Thread: breeding question can anybody help

Post Thanks / Like

breeding question can anybody help

If i have a pair of fowls and my hen has layed 8 eggs, and i take the cock away from her will she still lay all her eggs and get broody and sitt n hatch da eggs?? All answers will b appropriated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: breeding question can anybody help

Quote Originally Posted by Salazar View Post
    If i have a pair of fowls and my hen has layed 8 eggs, and i take the cock away from her will she still lay all her eggs and get broody and sitt n hatch da eggs?? All answers will b appropriated
    Yes, you can take him out and everything will go fine.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's natiral selection thru a cock corded and a hen in season in the free range, YES..
    If it's a single mating style forced by the two being penned, 50/50..
    If it's a battery mating type, then you get lesser chances of the hen setting her eggs..

Post Thanks / Like

Hens will hold the sperm until they finish laying eggs and then when they are ready they will sit! I like to cord the hens with nesting boxes and have the desired cock breed over the hens! It works for me better than tying the cock and having the hens loose!
    [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj8WXecasHs"]Lacy broodcock 3-way breeding - YouTube[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the hen.

Some hens will get broody while the rooster is still in the broodpen and start setting. Some hens will continue laying in the nest box without the rooster in the pen but, some hens won't get broody.

Post Thanks / Like

thanjs u,guys. But wat if,i dont move da,cock n i, move da hen n her 8 eggs tp a different pen will she still sit n lay n her nest

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. Depends on the hen. But, I'd say yes. I don't normally move the hen. Where I start the brood pen, is where I want the hen to lay and sit. I always move the rooster.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect gull does that really work?

Post Thanks / Like

does this mean that if the hen already started laying eggs, you can already remove the cock and the hen will still continue to lay eggs?

Post Thanks / Like

perfect gull that looks like a real good method

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect-Gull View Post
    Hens will hold the sperm until they finish laying eggs and then when they are ready they will sit! I like to cord the hens with nesting boxes and have the desired cock breed over the hens! It works for me better than tying the cock and having the hens loose!
    Lacy broodcock 3-way breeding - YouTube
    cool tip bro, It helped me a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing to remember is that any eggs laid over three days after the cock is removed has a lesser chance of being fertile. Each day after the third, the rate of fertilization drops around 10% each day. In other words, if she starts to set with ten to twelve eggs you are fine. There are exceptions to the rule, just like in most situations in mother nature. As for her starting to set, I think removing the cock lets things settle down and it helps the hen get in the mood. Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it best to leave the cock in with the hen til she starts to set then there is no question on the eggs being fertile and that way if she lays more than 10 or 12 eggs before she sets u don't have to worry like the other fellow said some don't go broody at all and some may lay 30 eggs before they will

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried using the pens that works too but with my experience it takes longer and some hens are very aggressive and would have to rotate the cock for the single mating per hen. This method was taught to me by my mentor and works excellent! The hens have a sense of freedom and dont feel locked up. The cock stays withing the area of the hens because he will mate with all of them. You have to make sure that that the tie cords have a good distance from each other and the nest boxes have to be in corners or where the tie cord wont get caught up or tangled. You can aslo do this in a large pen big enough like 10ft wide or bigger if you have other cocks that are on tie cords. A wise man once said, "Always remember the Hens are the bloodline, the cocks are the product"

Post Thanks / Like

Is it best for nest boxes to be enclosed or does it matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJenkins View Post
    Is it best for nest boxes to be enclosed or does it matter?
    Just as long the hen can fit! You can use a jig saw and cut out a circular hole or leave a opening on one side horizontal across the box. 5 gallon bucket from Walmart or Home Depot with the lid work well too. All you have to do is cut the lid in half and sit the bucket on top on something or screw it against the wall of your brood pen. Whatever is easier for you will work.

Post Thanks / Like

I came across a bunch of milk crates. So was trying them out they are laying eggs there's about13 there but not started sitting yet just wondering if it's best to enclosed or if it matters

Post Thanks / Like

How about if you keep all the eggs in refrigerator every time she lays her eggs; and leave decoy eggs so that by the time she's ready to sit on them, remove the decoy eggs and put back all the laid eggs so they will get hatched at least at the same time. does it work well or better to just leave all the eggs laid in the nest box and wait for the hen to sit on them?
    somebody who have good ideas on this? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJenkins View Post
    I came across a bunch of milk crates. So was trying them out they are laying eggs there's about13 there but not started sitting yet just wondering if it's best to enclosed or if it matters
    When I have hens loose they like to go lay eggs in corners or under wood somewhere where they can have privacy. I would recommend you have their nest boxes enclosed because it does help to get them in the mood. I have seen hens sit and hatch out of milk crates but it takes longer. You can try both, enclosed wooden boxes in some pens and milk crates in other pens and find out what works better for you. I'm positive that enclosed boxes gets them broody faster because out in the wild, wild hens look for dark cool places to lay and sit to hatch their chicks its just mother natures way of survival.

Post Thanks / Like

Falcon I think the fridge would ruin them. not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

what i mean is storing eggs just like what we normally do before putting them in incubator . as we normally do it for 2 weeks before getting them hatched in incubator. my question is, if we can do that and have the eggs hen-hatched by the same hen (instead of incubator) so all the eggs will have been hatched at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect-Gull View Post
    Lacy broodcock 3-way breeding - YouTube
    Sir Perfect Gull, this method helped me a lot! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Joshua View Post
    Sir Perfect Gull, this method helped me a lot! Thanks!!
    Im glad it has helped you guys, It works for some reason! Thats the reason why I have been doing that for years but I also use pens because I dont have acres of land to do it to all my brood hens. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

id wait until she starts to sit in broody fashion before removing the rooster. single mating in pens is good. my pens are 4 by 14 foot with 3 by four foot houses on the ends for easy access to feed and water. the key to single mating in pens is the rotation of the cock. place him in a personal stall or on a linewalk or in a flypen every other day or two...one to two days in breeding pen and one to two days out of pen and remove from breeding pen when she goes broody. they don't like to be cooped together too long and just like people they need their space. the best advice i've learned is to know your birds...know each and every one and then you will know how many eggs that hen generally lays and when its time to remove the cock and just let her sit. the birds will tell you everything if you listen closely enough. books and internet are invaluable tools but always let the birds show you whats best. good luck and good question. starting out is the trickiest part because the more you learn the more questions arise. good luck and hope the biddies hatch in good strong health.