Thread: Dropping weight for rooster

Post Thanks / Like

Dropping weight for rooster

My rooster gained to much weight i want him to go back to his normal weight his weight was 4 10 now his weight is 5 10 anyone know how to make him lose all this weight that he has gained other then feeding it less

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dropping weight for rooster

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihi_slashers View Post
    My rooster gained to much weight i want him to go back to his normal weight his weight was 4 10 now his weight is 5 10 anyone know how to make him lose all this weight that he has gained other then feeding it less
    We mixed more vegetables on their diet with supplement (high amino acid) and put them on pen with shades and sunlight...they look bigger but lighter...this we apply on type of weather we have....

HAPPY KASABONG TO ALLLLL....

Post Thanks / Like

Put him in a pen with a pullet and grass or leaves and sand to scratch in. The pullets are greedy and eat fast this will make him work for his feed. Cut back on the corn a little ,will also help.

Post Thanks / Like

feed him some tomatoes for a while or soak some oats in grapefruit juice this should pull some off him

Post Thanks / Like

kalihi_slasher are you located up the hill?
    chop some veggies and mix it with the feeds.make it half amount of each.
    put it in running pen alongside a pullet.that will solve your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of weight to drop off a bird

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loisbugoy View Post
    We mixed more vegetables on their diet with supplement (high amino acid) and put them on pen with shades and sunlight...they look bigger but lighter...this we apply on type of weather we have....

HAPPY KASABONG TO ALLLLL....
    What kind of vegetables do i use? And what feeds have high amino acid?

Post Thanks / Like

Take it off slowly. You try to take that much off of him in only a couple months time, you could ruin his strength. Take a little off over a few months by regulating his feed and pick him up regularly to check him and he should be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Try putting him a keep (not to fight but to get him fit), rotate as much as possible, regulate his intake (don't cut feed), excersise/spar, let his chase around a young pullet, keep him active. Psycological wellness is as important as physical fitness, He'll cut weight on his own. But remember how much you weighed in high school? Maybe he'll never be 4 10 again but he'll be in tip top shape. Good Luck

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If u ever plan to show him again I wouldn't spar him until u got the weight off sometimes a fat cock will learn bad habits and be careful scratching and working him too much cause if that fat hardens its even harder to get out of him

Post Thanks / Like

Feed soaked oats it'll shed some of his fat. Give in moderation with regular rations.

Post Thanks / Like

simple if you are feeding 50 grams per meal, adjust the corn content to 5 grams days prior to last 3 days before the fight.

in doing so, don't forget to give them regular daily exercise, in order to tone their muscle. if you will not the muscle is too soft not firm.

Post Thanks / Like

Put him in a fly pen with about 6 inches of straw and let him work it off naturally. Pick him up at least once a week and weigh him and see how he is doing. You don't want him to over work himself and lose his breast so you need to keep a eye on him.

Post Thanks / Like

in over weight cases, the problem is on the feed mixture. if you give them exercises without adjusting the corn content to 5 grams per meal nothing will happen. the rule is adjust the corn content.

Post Thanks / Like

Way back when...well many years ago, I purchased 6 birds off of a friend that needed some money. The birds tipped the scale in and around 6-6 to 6-9, I wormed them gave some inj. antibiotics, and changed the feed to a simple 4 part mix of barley, milo, oats, cracked corn, and added buttermilk to it for a total of 7 days. Towards the end of the week, I lessen the buttermilk, and on the 8th day I added grit to the feed with smoothie type mixture of carrots, apples, and bananas. I fed reg. feed after that, but instead of feeding a full cup of potted meat, I fed half. I would give fruits, and veggies during the day...also gave them a pre-keep, and yes I gave them vit. during this process. I cont. this for about a month, after I dropped them to about 5-4 to 5-6, I gave them 2 weeks to get use to the weight, and shortly after that I put them thru a keep, and showed them. We went 4 out of 6, one of them broke a gaff, and the other broke his leg on the wall. All and all, they did very good, and did not lose any power, but gained speed. I wish you well, all I can tell you is keep a good eye on him, and be smart about the decision you make before you show him.

Post Thanks / Like

Good topic and posts. Take it slow and don't concentrate so much on a number(4-10), evaluate the birds overall health, performance, feel, condition and time of season. Start him on a pen rotation plan to get him moving. It's getting late in the season and with moult around the corner, he might have to be a next season show bird.