Thread: Breeding brother and sister???

Post Thanks / Like

Breeding brother and sister???

I have a chance to pick up a trio of Hennies. The only reason I am holding of is because they are brother and sister. Can breeding brother and sister work out well?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breeding brother and sister???

if you know what your looking for in the offspring then it could be..... if you don't then might be a problem.... selecion will be the key

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Just make sure you cross the offspring to another bloodline to use for fighting.

You can fight the bro/sis, but me personally, I'd be weary. They might act strange and even run. It's better to use the bro/sis as seedfowl than make battlecocks from them.

Read this for more pros and cons: Click!

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    Yes.

Just make sure you cross the offspring to another bloodline to use for fighting.

You can fight the bro/sis, but me personally, I'd be weary. They might act strange and even run. It's better to use the bro/sis as seedfowl than make battlecocks from them.

Thanks.

That's what I'm doing, inbreed for seedfowl, crossbreed for battlefowls!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've bred brother and sister and never had one act strange or run due to the breeding. They produced mostly to the lines standard, seldom below it and some above it. I do agree that they can be used to produce seed fowl. I seldom do crosses, thinking being if the line needs to be crossed to produce battle fowl, I need another line. Even the crossing of two very good lines doesn't guarantee battlefowl better than either line. My experience has been that they seldom do. I see a lot of crosses being used with mixed and unpredictable results, hoping to produce that ultimate battlecock, and then they're back to the drawing board/broodpen scratching their head and wondering what went wrong. I visited a gamefarm and noticed a son and partner to the gamefarm gathering unmarked eggs in 5 gallon buckets to be put in an incubator. There was about 100+ hens and pullets of all breeds and crosses running loose, 150+ cocks and stags on tie, and maybe 15 to 20 actual brood pens. He pointed out four or five brood pens that were being bred pure. I didn't see any birds marked and only a few were banded from being shown. I seldom see him win, and he mostly blames the bird when he loses.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Thanks.
    Only reason they would run or act strange if there is junk in their bloodline. If they run or act strange after brother sister mating then, cull them because there is cold blood in there. I would hate to see somebody going for their money fight and have a rooster run. That is not bad luck that is poor decision on the breeder.

I see to many people breeding junk just because they can win with it. That is even in the long heels people do it. They are called game cocks for a reason and they should be game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cutcutcut View Post
    I've bred brother and sister and never had one act strange or run due to the breeding. They produced mostly to the lines standard, seldom below it and some above it. I do agree that they can be used to produce seed fowl. I seldom do crosses, thinking being if the line.........
    This is I think what Mr. Ray Boles meant when he said that, If they can't fight pure, why do you keep them.
    If I may ask sir, what kind of birds have you been or are you perpetuating with the brother and sister breeding method? I'm also curious as to how long have you been breeding them this way. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXGREY View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a trio of Hennies. The only reason I am holding of is because they are brother and sister. Can breeding brother and sister work out well?
    I can sit here and explain in a few pages that they are pros and cons and experience and characteristics but here is the thread that you can read on other breeders and they they went through and findings! Good luck bro!
    http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showt...brother+sister
    Last edited by Perfect-Gull; May 21st, 2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: forget to add link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    This is I think what Mr. Ray Boles meant when he said that, If they can't fight pure, why do you keep them.
    If I may ask sir, what kind of birds have you been or are you perpetuating with the brother and sister breeding method? I'm also curious as to how long have you been breeding them this way. Thanks
    I don't think Mr. Boles ever fought any of his fowl pure! If you ask people who knew him, his fowl had oriental influence and they had been crossed before he had his hands on them. I think the word "PURE" actually means inbred fowl not pure because the genetic make up in pure fowl will show you otherwise! Why do u guys think that when u breed a pure trio u sometimes get something different! I had gotten a green leg Lacy roundhead before after breeding them within 5 years! You will sometimes get that recessive trait or original bloodline of the initial cross! Just by doing a simple research you cant find out what created the fowl you have in your yard!

Post Thanks / Like

My brother lost his prize Good Grey rooster and hens (trio) to a bobcat, he was left with the offspring. I told him to breed the best stag to the nicest pullet, it will be a waiting game to see how they come out. Good info on this site about Bro/Sis breeding, thanks to all whom have added insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Thanks.

Thank you for the info....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the info. It has been a help.

Post Thanks / Like

Mother Nature does it from time to time. I always look foolish when I start to think I know more than Her.

Post Thanks / Like

That's very true Bad Apple. Think I will go ahead and and give the hennies a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    I'll never claim to be a master breeder. But, good fowl will make an average breeder look good, and you'll find that you won't be culling as many, more will make the cut and win. But, to get there it does take a lot of testing and culling, and at times an entire family has to go. I like variety and probably have more families of fowl than needed. I used the word "PURE", and I'll explain. I try to breed and maintain the families as pure as I have on hand, and the production of seed fowl is a must. Sometimes we lose a brood pair, and have to rely on a brother x sister breeding to maintain the line. That's why I strive to maintain a cock and hen side of a family. A few years ago I purchased an entire family of gamefowl from a well known breeder. I raised some chicks and gifted him a pair back. He's doing great with them. I mentioned the family in a post that had a Redquill chick in the pic. Happy hunting. Cut3