Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Survivor: a rooster story

Post Thanks / Like

The Survivor: a rooster story

Several years ago I had three single-mated asil hens hatch several pure asil chicks on the same day. I marked the chicks, gave them all to one of the hens to raise and threw all of the infertile/unhatched eggs down in the woods. After I threw the eggs, I heard some weak peeping from that direction, and I realized that one of the eggs must of contained a chick that was too weak to hatch or was delayed for some reason. I continued my chores, as this is a sport about "survival of the fittest" and I wasn't going to try to save this chick.

Fifteen minutes later, one of my Pyrenees walked by with a wet, peeping chick in her mouth. I took the chick away, and figured it was the same chick that had come from the eggs I discarded. The chick was wet, but seemed otherwise fine. I had put one of the asil hens that had hatched but not allowed to keep her chicks on a tie cord nearby, so I gave her the chick.

The next morning, the hen was a wreck. An unknown varmint had attempted to kill her, cut her in several places and had torn a bunch of feathers off, but she was still alive. However, the chick was gone. I assumed it had been eaten by whatever had attacked the hen. But in a few minutes, as I was making the rounds with the feed bucket, I heard some peeping in the woods, and found the chick. Scared and cold, but fluffed up and uninjured. I gave the chick to the hen and she took it back.

Several weeks passed and the hen recovered and the chick grew into a stag. They began to roost together on the teepee every night. The stag was usually cautious and kept his distance at feeding time, but was calm when I handled him at night.

I knew he was a pure asil, but didn't know for sure which hen he was out of, so I decided to give him to a good friend of mine to breed. I told him the story and named him "The Survivor". He molted him to a cock and loaned him to his brother who hacked him in the gaff. "The Survivor" won in two pittings. A month later, he was hacked again and won another quick fight. He was bred to some Albany hens, and the next year, he was loaned to a friend and was showed again, this time in a gaff derby and won again in two pittings.

At this point, I should of asked for the rooster back and bred him myself, but with too many asil cocks already, that were toe marked with their parents and grandparents, etc. in the record book, I didn't.

The next thing I knew, my friend shipped the rooster to Vietnam, where he was showed again in the gaff a few weeks after arrival. This time he won the hard way, from behind.

The latest update, from a few weeks ago, is that he was shown again, and won again, from behind. The Survivor survives.... and I have offered the Vietnamese owner some hens to breed. But he says he is not a breeder, so I responded "do you KNOW any breeders because the rooster deserves to be retired and bred"!

Here's a pic of "The Survivor" before his trip overseas...

Last edited by JWPurdy; November 30th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

2. Thanks curry thanked for this post
    Likes mariojose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Survivor: a rooster story

He definately is a survivor and a well skilled one. Hopefully to pass offspring

Post Thanks / Like

Great story and a great cock.

Post Thanks / Like

he's purdy... get it ... however, i must say that he may be a John Purdy's pure asil, but not a pure asil per definition of asil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newtogame2 View Post
    he's purdy... get it ... however, i must say that he may be a John Purdy's pure asil, but not a pure asil per definition of asil.
    He's a Cobra Asil, and as pure as I received the bloodline. I'm motivated by results, not names, and they have been excellent. Not sure what motivates you, but guessing you like to stir the pot...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JWPurdy View Post
    He's a Cobra Asil, and as pure as I received the bloodline. I'm motivated by results, not names, and they have been excellent. Not sure what motivates you, but guessing you like to stir the pot...
    just call them as i see them, John... i don't care about names either... a so and so's pure grey may have red in their wings, but it's his pure grey... although a pure grey should be all grey with no red... that's what i am trying to get at.

a little stiring keeps things honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story! I hope he gets retired to brood pen! Maybe that guy in Vietnam will decide to breed him.

Post Thanks / Like

vietnamese cockers dont know wtf they are doing they dont breed like us

Post Thanks / Like

That's one hell of a story and cock. I tell ya that cock deserves to be breed

Post Thanks / Like

although a pure grey should be all grey with no red...
    OK, then, he's 173 and 1/3 Grey and 33.9994621 percent Red if that tickles your fancy.

Post Thanks / Like

great story man, cock definitely deserves to be bred

Post Thanks / Like

I love to read things about gamefowl and this ranks up there with the best of them! Thanks for sharing! That bird deserves to be put in a brood pen!
    Last edited by jncblas; November 30th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    OK, then, he's 173 and 1/3 Grey and 33.9994621 percent Red if that tickles your fancy.
    that's what i dislike at times is when some act as though they know what something is when really they have no idea as to how it was bred and by who. it makes no sense to me to say a pure grey is always grey. so any with a hint of brass on 'em are not real greys? i say bs plain and simple. thank you for pointing that out sir. i'd breed that cock all day every day as a PURE asil!!
    Last edited by leonidas; November 30th, 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: left out my main point

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with you leonidas.

It just spoils the party. It's a good real story. Could have been an RIR for all I care. The story is good

And I'd like to see if he's prepotent. That's a good rooster!

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I had three single-mated asil hens hatch several pure asil chicks on the same day. I marked the chicks, gave them all to one of the hens to raise and threw all of the infertile/unhatched eggs down in the woods. After I threw the eggs, I heard some weak peeping from that direction, and I realized that one of the eggs must of contained a chick that was too weak to hatch or was delayed for some reason. I continued my chores, as this is a sport about "survival of the fittest" and I wasn't going to try to save this chick.

Fifteen minutes later, one of my Pyrenees walked by with a wet, peeping chick in her mouth. I took the chick away, and figured it was the same chick that had come from the eggs I discarded. The chick was wet, but seemed otherwise fine. I had put one of the asil hens that had hatched but not allowed to keep her chicks on a tie cord nearby, so I gave her the chick.

The next morning, the hen was a wreck. An unknown varmint had attempted to kill her, cut her in several places and had torn a bunch of feathers off, but she was still alive. However, the chick was gone. I assumed it had been eaten by whatever had attacked the hen. But in a few minutes, as I was making the rounds with the feed bucket, I heard some peeping in the woods, and found the chick. Scared and cold, but fluffed up and uninjured. I gave the chick to the hen and she took it back.

Several weeks passed and the hen recovered and the chick grew into a stag. They began to roost together on the teepee every night. The stag was usually cautious and kept his distance at feeding time, but was calm when I handled him at night.

I knew he was a pure asil, but didn't know for sure which hen he was out of, so I decided to give him to a good friend of mine to breed. I told him the story and named him "The Survivor". He molted him to a cock and loaned him to his brother who hacked him in the gaff. "The Survivor" won in two pittings. A month later, he was hacked again and won another quick fight. He was bred to some Albany hens, and the next year, he was loaned to a friend and was showed again, this time in a gaff derby and won again in two pittings.

At this point, I should of asked for the rooster back and bred him myself, but with too many asil cocks already, that were toe marked with their parents and grandparents, etc. in the record book, I didn't.

The next thing I knew, my friend shipped the rooster to Vietnam, where he was showed again in the gaff a few weeks after arrival. This time he won the hard way, from behind.

The latest update, from a few weeks ago, is that he was shown again, and won again, from behind. The Survivor survives.... and I have offered the Vietnamese owner some hens to breed. But he says he is not a breeder, so I responded "do you KNOW any breeders because the rooster deserves to be retired and bred"!

Here's a pic of "The Survivor" before his trip overseas...

Great story! If it was me, marked or unmarked - just put it in my record book, I would have gotten the cock back and bred him. Although being a winner and prepotency are two different things, I would take my chances.

How about the rest of that batch? How did they do? Just curious.

17. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

of course it's a great story... i had John's asil and grey in the past... and i'm the one that put him in contact with the broker to ship his birds to VN... but when i see something i don't agree with, i'm going to state my opinion... this is a public forum, after all... if you don't like my input, just ban me... simple.

btw, i didn't say if he should not be bred again, did i? everybody knows that for the steel, it's faster to get result to breed something that already has some American blood in them than the true-to-type asils.
    Last edited by newtogame2; December 1st, 2013 at 12:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newtogame2 View Post
    of course it's a great story... i had John's asil and grey in the past... and i'm the one that put him in contact with the broker to ship his birds to VN... but when i see something i don't agree with, i'm going to state my opinion... this is a public forum, after all... if you don't like my input, just ban me... simple.

btw, i didn't say if he should not be bred again, did i? everybody knows that for the steel, it's faster to get result to breed something that already has some American blood in them than the true-to-type asils.
    I'm struggling to figure out what you are even doing on this thread. The story is about a great rooster and your opinion as to the "purity" of his bloodline is irrelevant. When you say you "see something you don't agree with", I'm assuming you are talking about my use of the words "pure asil" when describing the rooster. As I indicated before, the rooster was a pure Cobra Asil, out of fowl shared by a breeder who also described them as Cobra Asils. I believe they are typical Cobras, and to varying degrees show western influence. It is common knowledge among Asil breeders that the Cobras have some western infusion, as have many other Asil families in use today. I can only figure that you take pleasure at showing how smart you are regardless of whether your input is relevant or not (you just want to toot your horn), or perhaps are bitter because you lost everything you got from me due to poor management.

20. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trans13 View Post
    How about the rest of that batch? How did they do? Just curious.
    They became excellent broodfowl. I still carry feed and water to them daily... enough said!

22. Likes trans13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm struggling to figure out what you are even doing on this thread. The story is about a great rooster and your opinion as to the "purity" of his bloodline is irrelevant. When you say you "see something you don't agree with", I'm assuming you are talking about my use of the words "pure asil" when describing the rooster. As I indicated before, the rooster was a pure Cobra Asil, out of fowl shared by a breeder who also described them as Cobra Asils. I believe they are typical Cobras, and to varying degrees show western influence. It is common knowledge among Asil breeders that the Cobras have some western infusion, as have many other Asil families in use today. I can only figure that you take pleasure at showing how smart you are regardless of whether your input is relevant or not (you just want to toot your horn), or perhaps are bitter because you lost everything you got from me due to poor management.

now John, i always had respect for you, so i was not going to mention the quality of your fowls... but now that you brought it up... i lost the lone asil stag due to pen fight before i had a chance to do anything with him, so "poor management" is fair enough... but the greys i chose to discard because i only wanted 1 family of straight comb (started out with too many, then realized time is a constraint), and found the butchers to be superiors to your regular greys, both strength and cut... i sent one of your hens to a guy named "dragpit" in gamerooster, not sure if it's the same guy here, and he was not impressed either... they are nothing to be bitter about.

yes, cobra as a family has American blood in it, but i still can say they are not pure by asil standard if i want, just in case someone does not know (kinda like in the magada asil thread)... even if the cobras are not true to type, the 2 hens you started with sure are close to type, but you know your old broodcock had less asil than some roundheads... i don't know why people take it so personal when it is what it is.

btw, an old cocker once told me if you want to sell fowls, just include a nice story with them...
    Last edited by newtogame2; December 1st, 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn you are amazing... DNA analysis, calculating "pure asil" percentages by eyesight. LOL.

Too bad about the greys... they were successful for many years bred to Albanys. But as I've written, and experienced, the key to successful breeding is choosing the right individuals within a bloodline. Getting the right bloodline is only part of the equation.

And clearly, not everyone has that selection ability...
    Last edited by JWPurdy; December 1st, 2013 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story man I have one asil x yellow leg that looks just like him !!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story JW...... A friend brought me chicks of a green leg hatch family he got from a relative in chino..... They were gifted because his uncle was cutting down on fowl..... It was a total of 4 chicks...... at the same time I acquired the chicks, I had hens with biddies running the yard...... the green leg chicks were about a month or two older than the rest so when set out on the yard, the green leg hatchs tried messing with the other chicks..... 3 of them were killed by momma hens, while one caught the drift and would just roost on the trees whenever he would see the flocks coming ....... he became a stag and is the only of the green leg family I have....... he's the one in the video that messed up a hawk on sabongtube that I uploaded......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turd ferguson View Post
    Nice story JW...... A friend brought me chicks of a green leg hatch family he got from a relative in chino..... They were gifted because his uncle was cutting down on fowl..... It was a total of 4 chicks...... at the same time I acquired the chicks, I had hens with biddies running the yard...... the green leg chicks were about a month or two older than the rest so when set out on the yard, the green leg hatchs tried messing with the other chicks..... 3 of them were killed by momma hens, while one caught the drift and would just roost on the trees whenever he would see the flocks coming ....... he became a stag and is the only of the green leg family I have....... he's the one in the video that messed up a hawk on sabongtube that I uploaded......
    I thought there wasnt any hawks in Compton. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Damn Pinoy!!!!!! I remember when you brought that to my attention!!!!! guess what....... oh, how I was wrong lmao

Post Thanks / Like

Damn you are amazing... DNA analysis, calculating "pure asil" percentages by eyesight. LOL.

Too bad about the greys... they were successful for many years bred to Albanys. But as I've written, and experienced, the key to successful breeding is choosing the right individuals within a bloodline. Getting the right bloodline is only part of the equation.

And clearly, not everyone has that selection ability...
    well, if you cannot tell pure asils vs. ones that already has something else in them by just looking, especially when it's so obvious... no wonder you call them pure.

your greys aren't bad, just not in the same caliber as the butchers i have... nothing about selection either... didn't have them long enough for selection... raised 2 stags from your stock, tested them to the butchers, one w/ gaffs, one the natural way... they didn't make it... died game though... it's not their fault, i rarely lost with these butchers... but i'm not a big derby guy, just brushing here and there... still,that may just be more than what you do with yours ... you are a good writer though, and i will always have respect for your writing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for bringing this back up.... The Survivor is still kicking. Here is his first cousin, another one of my "pure" Cobra Asils.

Post Thanks / Like

The first pic looks like almost like a aseel cock i had when i was 16 except he wasn't worth a ****.. nice story

Post Thanks / Like

nice story... i had an chicken once that i called "Survivor"...he didnt go throught as much as urs did tho..=)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for bringing this back up.... The Survivor is still kicking. Here is his first cousin, another one of my "pure" Cobra Asils.

Very nice asil JW, who ever has survivor is lucky man! I hope he does the right thing and have him in a brood pen!

Post Thanks / Like

Update from Vietnam...The Survivor has two more wins, one from behind. He has recovered, and is back in the fly pens. Retirement is apparently not going to happen for this guy.