Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cockfighting -- In the Dominican Republic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cockfighting -- In the Dominican Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    Yup. They probably don't have the pork barrel system They use their own hard earned money. That's why walang babuyan sa betting

Gaff vs. Espuelas? Steel vs. Plastic? The steel is a bigger advantage. The steel will always make a hole, the plastic sometimes bounces off the skin. I takes awhile for the plastic to pierce a hole.

Regards.
    Oh...really.. Sorry for the ignorance but I thought that those espuelas are made of very hard plastic and seems to be very sharp also, that they can penetrate all the way in specially in the "armpit or kili kili" area. I surely dont know exactly their reason of using the plastic espuela but, is it because they want a longer fight? So it sounds like the fights would be very much faster if short gaffs are used in that kind of game. I wonder if there would be a big difference in fight time if compared to the espuela.

Post Thanks / Like

FILAMEX,

Yes, they are made of hard plastic but they are not as sharp as steel can be. Quite blunt on the tip actually compared to a steel gaff. And the armpit is not the kill shot. It's the neck. The piercing of the neck is what they go for. That's why the birds billhold. To get good momentum and power and positioning so the plastic pierces the flesh and hits something inside the neck.

I just learned that too while I was there. I couldn't understand it at first, then I saw the logic. It's really about gameness and power to drive that espuela through the flesh of the neck. That's what they breed for.

It's something to see really, and hard to explain in words

I was even having doubts that a "Texas" can take all of that. We'll never know cause the "Texas" will always hit the body and and armpit, I don't know if the "Texas" can take all those blunt blows to the neck and head...

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Sir Senti, sounds like the espuela is similar then to the American "Peg Awl" of long time ago.
    Anyway, their is a video on how the espuela is tied in Post# 36 under the Thread, "puerto rican style trimming" in the chicken talk forum. The gaffer trimmed down the spur thinner and shorter before securing the espuela. I'm just wondering if the trimming of the spur just before securing the espuela is a normal way in that kind of show. Did you noticed the same in that Grand Event in the DR? I don't know but, I think its not a good idea to trim down the spur just before securing the espuela. My concern would be about pain issues in the spurs that could affect efficient cutting, specially that its gonna be a long combat.

Post Thanks / Like

The gaffer trimmed down the spur thinner and shorter before securing the espuela. I'm just wondering if the trimming of the spur just before securing the espuela is a normal way in that kind of show. Did you noticed the same in that Grand Event in the DR? I don't know but, I think its not a good idea to trim down the spur just before securing the espuela. My concern would be about pain issues in the spurs that could affect efficient cutting, specially that its gonna be a long combat.
    Yup. I saw that. They really trim it down right before tying. It bleeds and the birds squawk from the pain. But after it's tied it doesn't seem to bother them anymore. That part I don't understand too, but that's their style and the way they've been doing it since time immemorial so I can't say it's wrong. Just different. It's an eyeopener.

I showed Boy Diaz this thread and he was amazed. He said in the 50 years he's been cockfighting he's never seen anything like this.

5. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're exactly right sir Senti. That practice of securing their espuela is indeed an eye opener. That's why, I really don't think that their is such a thing as "plain common sense." Seems like a lot of simple thoughts or opinions are not really that simple or common in the fraternity.
    While it's true that them roosters seem to be okay after their espuela are secured in that process, I'm very positive that their would be excruciating pain in the spur area due to the impact when hard bones in the neck or head of the opponent is repeatedly hit with hard blows during combat. I compare that way of gaffing to a boxer with a freshly cut off finger, covered or wrapped with bandage and fitted with a glove to fight. Initial punches would be strong but succeeding punches would be less powerful and could even result to hesitance in punching due to pain.
    Anyway, attached is a video link that could be an example of an outcome of their gaffing process. We surely don't know exactly the reasons why that rooster ran away after flooring his opponent with multiple hard blows but, I'm suspecting that excruciating pain in the spur area from those hard impact would be a contributory factor. Have you seen anything like this happen in that Grand Event in the DR? Just wondering if it's a common sight in this kind of show.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BqmKhI9Lo"]pelea de gallos, gallo muerto gana en segundos una pelea - YouTube[/ame]

7. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that once. And that's a "draw". Something about a 2 minute rule. If it runs within two minutes, draw. After two minutes, loss...

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that once. And that's a "draw". Something about a 2 minute rule. If it runs within two minutes, draw. After two minutes, loss...
    For sure……wow!
    I'm not really sure but, could it be that, that way of heeling is a part or is included in their way of gauging the gameness of their Postiza roosters in Latin America? If it is, then, that would explain the reason as to why seldom could runners be seen in a Grand Event(International Derby) as what you've just attended with Man Boy in the D.R. It showed and proved once again that only the very best, and well tested gamest birds/bloodlines should be brought to such kind of events.

Nonetheless, I still think that a basic principle in ANY show in this great sport would be that, the integrity, ego or cockiness of a warrior should be built up and maintained at all times up to the the fight of his life. So with this point of view, their way of heeling with the plastic espuela is a big No..No… but, then again, to each their own.

IMHO though, I think that they'll achieve whatever satisfaction they're getting from the plastic espuela if " Fork Short Titanium Gaffs " are used. This weapon would of course be made out of Titanium with similar design as that of the Mexican Fork SK or the Peruvian LK, and tied similarly as well. The blades will be shaped and with a sharp tip/point just like the Plastic espuela. Reasons why I think that this would be a better weapon for that kind of show are;
    1. Just like plastic, Titanium is weightless
    2. Although it's a very tough material, it won't hold a sharp point as long as a gaff made out of high carbon steel. So it would just like be the plastic espuela I hear.
    3. The part of subjecting them roosters to an unempowering pain during the heeling process would be eliminated as these Titanium Fork Gaffs would be tied on a boot.

Anyway, it's just the way I see it.

Post Thanks / Like

good pictures ,good information , I like this post

11. Thanks Sentenciador thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow those facilities are 5 stars and then some! My facilities were like that at one point of time but I woke cause I had to work to earn some money to buy materials to repair my fly pens.....lol
    Beautiful facilities senti and thank you for sharing!
    Last edited by jncblas; October 26th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

13. Thanks Sentenciador thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

anymore pictures on your trip to the DR...sorry sir i just saw the other replies lol
    Last edited by trueedge; July 5th, 2014 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

great pictures Senti thank you for sharing

16. Thanks Sentenciador thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Farm Visit. "Farm" of Edmond Elias.

They don't use teepees in this country. All expensive round pens. Even hens get their own individual round pens.

What is the purpose of the rocks.....?

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Dominican Republic and the unapologetic freedoms that we still have.
    Last edited by FALE; July 31st, 2018 at 12:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

We use plastics spurs because is fairer to everybody, before the plastic spurs, rich peoples used to have the advantage over the rest, but with the plastic spurs, everybody is using the same weapons the problems of the unfairness was solved.

20. Likes Sentenciador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The purpose of the rocks in the pens is because D.R. is a tropical country and rain a lot, but with the rocks, the water filtered through it and the bird is always dry, also is easy to wash with a hose for the cleaning purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FALE View Post
    The purpose of the rocks in the pens is because D.R. is a tropical country and rain a lot, but with the rocks, the water filtered through it and the bird is always dry, also is easy to wash with a hose for the cleaning purpose.
    So I finely find, my answer about the rocks. Looks easy to clean. My fat old brood cocks will sometimes get bumble foot. Not sure this would work for a 6lb brood cock.