Thread: Feather Fret. Marks and lines on feathers.

Post Thanks / Like

Feather Fret. Marks and lines on feathers.

Has anyone ever come across this term? Feather Fret.
    Google it, and images and you will find some pics.
    In my quest for perfect feathers I have dipped, dusted and sprayed only to find some birds with these marks or lines on their feathers.
    I believed it was depluming mite but I now realise marks and imperfections can be caused by stress, heat and nutrient deficiencies.
    Any experiences or comments???
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feather Fret. Marks and lines on feathers.

I have struggled with this for years. I always see the perfect feathered birds and wondered what they are doing that I'm not my birds get the best that I can give them of feed water and wormer and vitamins. But I still have a few that get these lines. If you figure it out I would love to hear it. One would think it has to be in the breeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    In my quest for perfect feathers I have dipped, dusted and sprayed only to find some birds with these marks or lines on their feathers.
    I believed it was depluming mite but I now realise marks and imperfections can be caused by stress, heat and nutrient deficiencies.
    Thanks.
    I thought it was caused by a mite, but was told it is caused by stress

Post Thanks / Like
    It's caused by stress during the moult ,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Dear friend,
    i too have the same problem for1 of our rooster, he is a 1 time winner, in drag fight. but he always develops this type of feathers in both the wings and tail. one of our mentor said its damagted by mites, so we tried our hand at dustiing sevin, buotox, tobacco solution etc to fight this menace. But it re appears every time, if a new feather is developed from him... we dont know how to get rid of this problem. It only get control when we spray tobacco

Post Thanks / Like

Yall taking about saw mites?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    Yall taking about saw mites?
    http://www.themodernapprentice.com/fretmarks.htm i think these lines is what they mean, when i had my cocks, i noticed 1 of them had them, and i figured they were mites also, but looks like i was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been driving me crazy. I've seen the perfect feathers and always thought it is a bug eating the feathers but sometimes it just couldn't be. I've treated like clockwork for mites ect.
    My feathers are good this year but the molt is hard. They just aren't perfect, got a few though that are near perfect.
    Thing is all the birds get the same feed, vitamins ect.
    I still suspect bugs in some cases but I think feather fret is the culprit in many cases.

Jagadeesh, did you say you solved your problem with the tobacco solution?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Feather Fret. Marks and lines on feathers.

It's been driving me crazy. I've seen the perfect feathers and always thought it is a bug eating the feathers but sometimes it just couldn't be. I've treated like clockwork for mites ect.
    My feathers are good this year but the molt is hard. They just aren't perfect, got a few though that are near perfect.
    Thing is all the birds get the same feed, vitamins ect.
    I still suspect bugs in some cases but I think feather fret is the culprit in many cases.

Jagadeesh, did you say you solved your problem with the tobacco solution?

Thanks.
    No sir, Tobacco prevents upto certain level only, but it cant cure the problem. Our seniors gives so many options to treat the problem. But tobacco and sevin dusting (i think spelling is correct) is little effective for us.
    And further they said that " it is caused by certain mites, they lives at the wax of of newly formed feathers, and it forms the lines when the feather get matures, so treat it with tobacco solution from molting upto the feather maturing"... All our seniors beleives that it is caused by mites...
    The problem is we dont know whether the mite is present at the wax or not. We can spot a small black / brown substance in the damaged feathers and that particullar cock and few others develops these lines in their newly formed feathers. And if a line is formed in the feathers means, after certain period of time, these line developed feathers fall down, only the stem and certain feathers still remains there... i too gave amino acids capsules, cod liver capsules and almonds for the healthy feather growth of feathers, but it always happens.
    I dont beleive these mite concept personally, maybe its true but there is no option left for us, so we have been using these tobacco solution 2 months. it is little effective only.
    I came across a thread on this site which states that it is caused by stress during the period of molting, so i am searching answers for this...
    I beleive that " NEED IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTIONS". i have to keep searching for the right treatments, till i find any right solution... Otherwise only DOC can answer these questions....
    Thanking you.....!