Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cockfighting -- In the Dominican Republic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cockfighting -- In the Dominican Republic

Quote Originally Posted by PITGAMER View Post
    Glad that you enjoyed yourself in my country. The Dominican Republic and the Phillipines have to learn from one another and bring this sport to another level. Thanks for taking the time to travel and share your experience. Edmond Elias has a very nice setup. Anymore pictures? thanks.
    PITGAMER,

Where you at the event? Do you live in the DR? Do you know the Bonetti Burgos Pit? Yes, I have more pics. I will post them

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elgallolatino View Post
    sentenciador,

which breeders from venezuela attended this derby and how did they perform?

thanks.
    elgallolatino,

Let me get the names for you. If I am not mistaken, the Venezuelan partido won the whole thing... I will ask for their names. I met so many people, it's hard to remember names

I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    elgallolatino,

Let me get the names for you. If I am not mistaken, the Venezuelan partido won the whole thing... I will ask for their names. I met so many people, it's hard to remember names

I'll let you know.

Thanks.
    yes sentenciador,you are right venezuela won 1st. and 2nd. place with the team ''t.t.riera'' they are from monagas state in eastern venezuela i don't know them but i will do some local checking i would like to congratulate them if you find any contact number pls let me know.

thanks.
    Last edited by elgallolatino; June 23rd, 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

PITGAMER,

Where you at the event? Do you live in the DR? Do you know the Bonetti Burgos Pit? Yes, I have more pics. I will post them

Regards.

No i was not at the event. I was home in NY. I have a house in the DR and travel back and forth a couple times a year to compete. Yes i do know the Bonetti pit better know as the "Coliseo Del Santo Domingo". What did you think of the fighting? Aside from size, how do you think some graded down Western fowl would do over their?

Post Thanks / Like

egl,

Here is the awards ceremony.

The gentlemen in orange and blue are the Venezuelans.

6. Thanks itloving thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PITGAMER View Post
    No i was not at the event. I was home in NY. I have a house in the DR and travel back and forth a couple times a year to compete. Yes i do know the Bonetti pit better know as the "Coliseo Del Santo Domingo". What did you think of the fighting? Aside from size, how do you think some graded down Western fowl would do over their?
    I see. OK.

I enjoyed the pico y espuela. It's a very tough weapon. You need real game cocks to take all that to the head and neck. I even had an insecure moment and had doubts if my own birds could take all that without running I mean in the Philippines we use Western breeds and they only hit the body. They can take body shots with no problem, but they've never been tested in the espuelas and getting hit in the head constantly. Maybe you can try? As for downgrading Western breeds for espuelas, I don't think it will be successful. You need to billhold and hit the head. The birds there are bred for that. What are the bloodlines used there? I'm curious. It's not Hatch, Kelso, Claret for sure.

I think you will be at a disadvantage with Western cocks because they do not billhold and they hit the body. Hitting the body with the espuelas is not gonna hurt the other guy.

Best of all is the organization and format of the fights. It's really well done. I will make it my mission to bring that format here in the PH. I want to build a pit as nice as Sto. Domingo. I heard Santiago is even nicer?

Regards.

8. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More Hacienda pics....

Round pens. I love them! If I win a derby I will convert all my teepees and use round pens. They're so much better for the cocks. They're just expensive.

Samuel from Panama, Felipe from Peru, me from Filipinas, and Victor from the DR.

With Oswaldo from Mexico.

Concierto anyone? Private Mains, Torneo Privado.

This is Edmond's pit for private matches. Complete with movie theater seats (with drink holder),

Bar,

and bedroom, of course... why not? right?

Boy and Oswaldo posing for a shot

...more to come (hope you are enjoying this)

10. Thanks itloving thanked for this post
    Likes CIGAR, Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

keep on posting when you have time sir senti...it is indeed enjoyable looking at the photos

Post Thanks / Like

more....

One cage per baby chick.

More of the first class facilities.

Lunch at the Hacienda.

Jamon Jabugo, Lobster, Oysters, the works!

Entertainment.

Middle is Edmond Elias, Sr., Edmoncito's father. El jefe de los jefes.

13. Thanks CIGAR, itloving thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1st class cockfighting on everything!

So they don't "range" their chicks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnucum View Post
    1st class cockfighting on everything!

So they don't "range" their chicks?
    No range. They don't believe in "socializing" the chickens. All individually raised and single mated. So they can observe each bird as an individual.

16. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

really a first class facilities, good food and entertainment

i like the idea of the cage hanging in the wall, they maximize the space. the only thing is they do not have a pan to catch the dung? but hey, the flooring looks clean

Post Thanks / Like

Me, Our hosts Edmond, Jr., Edmond Sr., Boy and Felipe.

Edmoncito with the editor of Palenque de Oro magazine.

Silvio Dabas aka "Gasolina" from the DR with David Salvatierra of Peru. Gasolina is one of the more colorful characters in the pit. Great guy! Always happy

I was so excited to see a fellow Asian But he's pure Ecuadorian and only speaks Spanish. His great grandfather migrated to Ecuador from China. So no more Oriental. Pure Latino Segundo Lopez.

Our host, Edmond Elias, Jr. "El Arquitecto."

19. Thanks itloving thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Cockfighting -- In the Dominican Republic

egl,

Here is the awards ceremony.

The gentlemen in orange and blue are the Venezuelans.
    thank you senteciador,the man in blue shirt in the second picture should be luis fernando rios leader of the venezuelan entry ''la riera'' they are from maturin monagas state,eastern part of venezuela but with him traveled other important breeders of that area to suport the venezuelan participation.thank you very much for your information .

21. Thanks Sentenciador thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see. OK.

I enjoyed the pico y espuela. It's a very tough weapon. You need real game cocks to take all that to the head and neck. I even had an insecure moment and had doubts if my own birds could take all that without running I mean in the Philippines we use Western breeds and they only hit the body. They can take body shots with no problem, but they've never been tested in the espuelas and getting hit in the head constantly. Maybe you can try? As for downgrading Western breeds for espuelas, I don't think it will be successful. You need to billhold and hit the head. The birds there are bred for that. What are the bloodlines used there? I'm curious. It's not Hatch, Kelso, Claret for sure.

I think you will be at a disadvantage with Western cocks because they do not billhold and they hit the body. Hitting the body with the espuelas is not gonna hurt the other guy.

Best of all is the organization and format of the fights. It's really well done. I will make it my mission to bring that format here in the PH. I want to build a pit as nice as Sto. Domingo. I heard Santiago is even nicer?

I did try to bring a dozen Jim Clem Black Japs and a dozen High Noon Hatch. i came through the airport in Santiago and they were confiscated and crushed before my eyes. Bad way to start a trip. this was 6/13/2013 i just got back. I was thinking that a rooster that can fight without sticking his neck out for a bill hold and just throw feet can do pretty good. I have a 5x winner spangle that has that style in the begining of the fight then typical bill hold but hes never went longer than 2 minutes. I like that and im line breeding him.

There really isnt any main bloodline because most of the chickens are scatter bred. Winners to winners. For a long time! A select minority i would say are actually inbreeding and maintaining tight blood. I myself am new at this, only 3 years, but i have a BASIC knowledge of what careful and intelligent inbreeding can accomplish and i hope to be better than the average.
    In these three years i have gotten hold of a 9x winner and his good producing sister another 8x winner from my cousin (60 been cocking since 5) my 5x winner spangle and on this trip i bought, from the same man of the 9x winner, a 12x winner 2 year old going into molt and sparred good. Also a couple of good hens to keep them company. i plan on using no new blood for the next 5 years. Lets see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Edmond Elias, Jr and his father are some of the top dogs in the DR. Doesnt get much better than them.

Post Thanks / Like

they were confiscated and crushed before my eyes.
    Try the Filipino style.... When you show your passport to customs, put a $20 bill in with the declaration form. It works everytime

25. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last batch

Here's the last set of photos...

How to Haul your Chickens 101

By private jet, of course! Puerto Rico to DR. Duhamel and Felix Colon and Rafael Hernandez

It was all worth the effort

27. Thanks itloving thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And my favorite picture of all...

Me with the President of the Dominican Republic (2000-2004) Hipolito Mejia.

29. Likes CIGAR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's begin:

So, first and foremost, let me explain why we were in the Dominican Republic (DR):
    Senti,
    I'm too slow to see this thread. Anyway your welcome and tell Mang Boy i'll probably check you out this January for more chicken talk. Sayang NO KODAKAN gudlak.....
    Last edited by edwin; June 29th, 2013 at 04:42 AM.

31. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Cockfighting -- In the Dominican Republic

Farm Visit. "Farm" of Edmond Elias.

To call this simply a "farm" is an understatement. This is more like an "Hacienda."
    I thought Philippines is the best country to raise a gamecock I guess i'm wrong again hehehe

33. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup! How've you been?

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup! How've you been?

Cheers!
    Got scared last week and diagnosed with myocardial inferior infarc from my job because of 3 weeks continues chest pain and numbness on my left arm. Saw the doctor for another ECG, cardiac enzymes, troponin level and results are all negative and still cannot sleep and go for stress test again and same result negative. And i just found out that the first ECG one of the lead was wrong so gave me a scary result. Anway my doctor said my heart is better than his and i can get another young wife, cheers.
    "bad because it's scare the helll out me but good now i really have to behave a little bit with alcohol, food and pullets hehehe

36. Likes Sonic Jammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Boy Marzo joined the competition? Whats the result?

Post Thanks / Like

No. We can't compete there, yet. Totally different game. Must learn again from scratch.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW......Espuela Paradise Indeed! Thanks for sharing your trip to that Postiza country,sir Senti. Siguro, libo libong DR Pesos ang pusta(center bet) ng mga sumali sa International derby na yan. Magkano naman kaya ang entree fee nila sa derby na yan at magkano naman kaya ang guaranteed prize ng champion? Mayroon din kaya silang Handlers fee and Gaffers fee?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Just got back from the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean with Boy Marzo

One hell of a trip! We were invited to their "International Derby" held last week.

Gonna just get the photos organized and I'll share it here. Stay tuned

Abangan!
    Really cool! I am dreaming of getting invited to an International Derby too. btw what brand of feeds are they using for their cocks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    WOW......Espuela Paradise Indeed! Thanks for sharing your trip to that Postiza country,sir Senti. Siguro, libo libong DR Pesos ang pusta(center bet) ng mga sumali sa International derby na yan. Magkano naman kaya ang entree fee nila sa derby na yan at magkano naman kaya ang guaranteed prize ng champion? Mayroon din kaya silang Handlers fee and Gaffers fee?
    Hi FILAMEX,

They bet like Filipinos. 50K, 100K. Didn't see one in the millions. More sport and social event. Like a round of golf between friends. Friendly betting.

No Handlers and Gaffers prize. I mentioned above that all the handling and the gaffing is done by the pit. They are cockpit employees. You cannot gaff and handle yourself.

Nick,

You'll be surprised. Their feed is simple: Whole Corn (soaked). That's it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi FILAMEX,

They bet like Filipinos. 50K, 100K. Didn't see one in the millions. More sport and social event. Like a round of golf between friends. Friendly betting.

No Handlers and Gaffers prize. I mentioned above that all the handling and the gaffing is done by the pit. They are cockpit employees. You cannot gaff and handle yourself.

Nick,

You'll be surprised. Their feed is simple: Whole Corn (soaked). That's it!
    Thanks Sir Senti. But I'm very much surprised that you did not see bets in the Millions. For a Grand Event like that and the immaculate facilities they have, I was thinking that bets would be easy in the couple or three million DR pesos. Guess they need to learn another Pinoy way for their bets to reach the Millions. They should also allocate some "Pork Barrell" funds in their national budget.
    Seriously though, how they do as you said is more classy to me.
    Anyway, what do you think about using One inch to 1 1/2 inch Gaffs against their Espuelas/Postizas of equal lenght? I'm just wondering if they would be ammenable to it as it seems like they have similar debilitating effects.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. They probably don't have the pork barrel system They use their own hard earned money. That's why walang babuyan sa betting

Gaff vs. Espuelas? Steel vs. Plastic? The steel is a bigger advantage. The steel will always make a hole, the plastic sometimes bounces off the skin. I takes awhile for the plastic to pierce a hole.

Regards.