Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly pen vs. cording

Post Thanks / Like

Fly pen vs. cording

When raising gamefowl which do you prefer fly pen or cording ? What are each advantages and disadvantages ? Which one is better/best for the gamefowl ?

Ref: 6x6x10 fly pen vs. 7ft. cord .., pls. advise

Bobwhite
    They both have their place in the yard, with different reasons for it, you can't compare them.

BUSHIDO BLADE
    i think a ply pen is much better, because the chicken has more movements with out restriction like the cord, but the problem iwht fly pen , the rooster is more agressive and usally will fight the handler.

bushido blade

Gallos Locos
    Rotate them from flypen to cord. For extended periods, I'd prefer the cord. As there is no issue of coop staleness here.

Neonapoclypse
    what is a fly pen?

what materials do i need to construct one?

what are the benefits of keeping your roosters in it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob White
    Bushido Blade
    Tsampoy
    Gallos Locos
    Neonapoclypse

Thank You very much guys for your kind response ..,

Womack
    The only time you need fly pens is during prekeep an keep if more will work them to muh

mariemae
    mas maganda cguro pag nka cord compared sa fly pen...... kc kung nka cord,mas marami syang makaing grass w/c is good 4 der health.... ok bang idea ko ? hehehehehe........
    :hat:

^bloody_thief^
    ok ang idea mo

blackhatch
    Fly pen is used to practise the flying ability of a gamecock most especially when you put a hen...it's a wing exercise, while...........

Cording is to put some muscles on left leg, madalas syang makipaghilahan sa tali and para ma get used to it na rin ung gamecock ne meron nakatali sa kaliwang paa...para kung susuutan mo na ng tari nde nya e2 tinutukatuka.

in short to differentiate the two ung isa wing exercise and ung isa leg exercise.

Neonapoclypse
    Excuse my ignorance, but I cannot understand the bulk of your second paragraph. I think i got the important stuff though, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb fly pen vs. cording

[COLOR=indigo][SIZE=1][SIZE=3][B] mga pards on my idea the fly pen is expensive but less space occupied visversa cording ceaper more space to occupied. :hat: :rbounce: ok's ba,hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Womack
    Mariemae
    Bloody_Thief
    BlackHatch
    Oredroc

Again thank you very much guys , this is a big help for me ..,

Wintuha
    You need fly pen and cording area for raising battle cock.

It is not comparable which is better because you need both of them.

You have to rotate your cock from fly pen to cording area and vice-versa, especially during the conditioning period.

For hardening stag up to their fighting age, cording are is the best place to put them.

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever works for you stick with it. For me rotation from fly pen to scratch (pen throw some dry feed). Keep the bird work on the feed for 15 minutes then tie cord. Tie cord is the best sulution for manfighter or high strung. With all the attention focus to the hens and pullets, it reduce stress. Para bagang si Mr. Suave, he he.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wintuha , Sundowner thank you very much guys ..,

galaxy
    WE GO FROM CORD INTO THE FLYPEN FOR 3 DAYS. THEN WE USE RICE HULLS IN THE FLYPEN AND THEY SCRATCH EACH MORNING DURING THE KEEP. THE 4TH DAY, THEY ARE OUT IN THE SUN ON A CORD WHICH IS VERY EXTENDED..........16FT. FOR 3 TO 4 HOURS BEFORE GOING BACK TO THE FLY PENS. THE LAST WEEK OF THE KEEP, THE BATTLECOCK IS PUT INTO OUR FIELD PEN WHICH IS A CLOSED IN PEN OF 25FT. X 40FT. BY HIMSELF FOR UP TO HALF A DAY WITH THE BALANCE OF THE TIME IN THE FLYPEN. NO CORD WHILE IN THE THE FIELD PEN AT ALL, JUST LOOSE.
    THREE DAYS PRIOR TO BATTLE, THE COCKS ARE LOCKED UP IN THE BATTLE CAGES WHICH ARE SEMI DARK AND TEMP. CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT. THEY ARE DROPPED 3 TIMES A DAY AND FED A SPECIAL BATTLE MIX. FOR US, ITS CRITICAL TO SEE THE DROPPINGS OF THE COCKS EACH TIME INSIDE THE BOX. THE DROPPINGS TELL US IF HE IS GOING TO WIN OR NOT, OR AT LEAST BE READY TO GIVE HIS ALL.
    THEY GET ALL THE WATER THEY WANT DURING THIS LOCK UP.
    GALAXY

Post Thanks / Like
    Each one compliments one another that's why there is no comparison. When the cock is on cord, it makes him happy to view the whole world and acts and reacts to whatever he sees, be it a leaf falling down from a tree, a bird fying in the sky, other moving animals on the ground which maybe a threat to his existence. It is this exposure which makes him aware and gauge his distance from another object or another animal so that he will know what will be his reaction, fight , flight to any threat or show his strength to a beautiful nearby loose pullet or hen. This sense of awareness, depth of vision and gauge of distance is very important when he is already in the cockpit so that he will know when to throw his punches that could reach and damage his opponent.
    The fly pen enhances the wing strength, coordination of wing flaps and feet and also sense of balance in flight. It also strenghten the leg muscles from scratching and the leg joints during landing from flight.
    As BobWhite stated, they have both their places in any yard and there is no comparison.

thiago dfatboys

Talking

mas ok.yon nasa cord mas malagaan mong mabuti manok mo.....

peter pope

Re: Fly pen vs. cording

I prefer cording! Cord is cheaper than fly pen.

miron

most of the time they are corded ,you only need fly pen if your roosters will be in tournament. just my opinion

http://edwinoronce.multiply.com

1min.shuffle

just as what the other people said about cording and fly pens, ...both are essential during conditioning, but prior to the pre-keep, cording is more beneficial, economically.

Fowls also need mental conditioning, most people who handle fowls know this......rotation of fowls from one coop/pen/cord/scratch to another is essential. This is to avoid staleness (as per what the others mentioned) and would make the fowl sharper and more alert since new surroundings make them a bit more active. Just my opinion based on my personal observation.

Post Thanks / Like

for me the use of the flypen is to balance there feet and to fly high.just opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

both are very useful...

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use both and both is very useful and to have a well prepared cock you actually need both and also need a scratch pen. I like to use the fly pens in the evening during the condition peroids. Also in the fly pen I like to place the feeds up a little bit so they tend to use there wings more in the fly pen when it's time to eat and also they tend to be more relaxed and calm at night. During the early morning I like to put them in a scratch pen with corn husk and a little portion of crack corn so they could scratch for 30mins to an hour. Then comes the tie cord so they could get sunlight and my cords are about 5' feet so thats plenty enuff running space. I'll leave him on the tie cord for a few hours and sometimes most of the day so I could have him naturally condition himself. I also do other work outs but those 3(fly pens,tiecords, & scratch pen) are the main ones. Is a great big help in pre-condition and conditioning. Thats my opinion is to use all 3(fly pen, Tiecord, & scratch pen). It's like working out. Would you work on your upper body muscles and not your lower body muscles. you'll be way out of perportion.

Post Thanks / Like

If the question was for conditioning, use both. If for cording from stag until 2 or 3 y.o. cording is better if your area is big. but if you have smaller area, using a flypen can accomodate more chickens in your yard.

Post Thanks / Like

when you build a big fly pen as wide as the radius of the cord and grass will grow inside, for me fly pen will be much better than the cord but it'll be expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what works for you and what you presently have. either choice would be acceptable and would do no harm in the long run

Post Thanks / Like

fly pen's are for working and cording for grass the fly pen has no grass and also depending on what type fly pen they have them with 8,10 and 12 foot roost poles....

we have had those type of fly pens however we have tested and choose a fly pen with more detail as the bird has to fly vertical not horizontal-vertical...

if using cording area in my experiences i wouldn't use the last week of keep.....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

I like tie cords for every day, year round confinement... like Cigar said... you get grass! They also get a few insects and an occassional quickie ( I let a few hens run when I have string walk areas ). I also agree that Fly Pens are for the keep...