Thread: SC cockfighting law , misdemeanor or felony???

Post Thanks / Like

SC cockfighting law , misdemeanor or felony???

I've been thinking misdemeanor but searched and found this.

format
    Indicates Matter Stricken
    Indicates New Matter

H. 3049

STATUS INFORMATION

General Bill
    Sponsors: Reps. G.M. Smith and Long
    Document Path: l:\council\bills\ms\7045ahb13.docx
    Companion/Similar bill(s): 3068
    Introduced in the House on January 8, 2013
    Currently residing in the House Committee on Judiciary
    Summary: Cockfighting
    HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS

Date Body Action Description with journal page number
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    12/11/2012 House Prefiled
    12/11/2012 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary
    1/8/2013 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 66)
    1/8/2013 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary
    (House Journal-page 66)
    View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
    VERSIONS OF THIS BILL

12/11/2012
    (Text matches printed bills. Document has been reformatted to meet World Wide Web specifications.)
    A BILL

TO AMEND SECTION 16-17-650, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO COCKFIGHTING, SO AS TO INCREASE THE PENALTIES FOR THE OFFENSE.
    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
    SECTION 1. Section 16-17-650 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 345 of 2006, is further amended to read:
    "Section 16-17-650. (A) A person who engages in or is present at cockfighting or game fowl fighting or illegal game fowl testing or who possesses birds for the purpose of cockfighting or game fowl fighting is guilty of a:
    (1) misdemeanor felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than five hundred dollars but not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not less than six months but not more than one year five years for a first offense; or
    (2) misdemeanor felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars but not more than three thousand dollars or imprisoned not less than one year but not more than three five years for a second or subsequent offense.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SC cockfighting law , misdemeanor or felony???

I can't figure this dam phone out so please just google
    2013-2014 bill 3049: sc cockfighting.
    My initial post doesn't cross things out like on the website.
    Am I wrong or have they slipped one by us??? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Over a hundred views and no replys.
    I don't care anyway. Make it a felony, make it the death penalty, I don't give a ****.
    They ain't changing **** but ink on the paper.
    F*ck em all.

Post Thanks / Like

i never herd of a misdemenor felony thats the stupidist **** ive herd it should be m or f and class 1-6 jmo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NESON View Post
    i never herd of a misdemenor felony thats the stupidist **** ive herd it should be m or f and class 1-6 jmo
    No on the website, misdemeanor is crossed out. So is everything else that has been amended. Just Google 2013-2014 sc cockfighting

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: SC cockfighting law , misdemeanor or felony???

The way to eliminate any felony or questions should be by correcting the amendment that refers to 'animal cruelty'. Which no how, no way in any definition that logically means: Bird. Define by amending to not include: Galliformes. Which is an order of heavy-bodied ground-feeding birds, which includes turkey, grouse, chicken, New and Old World quail, ptarmigan, partridge, pheasant, and the Cracidae. The name derives from "gallus," Latin for "cock" or "rooster". It is not a dog. Of course, this can be difficult to explain to the 'law makers' obviously. Also, I believe the 'economy' was harmed when roosters became 'animals'. It takes money but sometimes it takes one person doing the foot work for those with funding. I thought the chicken farmers/owners contributed to the conservation of a beautiful bird. As most know with life comes death. If you don't like the battle, don't go watch it. During the storm in OKLAHOMA, when the twister hit Moore, OK., it hit my babies too. We didn't make the news because it hit where no one lived, but a few folks. We had just moved into our renovated home...and CRASH...fly pens smashed...two large trees landed on the top to bottom of about seven of them...my babies...poor things. To comfort them during the healing process, I would do a little ditty for them. Now they are healed and I still sing that song, only to see them react by 'dancing and showing off them feathers and strut'. I love the rooster, and to avoid instinction, the law must be lifted and no felony or misdemeanor charges for anyone should exist. 'rock out with your cock out'...Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me the true definition of "animal cruelty"??? MAYBE it goes like this, subjecting an animal BEYOND IT's OWN WILL. You CANNOT subject a gamecock beyond it's own will and even come close to expect it to fight. I don't know what the law is in SC now but a felony for any chicken involvment is flat crazy. They gonna lock you up and feed you chicken and cost the taxpayers more money in an already over-crowded jail and way in debt state. Lots of sense right there. YFIS