Thread: feed ?'s

Post Thanks / Like

feed ?'s

I feed half rooosterbooster pellet 18% and half conditioner 16% and have solid healthy roosters the pellets are medicated. They are healthy but still keep a little bit of sharp breast bone in the front, their thighs and legs are good and heavy on the tail end but having trouble with the breast. one guy said start feeding pure pellets. another said feedmore pellets and less grain. has anyone else had this problem and if so what helped. or if you feed all pellets how does your roosters feel. tried feeding soaked oats and it worsened the condition. Im close but missing something looking for opinions. thanks for your time and help. YFIS Gieger

Post Thanks / Like

Re: feed ?'s

too much protein will do it... I only feed rooster booster. This seems kind of odd to me though...

Post Thanks / Like

I do not feed that much pellets and I do not have that problem. If i do then I worm them just in case. The main pellet form I use is floating cat fish food. Maybe add some fruit and veggies to the mix. I do not like a lot of pellets due to all the dust from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Also inspect their beak really well. I've got a brownred that broke his beak in a fight and i didn't notice it until he started loosing weight. I couldn't figure out what the problem was then i noticed his beak. So I filed it down a little and started feeding him out of a feed cup because he couldn't pick the small seeds up off the ground... basically all he could eat was corn. anyway long story short, He's healthy as can be now! just looks a little weird with a shorter beak! lol

Post Thanks / Like

its all my fowl but my brood stock. thanks for all comments

Post Thanks / Like

Add some soaked oats to your mix bud......it will keep a nice breast on them

cockfighter_199

Soaked oats some whole corn in cold months for warmth, keep them healthy like wormed and all. I have not had a problem with underweight fowl if anything mine may be a couple ounces heavy right now BUT you can always take that off of them conditioning,

Post Thanks / Like

they arnt under weight or wormy just alil sharp breasted thank to all of the above for your opinionsYFIS

Post Thanks / Like

to much protien will keep the breast off them i feed 15% year round i raise mostly pea comb fowl which we know are easier to keep a breast on

Post Thanks / Like

Cut back on the protien and maybe feed more but some birds are just sharp breast birds and no matter what you do it won't change it do you feed your feed dry or do you feed wet

Post Thanks / Like

Some birds are just built that way with a sharp breat bone. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blades61 View Post
    to much protien will keep the breast off them i feed 15% year round i raise mostly pea comb fowl which we know are easier to keep a breast on
    I agree..
    Most hatchet breasted families are Straight combed..

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the info guys i have both pea comb and strait comb fammilies. I will try dropping the protien and see what it does. this mixture helped in the mexican shows but hurt in the american. just cant compete in the american shows and i miss them blu ribbons. YFIS

Post Thanks / Like

Guys i have a question i read all the time on here that people say feed soaked oats to put weight on roosters ive fed soaked oats for 3 years ive never had it put weigh on a rooster it seems to keep them alittle on the thin side keep in mind i only feed them once a week..... what am i missing why does it pull the fat outta my fowl and put breast and weight on everyone elses fowl?

Post Thanks / Like

O and another question i have is i was told ramsey feeds only a 20% breeder pellet but before this i was told he feeds a custom 17% pellet has anyone personally been to place and witnessed what he feeds..... brand/protein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gallohombre View Post
    Guys i have a question i read all the time on here that people say feed soaked oats to put weight on roosters ive fed soaked oats for 3 years ive never had it put weigh on a rooster it seems to keep them alittle on the thin side keep in mind i only feed them once a week..... what am i missing why does it pull the fat outta my fowl and put breast and weight on everyone elses fowl?
    You only feed soaked oats once a week, or....... You only feed your chickens once a week?

Post Thanks / Like

Lmao i only feed soaked oats once a week

Post Thanks / Like

Yes soaked oats did the same to my fowl. Another ? is wlth the super scratch feeds the calf mana in it whats the pros and cons of it, I was told that the scratch is whats making my breast thin or sharp so to speak. Some say to mix the pellets and whole corn to get the 15% protein and leave the scratch out. I would like opinions on this and info if anyone feeds this way. thanks YFIS Gieger

Post Thanks / Like

In your first post you say you are feeding 50/50 Rooster Booster and Conditioner, and in your last post it seems you are saying you are feeding scratch. What exactly are you feeding? What are your supplements?

Here's the deal with protein: Increasing protein relative to an energy source (primarily corn and other grains which provide carbs and oils) will tend to build muscle and reduce body fat to the point where the fowl start using protein (including their own muscle tissue) as an energy source. When this starts happening, the first place you'll notice it is in the breast, and what some people refer to as "burning up" a rooster with too much protein. Maintenance rations tend to have around 14-15% protein and will produce a bird with a full breast, but will also have some fat. Balanced conditioning rations (increasing protein relative to energy) plus exercise will reduce that fat, and maintain the breast. A rooster that is healthy, fed a balanced diet and is not carrying excess fat will be full bodied and "corky" - he will feel light in your hands yet will be carrying plenty of flesh

On the other hand, when you feed too much corn, they eat the corn they need to meet their energy requirement and then stop eating, leaving the pellets. Feed them very long like that and you'll have a rooster who feels like he swallowed a brick - this is referred to as "leady" ("heavy as lead").

There are other reasons for thin breasts that should be eliminated. Genetics/body structure is one that has already been discussed in this thread. Another is parasites, and another is overscratching/overwork especially in deep litter. Stags especially can lose their breast in a few days when scratched in deep litter. And you may simply need to feed more - I have to adjust the amount of feed regularly based on the weather, if they are in pens or cords, depth of litter versus feeding in cups, age of fowl, etc... Finally, I have noticed occasionally some inconsistencies in the way my roosters feel that I can only attribute to poor quality control at the feed mill. If they don't mix the feed right, then the ration you mix at home based on their feed will not produce the same results.

Personally, I doubt that scratch grains are the problem.

Good luck and let us know what that feed mix is.

JP

Post Thanks / Like

I feed 1/2 roster boster pellets and 1/2 grain that I mix myself and my fowl have a body like a football. I also mix a little small dog food pellets in once a week and feed fresh fruit (apples,bannanas etc.) a couple times a week. Its very imporant to keep them worm and bug free.

Post Thanks / Like

the feed mix is showtim conditioner the boss 16% i consider the grain it has polished popcorn, dehulled soybean meal, cut corn, polished whole corn, milo, canadian trapper peas, whole barley, oats, alfalfa chopped, meal pellets, distellers dried grains, dehydrated kelp meal, calcium carb meal, corn oil, soybean oil, amino acid complex, wheat germ oil, zinc anise oil, magnesium amino acid chelate. and the pellet is an 18% medicated rooster booster it also has corn meal, wheat middlings, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, poultry by product meal, calcium carbonate, vit a, vit b 12, vit e, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, magnesiume sulfate,folic acid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gallohombre View Post
    soked oats 2 or 3 times a week is good for your birds butt it wont put weight on your birds it aint got enough proitien in it too put weight on a piss ant let a long a bird its good for removing fat in a bird its a good summer feed in hot weather as well when there out there in that hot sun hey buddy ask any breeder/ of dogs/ horses/cattle/ ect ect what puts weight on there live stock??? and you will see its the exact opsite of what you are being told

Post Thanks / Like

one other thing buddy if that bag of feed says 14 percent protein its really around 12 percent if it says 16 percent its really around 14 percent

Post Thanks / Like

Update me and my partner decided we were close butsomething was missing we mixed the feed several diff ways and with what we were doing half and half there wasnt much whole corn so we decided to mix it half and half still 2qts of pellets 2qts conditioner and add 1qt corn and if my math is right thats around 15% and then i will take the whole corn out around showtime hopefully this will put a lill fat and weight on them to work off thanks again everyone for your replies YFIS Gieger