Thread: Socket hub

Post Thanks / Like

Socket hub

Anyone know where I can get the socket part of the socket knife ? I don't want the blades or the whole thing just the hub. If you or someone you know makes them pm me the contact info. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Socket hub

yes i do. as a matter of fact you can make your own. take the diameter and thickness of good stainless steel tubing. measure out how deep you want the spur to go into the tube.
    mark where you feel the tip[ of the spur should end. weather it be half inch 5/8 or 3/4 of an inch. now take the piece of tubing put it in the vice and cut it right down the middle of the tubing. and stop at the line. where the leg and spur begins. now after you made that cut make a t-bar . that fits inside of the diameter of the tubing. put the t-bar in a vice , allow enough room for the next step. take the tubing with the cut end with the split end. facing down on the t-bar. gently heat the tubing where it begins to split. now you have a socket . you can weld any kind of knife at any angle and size.

3. Likes Skincarver, GoldenDragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you drill a 1/64" hole through both sides where you want the split to he s it tends to keep it cleaner as well.

5. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the benefit of novices, can you guys post a video on how to do it..
    Makes it easier that way..
    That is, if you guys have time..
    Thanks in advance, we'll appreciate it..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys how about Filipino gato anyone make them send me a pm

Post Thanks / Like

it's difficult to put in words for the garo. simply you will get confused. a diagram yes would really help. it's really hard to sketch a garo on the key pad. once you see the process it's like 1,2,3, that's it. same as the socket.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested in sockets or any ideas

Post Thanks / Like

You should not use Stainless steel unless you are profesional welder, Use seamless high carbon steel tubing instead. Welding Stainless Steel is not for an Ametuer, Particulally if you weld another type of steel to it. While I have made no Knives, After making some One piece Gaffs a One piece Socket Knife would be pretty easy.

11. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump ! You would think over the years someone would have wrote a book on making them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I would like and video or advise. You can pm me. Just got night owl video and I'm willing to learn. Any advise from experienced people is much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

The only bad thing with Niteowls video is that it doesn't cover making the hub which to me is the most important part. Other than that it tells everything you need to know from tempering to sewing the leather . You have to order the sockets.Luckily that place is still in business but I don't know that I should post the name right out in the open. Ive seriously considered making my own 2 part jig to put steel tubing in split the side down so far and press or hammer the top half of the jig into the tubing to form the socket.The only other way I can think of besides that would make one piece heels. Which would take a whole lot of time.

15. Likes Ron-706 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that the main supplier for sockets retired or passed. I have been tinkering with this field the last year.
    I use 304 stainless seamless tubing. I hand made several jigs for the hubs and made punches. T-bar type punches. All kinds
    of weird tools for shaping. I drill a small 3/32 hole through side of tubing then cut down the tubing to hole.
    Position in jig with steel pin in center and work the two sides down and start to shape. If a crack occurs, and they will,
    i silver solder with ssf6 56 % silver solder to fix crack if crack occurs. I work it cold and if you use patience i feel
    it works better than heating. Takes a lot of trial and error but after a while you will find a system works best for you.
    I couldn't find much info so just dived head first and figured it out.

17. Likes Thunderbirds, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE HATCH BOB View Post
    I have heard that the main supplier for sockets retired or passed. I have been tinkering with this field the last year.
    I use 304 stainless seamless tubing. I hand made several jigs for the hubs and made punches. T-bar type punches. All kinds
    of weird tools for shaping. I drill a small 3/32 hole through side of tubing then cut down the tubing to hole.
    Position in jig with steel pin in center and work the two sides down and start to shape. If a crack occurs, and they will,
    i silver solder with ssf6 56 % silver solder to fix crack if crack occurs. I work it cold and if you use patience i feel
    it works better than heating. Takes a lot of trial and error but after a while you will find a system works best for you.
    I couldn't find much info so just dived head first and figured it out.
    Sounds good. Would like to see one. Only thing is on the repaired ones. Once they go into the oven for heat treatment the solder will disappear. You can braze it with Nickel silver rods as they have high melting point or fix it again after heat treatment.
    Well done though. Please post a pic if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MAX View Post
    You should not use Stainless steel unless you are profesional welder, Use seamless high carbon steel tubing instead. Welding Stainless Steel is not for an Ametuer, Particulally if you weld another type of steel to it. While I have made no Knives, After making some One piece Gaffs a One piece Socket Knife would be pretty easy.
    Hey mad .what wall thickness?

Post Thanks / Like

304 stainless is not heat treatable. Shape your blades and heat treat then temper. Attach blade to stainless hub (clean and rough up area to attach)
    use ssf6 or 56 % silver solder to attach blade. Ssf6 has 70,000 psi strength when done right and the heat is low enough it won't effect hardness
    if done right. Takes practice but it works for me. Started out with regular brazing rod and that did not work. If you ever use the 56% silver solder
    you will love it. Did strength test and it is superbly strong and my way of heat treat/temper doesn't seem to lose its strength when attaching blades.
    Spent a year and half getting my system down but what works for me may not for you. Its a fun hobby though. There is a mini torch kit online i bought
    and hooked directly to oxy/ acet. Set. This mini set is not expensive and i couldn't do this without the mini torch set. Good luck.

21. Thanks Thunderbirds thanked for this post
    Likes Skincarver, Thunderbirds liked this post