Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Brother/sister breeding

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Brother/sister breeding

    I kinda messed up in my breeding program. Now all i have to bredd to keep my blood. I have a rooster who im breeding to his half neace half sister she isnt his full sister. The reason i got to do this i was planning on breeding another rooster to her of the same blood but a dog got him. So will a half sister half neace hurt to breed to her half brother half uncle???? what should i do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member FIRE-RITE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by mattousley View Post
    I kinda messed up in my breeding program. Now all i have to bredd to keep my blood. I have a rooster who im breeding to his half neace half sister she isnt his full sister. The reason i got to do this i was planning on breeding another rooster to her of the same blood but a dog got him. So will a half sister half neace hurt to breed to her half brother half uncle???? what should i do?
    Do it. Make good selection when the time comes. YFIS

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    647
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Breed them , raise some. If they're good it will just set the gene pat. a little closer.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    I do it all the time. Iv'e set a strain using full bro/sis matings. Have did the same with dogs........fastest way to create a gene pool with consistant traits....... My practice and opinion anyways.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oahu, HI.
    Posts
    490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    I'm not afraid to breed brother to sister and I have done it and it has produced better than original fowl. You can lock in desirable traits this way and you can do this every so many generations to keep them good. You won't have any problems with your mating as far as genes go.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    i had done it half sib mating, full sib mating, nephew to aunt, mother to son, daughter to father, just don't do it for two consecutive generations alternate every generation you can do intensive mating the first generation and less intensive the following generation and test the offspring for gameness and cutting ability..

  7. #7
    Administrator Sentenciador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    2,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Yes, do it.

    As a test too. If the roosters from a brother sister mating win their fights and are dead game, you will know they are from good bloodlines.

    Then line breed from that and you will have good stock for crossing at 3/4. then fight at 3/4 and if they win most and are game, you would have discovered the pot of gold

  8. #8
    Senior Member Zacdaddy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by mattousley View Post
    I kinda messed up in my breeding program. Now all i have to bredd to keep my blood. I have a rooster who im breeding to his half neace half sister she isnt his full sister. The reason i got to do this i was planning on breeding another rooster to her of the same blood but a dog got him. So will a half sister half neace hurt to breed to her half brother half uncle???? what should i do?
    Matt, we talked a few months ago. My advise is, don't waste your time. Your 17 years old, and live in an area full of good chicken men. Just cut your losses on these ones, and go get you some more good chickens to breed.

    ,Zac

  9. #9
    Member Lil Canyon Game's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA-NW
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77 View Post
    Matt, we talked a few months ago. My advise is, don't waste your time. Your 17 years old, and live in an area full of good chicken men. Just cut your losses on these ones, and go get you some more good chickens to breed.

    ,Zac

    I agree with Zac totally! Unless you have "world beater" type fowl that you cannot obtain anywhere else of that quality....then do it. I think you can find something as good if not better at the sounds of it. Takes years too! Only do this on something that is absolutely worth it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ringgold, GA
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    If they are a solid game family to begin with bro/sis mating will not hurt them occasionly, will even help them if the cock/hen are exceptional individuals, only time it hurts is if they have some **** in them already, it intensifies it. I would not advise bro/sis mating all the time as it creates what they call depression, they lose bone mass, get shorter station, mean, and their immune system suffers but occasionaly won't hurt a solid family unless you do it excessively

  11. #11
    Senior Member gaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Zac gives you good advice here.
    If you're into showing just buy brood fowl and test off spring.
    Creating and maintaining a family is difficult and expensive. It's much cheaper to buy.
    Jmo.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    647
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    I bred my hatch bro & sis and they were already related. Took the pullets back to the same cock 3 times. The cocks from that were wonderful. Every one made great brood cocks when bred to fresh family. The did get a little smaller and not as healthy. If they are good and you like them breed them. yis LaBlue

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    I got damn good chickens i didnt get them at no stocksale i got them off of the best breeders in eastern ky the breed im talking about here i won a derby with last janurary and there off of the one of the best who does it here in ky what makes u think my roosters are junk ill match in to anyone anytime u kinda insulted me here zac

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oahu, HI.
    Posts
    490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by mattousley View Post
    I got damn good chickens i didnt get them at no stocksale i got them off of the best breeders in eastern ky the breed im talking about here i won a derby with last janurary and there off of the one of the best who does it here in ky what makes u think my roosters are junk ill match in to anyone anytime u kinda insulted me here zac
    I think you mistook Zac's response as an insult. Zac is just saying since it will be difficult to keep these fowl going with what you have you may be better off just getting more fowl. He didn't say or imply your fowl are junk. Zac says he had spoken to you previously so he may know more than what was presented to us in the original post so he may be able to offer you a little more than the rest of us. Calm your nerves and read his words carefully, no need to get insulted and start announcing open challenges to any and all comers.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Golden Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by mattousley View Post
    I got damn good chickens i didnt get them at no stocksale i got them off of the best breeders in eastern ky the breed im talking about here i won a derby with last janurary and there off of the one of the best who does it here in ky what makes u think my roosters are junk ill match in to anyone anytime u kinda insulted me here zac

    Matt take it easy, you're in a forum, members will chip in their opinion so just take it as they are- opinions. You are the one that knows your chicken and so you want to keep them as they are. Breed the ones you got, so you can keep the bloodline going. Raised as many as you can so you can have several to choose from. I do believe it can be done. In fact what you have are not even full siblings. Set hour goal and keep going.... Good Luck!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    thanks and sorry if i just misunderstood you zac i just know my lines are good and wanna keep them i dont wanna start all over

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by Keoni View Post
    I think you mistook Zac's response as an insult. Zac is just saying since it will be difficult to keep these fowl going with what you have you may be better off just getting more fowl. He didn't say or imply your fowl are junk. Zac says he had spoken to you previously so he may know more than what was presented to us in the original post so he may be able to offer you a little more than the rest of us. Calm your nerves and read his words carefully, no need to get insulted and start announcing open challenges to any and all comers.

    I don't think it will be hard to maintain them with what you have. Especially if you have already won with them. Most are to eager to switch fowl . Hard to be successful without consistently .

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oahu, HI.
    Posts
    490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by longheel View Post
    I don't think it will be hard to maintain them with what you have. Especially if you have already won with them. Most are to eager to switch fowl . Hard to be successful without consistently .
    I don't think it would be difficult either just gonna take some time, I'm in this same position at the moment but I'm one generation ahead of where he is at with his fowl. Gonna take a lot of time and planning to get them proper.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by Keoni View Post
    I don't think it would be difficult either just gonna take some time, I'm in this same position at the moment but I'm one generation ahead of where he is at with his fowl. Gonna take a lot of time and planning to get them proper.
    I agree, Selection is the key to any program.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Zacdaddy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by mattousley View Post
    I got damn good chickens i didnt get them at no stocksale i got them off of the best breeders in eastern ky the breed im talking about here i won a derby with last janurary and there off of the one of the best who does it here in ky what makes u think my roosters are junk ill match in to anyone anytime u kinda insulted me here zac
    Wasn't saying they are junk, I'm going to just let this go, I might have thought the same thing when I was 17 LoL . So, instead of breeding your "half niece" half bro-sis. Why don't you just go buy another stag or pullet from this best breeder in East Ky? What bloodline is it? And from who?


    ,Zac

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oahu, HI.
    Posts
    490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77 View Post
    Wasn't saying they are junk, I'm going to just let this go, I might have thought the same thing when I was 17 LoL . So, instead of breeding your "half niece" half bro-sis. Why don't you just go buy another stag or pullet from this best breeder in East Ky? What bloodline is it? And from who?


    ,Zac
    Quote Originally Posted by mattousley View Post
    thanks and sorry if i just misunderstood you zac i just know my lines are good and wanna keep them i dont wanna start all over
    It's all good in the woods.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Like Harold Brown said if you can't breed brother sister you need new chickens.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Outlaw greys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Hell we do that all the time any way youll have no problems if your willing to keep up with your breeding and single mate

  24. #24
    Senior Member Engkanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Balete Tree
    Posts
    1,359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Guys, everyone of us was once a student and the best way to learn is to experience it first hand and see it with our own eyes. It may be more expensive and takes time, but definitely worth it.

    Matt, do what you tjhink is best for your breeding. You said you have good birds then by all means do what it takes to save and propagate it. There are a lot of threads on breeding on this site, Bro-sis, line breeding, etc. and the last time I check, there is no one yet who can definitely say that his method is right and the best. Results are not always consistent with any breeding method, a lot of factors to consider. You know your birds better, so follow your instinct. If you later found out that you’re wrong, then you’ll be smarter. But if you’re right, then you’ll be the happiest man in the world.

    Good luck!

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    El Gulfo
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    The only way U know is by trying. Some fowl aren't bothered by inbreeding some are.

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    If you have good/great fowl and the only way to maintain them is bro/sis breeding i would do it. No need to go buy more brood fowl that you dont know what you are going to get and having to shell out loads of cash.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Gypsygamefarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Iam doing it right now but don't keep doing it they'll start getting small

  28. #28
    Senior Member Golden Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    Choose the top weights so you won't set the trend of your fowl getting smaller. Keep a smaller specimen, you might need it if your fowls grows their size!

  29. #29
    Senior Member PeterJBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Brother/sister breeding

    By doing this kind of mating you lock in the genes you are looking to preserve. This also can back fire and show undesirable genes. When you get undesirable genes that doesn't means they are not good for breeding what hat means they will not tolerate inbreeding withing families. You could be able to use them to make crosses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •