. That's bad. Man I'm hoping for the best. My hens are sitting tight. One week yesterday. Two to go.
    I want to candle, maybe I should and eliminate the clear ones. That'll give the good ones a better chance.
    I don't want to upset the hens so I'm in two minds.....
    Candle them at night and she won't know the difference. Keep the light off of her. Use a pencil and put a small mark on the ones you candle so you don't do the same one twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Buying eggs and hatching %

I recently bought 6 1/2 dozen of eggs and out of that only 13 hatched. So my question is 13/78 hatched not a good percentage is it? Well i talked to the peddler i mean the breeder and he told me that it was a good percentage because i was getting $500 stags or puellets, and then he told me that i my 13 chicks that i hatched are worth $6500 is this bull crap or what? Please let me know what you guys think.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buying eggs and hatching %

If the blood is top quality then 13 birds off said blood is a great start. But talking number only, it was a bad hatch. I once incubated 60 eggs my partner brought from Alabama (1000 miles away) and hatched 52. But you can't blame the breeder, all he can do is send you fertile eggs, which if 13 hatched then most likely they all was fertile. A lot of things can happen from his farm to yours. And then incubating and being successful at it is a whole other matter as well.

Post Thanks / Like

For me if the eggs is taveled for a long distance I making sure that I relax first the eggs, put inside the ref but not in the freezer and the following days that's the time I put in the incubator but make sure that the eggs are only 14 days to incubate. Hope this might help in the future.

39. Likes White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a few things to know about the eggs before you buy them and you also need to know how well your incubator works.

1. How fresh are the eggs? Are they single mated pens? How many hens per cock? Who do you know that has dealt with this breeder in the past? You need a reputation. If you are spending good money on eggs, they should not be over 3 days old when shipped and fertility rates should be high. Preferably single mated and 1 day old when shipped.

2. Ask about packaging and whether the person has experience shipping eggs.

3. Know your incubator. If you are getting 95% hatch rates with your incubator and then you only get 13%, I tend to think that the eggs you recieved were either too old or there was a problem with fertility in the brood pen.

Out of that 13%, how many candled but did not hatch? If I buy eggs and they candle, but don't hatch, I know I still got a decent egg for the money. If they don't candle, I have an issue.

Here is an example of 3 batches of eggs that I recieved this year:

Breeder #1 sent me exactly 12 eggs. A few were dirty and I was concerned. However, they were 1 day old when shipped. 9 of the 12 Candled and they are hatching today. I hope they all make it out of the shell.

Breeder #2 has little experience with eggs and he sent 18. Out of 18, 8 were broken which left me with 10 eggs. 8 of the 10 candled after 1 week. Although 8 were broke, I was not really that upset, because I knew before hand that this man is not an egg seller and he did his best. He sent extremely fresh eggs. I told him about the broken eggs and he is sending some more too me, but I let him know that I did not expect it.

Breeder #3 has little to no experience with eggs, but I bought a pair and asked that he keep and send me the eggs from the pair even if it were a few eggs. Instead he sent me 16 eggs from one of his brood pens. He placed the eggs in an egg carton inside of the box the pullet from the pair was in. Out of 16 eggs, 3 were broken leaving 13. Out of 13, 11 candled, out of the 11, 10 hatched. These eggs were very fresh and shipped overnight express with the pair.

I have had eggs shipped to me from one end of the country to the other and after talking to the breeders and finding out as much as possible, making sure the eggs are fresh, I have really good results. Also, I don't let the eggs rest more than 12 hours. In many cases, I only rest them 6 hours.
    Last edited by Laborerkennels; March 28th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i got 12 eggs shipped from the USA only one hatched the rest were rotten i think the were fresh enough eggs , the second time i got 20 sent over one hatched out but the hen killed it and one died in the egg, the rest were rotten, the were on an auction site i think the were fairly old eggs, the were all hatched out by hens, this time i will try an incubator with 12 eggs, hopefully ill get better hatch rates, i candled the 20 eggs i got after 4 days i knew the were rotten but left them under the hens just in case i was wrong but i was not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njk View Post
    Also, I used the little giant and 52 out of 66 is pretty darn good if ask me. The hens diet counts for the most of it though.
    WOW 52 OUT OF 66 AMAZING