Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thompson Whites

Re: Thompson Whites

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretHatch View Post
    Thompson Whites are just off shoots of Madigin Claret blood.
    Mine are mostly White DomJ D Gay Dom -Harry Charles.jpg

Harry Charles Doms.jpgStory from the Grit & Steel.

Harry Charles Doms a.jpg rest of the story from January 1975 G&S

Sir Bama that would be a perfect read, any file a bit more clearer if you may have...thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretHatch View Post
    Thompson Whites are just off shoots of Madigin Claret blood.
    I very much doubt that they are off shoots of Clarets. I did read that they contained blood from a Chinese (I think) white rooster that carried the dominant white gene. The history has been written about and I think posted above (I haven't read the images yet).

http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showt...mpson-s-origin

Check out the posts from Wildfoot. They came off of Australian hens which were White Clarets.

I think those are the Manziel Pyle Thompsons different line same name. They are recessive whites. Yellow legs too.

The Hen Side of this breeding

came from Australia ! The breeders name was Gordon Pine. He died last December, I believe he was related to Col. Madigan. His whites have always been known as White Clarets. These are out and out Gaff birds. Good birds, fast multiple shufflers and cut, boy can they cut.

Wildfoot

mohamid

If you read the history of game strains, R. Thompson originated them from stock obtained from Hutchison and Australian Hen (white) Now, that white hen came from the yard of Gordon Pine. We (Gordon and I) had lenghty talks over the years before he died and he gave me a yard of those whites as I gifted him my Blueface. Gordon's wife was a McCloulugh and they were directly related to the Col Madigin. He spoke about sending R. Thompson some eggs as Thompson wanted some pure clarets. The Col. never sold any pure clarets and Gordon had them as the Col thought that Australia was too far from his competition. It was not until the Col's death that he sent the eggs to Thompson. Gordon's whites are well respected and so was the man.

Wildfoot

That is what I know to be the composition of the Thompson Whites that were made by Roy Thompson..not Manziel Pyles. I read the history of the post but couldn't get all the information of it because the jpg is too small. However it seems like an interesting history.

Funny, I've read his name was Braford Thompson and he used a white "China Pheasent cock" over his Pyle hens. The history you gave to us CH seems very foreign to me as I've never heard anything like it regarding Thompson Whites.

Chinese Whites might be related to Thompson White.

Thompson Whites were originated by Bradford Thompson by using a white cock procured from Col. Bragg, which was called a white China Pheasant cock (why called pheasant cock it is hard to say, as he was just an ordinary game cock) over his Pyle hens; breeding him back to his daughters. He soon had a strain coming pure white with yellow legs and beaks, red eyes and straight combs. Cocks weighed from 4:04 to 6:00. It is claimed that Thompson never lost a main and only a very few hacks with them. (Original Source: Dictionary of Game Strains, pg. 10.)

These are the ones that I am use to knowing about the Pyle blood.

Two different books with two different histories with two different Thompsons. However what I am use to knowing and calling the Thompson Whites have the history of the Australian hens.

The ones that have the yellow legs or are known for that come off the China cock ones. Hope this doesn't add to the confusion.

Game white birds? Have not seen very many down here in mexico. We get an occasional one that is very good. But have not seen anybody put a family together and when a derby. Any of these fighting on the west coast of mexico, i've always liked them but never found any worth showing

Hi fellers! I'm trying to track down a Thompson black and google gives me some pretty odd search results but nothing about game cocks. This site is as close as I've gotten. They were supposedly developed by a man named Seth Thompson and he was apparently quite the cocker many years ago…its said that he shipped his birds around the world.
    We purchased a farm from Seth's daughter several years ago, which she lived here for about 10yrs after he passed away, and I've been breeding a variety of chickens here. It took a couple years before someone spoke of Seth's background and the history of this farm. The locals all have stories about Seth and they said he had hundreds of birds of here. I know I can hardly till any ground without turning up something to do with poultry..haha

Anyway, I would like to bring a piece of this local mans' history back to its place of origin as it seems he is missed by all who knew him. I imagine it would put a smile on some of these old timers face again to see a familiar fowl roaming the farm again.
    So, has anyone heard of or know where to acquire the blacks or is anyone familiar with any of his games? Here's a link to a site that mentions him briefly...

http://www.heartsurgeonfarm.50megs.com/about.html

Thanks for any info or advice
    Brant

Curtis Blackwell didn't have a white family of fowl. The whites came out of his Hatch fowl any were not many of them. Bud & Carl fought a lot of Curtis' blood that Carl bred that would thro several of these whites each year. I have seen them in the brooder at Carl's. Hatched out yellow. All these whites went to Tiny Taylor if any of you local guys remember him and he fought tough with them. I also know for a fact that certain Hatch blood off Harold Brown's yard would produce the whites the same as Curtis'. I've had my hands on them more than once. I don't think Harold or Curtis put the white blood in the Hatches but do know that they swapped broodfowl many times.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydux View Post
    Hi fellers! I'm trying to track down a Thompson black and google gives me some pretty odd search results but nothing about game cocks. This site is as close as I've gotten. They were supposedly developed by a man named Seth Thompson and he was apparently quite the cocker many years ago…its said that he shipped his birds around the world.
    We purchased a farm from Seth's daughter several years ago, which she lived here for about 10yrs after he passed away, and I've been breeding a variety of chickens here. It took a couple years before someone spoke of Seth's background and the history of this farm. The locals all have stories about Seth and they said he had hundreds of birds of here. I know I can hardly till any ground without turning up something to do with poultry..haha

Anyway, I would like to bring a piece of this local mans' history back to its place of origin as it seems he is missed by all who knew him. I imagine it would put a smile on some of these old timers face again to see a familiar fowl roaming the farm again.
    So, has anyone heard of or know where to acquire the blacks or is anyone familiar with any of his games? Here's a link to a site that mentions him briefly...

http://www.heartsurgeonfarm.50megs.com/about.html

Thanks for any info or advice
    Brant
    Could someone point me to a forum that might be able to help??

Louis Beard breeds good Thompson Whites

I've seen Thompson Whites on facebook. Search for Wakela Game Farm or Ledora Game Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by ROD610 View Post
    Louis Beard breeds good Thompson Whites
    No doubt MR. Beard had some good Thompson Whites. I also know that a lot of the Whites he showed back in the day, at least he ones he showed around home were 1/8 and 1/4 White blood and the rest of the blood was Hatch.

Good morning. Sir Tiny Meneses had some from Bamaokie. Please share some pictures of the offsprings.

Just so I'm clear, I'm searching for blacks. I'm not certain there is such a bird, just going by what a couple of the locals told me to look for…they could be wrong

100% straight comb. I dont like much white fowl but these ones are pretty good

This is my opinion. If you have a Thompson white. Try breeding it with a Spanish grey or a light Grey fowl. They come out really good and also will come out as a yellowish white. Thompson white are good flyers that go up & down. But are not as aggresive. Crossing them will add the aggresiveness and will still keep there lighter white color. I've breed it b4 and had lots of win with that type of mixture

THOMPSON WHITES.
    The original of this breed of game fowls was imported from 'China by a gentleman of Virginia, under the name of the China Pheasant Games. [Why the word " Pheasant" was attached, we are at a loss to say, as no Pheasant marks or traits distinguished it. The only accepted reason is, that it was at that time popular to attach the word to varieties of fowls, and in some cases to varieties of games.] A main was made to fight against the late Bradford Thompson, then the most successful -cock-fighter in the State.
    Amongst others the imported China Pheasant game cock was matched, but when he was brought into the pit, Mr. Thompson offered to forfeit the match if the cock could be bought for fifty dollars, which offer was accepted.
    Mr. Thompson kept the cock for a breeder, and by running with him a selection of his finest hens, and reserving only those that took after the cock in color, he very soon established the ,color and peculiarities he desired, besides, one of the best breeds ,of game fowls ever known in the Southern StatesIt was a boast of Mr. Thompson's that though he had made a great number of mains with his white cocks, they had never -disappointed him, as he had never lost a main with them, and rarely even a single fight.
    After Mr. Thompson moved to Alabama, he was not personally engaged in any main, though he would let his friends have -cocks, who fought them invariably with success. It is easily discovered how these fowls dropped the original name of China Pheasant Game for the more appropriate one of Thompson Whites.
    Up to the time of the death of Mr. Thompson he raised no other fowls on his place in Alabama but the Thompson Whites, and would let no one have the stock to raise from, as the cocks he let out to fight were to be returned if not killed. By judicious crossing he kept them constantly up to the mark, not only in size but also in gameness.After his death some of the stock got into other hands, and for the purpose of keeping them pure, they have been bred inand-in too long, as the sizewhich was originally smallhas been still farther reduced, though in point of gameness they are as good as ever.
    These fowls are easily described. Both cocks and hens are pure white, with bright yellow beaks and legs. When they were in their prime, in the hands of Mr. Thompson, the cocks would weigh from four to five pounds. For fowls of this size they were remarkably well bodied, and very strong." They were quick, active and savage, and would often win the fight before the other cock would begin.
    The author was presented with a trio of the Thompson Whites by a friend in Georgia, obtained directly from the widow Thompson. They were very pretty, but not much larger than the largest sized Bantams. We placed the trio on a walk for the purpose of breeding from them, and afterwards testing their qualities, but the cock, after numerous battles with neighbors of "low degree," was one morning found dead, his head crushed by a brick, thrown doubtless by some one who had received injury or was envious of the qualities he displayed. The experiment was not pursued further, as the stock had been bred in-and-in, to so great an extent that the fowls were unfit for other than quick fighting, and had lost bodily vigor. The description and history furnished above comes from the gentleman who presented us with the Thompson Whites, and who at the same time sent some Claibornes, with their history and description.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoni View Post
    I very much doubt that they are off shoots of Clarets. I did read that they contained blood from a Chinese (I think) white rooster that carried the dominant white gene. The history has been written about and I think posted above (I haven't read the images yet).
    I just read lately, but can't remember or find the info. again, that the original Thompsons were bred in the early to mid 1800s and hat some portion of the makeup was White Dom. But the cocks were white before the Dom was added. I do know this blood is dominate white and the clarets are recessive white. Also this blood never shows yellow legs. Always come whiteleg, white beak, straight comb, fiery red eyes, cocks pure white, hens occasionally will show a black feather or 2. Mostly gentle happy cocks. Very fast and aggressive. Cut very well. Also very game. Little short on bottom, but if you don't stop them quick, then the fight is over because he will stop you.

Mr. Carmarines, Do you hve the date of the letter of your recent post?

Two different families of Thompson Whites...probably none of the first family still around..the first mentioned...history by Dr. Cooper around the Civil War.

One of my whites in action they carry 1/8th blueface rest Thompson

If I'm not totally confused, these white leg Thompsons are whatBamaOkie and Coon raise and have posted about. There are still some of these in north Al. and Tenn. The ones I know about came from Alvin Scott of Florence,AL. Her advertised in the mags. for many yrs. Jst speculating, Mr. Scott could have gotten these fowl from Scott Gay who lived at Hoenwald, Tenn. He kept several of the old breeds and some were competetive. He won at least derby at Pumpkin Valley with some blood that I had read about in the mags. but had not seen before or since. Tim and Coon Help out.