12Mg9BF.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cambodian Asil

Cambodian Asil Stag: 2.5 pounds
    3IKzbiC.jpg

4. Likes Resendiz74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Came from Cambodia to the States back during the war. Held by one family in North Carolina these past 40 years. I rec'd mine 2 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I like them Doc, nice head, good asil eye, wide back strong shanks , good spur set, correct beak

Post Thanks / Like

Doc what is the mature weight of those asils and are they used in the nature heel?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the pictures are so small. Don't know what I did wrong? Posted them on Asil club and they are much bigger.
    Cock is 3.5 pounds. They were used to cross on Americans.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doc, those guys look just like my Boles/Vietnamese crossed asil brood cocks.Have a 2yr. spangled son that is a 3/4 asil 1/4 american.Looks pure.He is sired by one cock out of a 1/2 daughter of the other.His american blood is sammy grey and gilmore hatch.He's a loud spangle like a morgan whitehackle.Just like his daddy and granpa, he walks proudley in the land of the giants.Sometimes I'll turn them out to get a little work out and they will take on 4 or more cornish/wyandott/barred rock/americana blended cocks pushing 8 to 10 pounds.The little guy want weigh over 4lbs soak and wet.Both brood cocks are in the 4-4 1/2 lb range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Sorry the pictures are so small. Don't know what I did wrong? Posted them on Asil club and they are much bigger.
    Cock is 3.5 pounds. They were used to cross on Americans.
    Hi Doc,

I tried to enlarge those 3 pictures you've posted but the quality deteriorate. So I just used those pictures you've posted in Asil Club and post them here for you.

Guys, here again are Doc's Cambodians. Doc, they are solid looking Asils. Beautiful birds!

Last edited by Engkanto; August 9th, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

11. Thanks doc thanked for this post
    Likes BLAKE V., Grillo, BrettNortje, c.turner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cambodian Asils and Vietnamese Asils are the same. Has anyone ever tried Cambodian/Vietnamese Asils in long heel in usa?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mou777 View Post
    Cambodian Asils and Vietnamese Asils are the same. Has anyone ever tried Cambodian/Vietnamese Asils in long heel in usa?
    i wouldn't say that... this cambodian asil looks like he got some reza asil blood in him (not sure they all look like this)... VN ga cua (spur asil) have more of the Sumatra look, more feathers, and used in the long gaffs (not as game as American Games, but does not lack cutting)... VN ga don (tape heel asil) are more of the Malays type.

GA CUA (pics from ganoi.com)

GA DON (pics from ganoi.com)

Last edited by newtogame2; August 9th, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

14. Thanks young gun thanked for this post
    Likes gaff, young gun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics Newtogame2. Did you import any Ga cua for breeding from Vietnam?

Post Thanks / Like

no, they are not mine... just pics from ganoi.com... there's not enough good ga cua blood in the US to mess around with.

Post Thanks / Like

New,
    The Ga Cua I rec'd some years back from Redbeard are quite nice. I think he said someone added Ga Don to them at some point. They were very highly inbred and I couldn't get many chicks to live so I added to them too: just no choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Also new,
    I never saw any birds like these Cambodian Asil the different times I was in Cambodia. Everything I saw was like Thai or Ga Don. However, these birds were said to be brought out 40 years ago during the war and a lot has changed in Cambodia during the last 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Eng for putting up larger pictures for me so that folks could actually see these nice little birds. doc

20. Likes Engkanto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New,
    The Ga Cua I rec'd some years back from Redbeard are quite nice. I think he said someone added Ga Don to them at some point. They were very highly inbred and I couldn't get many chicks to live so I added to them too: just no choice.
    yeah, Redbeard traded some fowls with a guy who goes by ThaiTuLungGu in ganoi.com... he's well known for his ga cua in VN... i believe the 2nd ga cua is his, looks fast... i like the 3rd one best though, look at those shanks, 9 timer in the gaffs, most were big money fights in Cambodia (i think they fight according to type though, gacua vs gacua, AG vs AG, grade vs grade... now if those 9 times were against AG then it would be extra special... not taking anything away form his opponents though, they all have to be multi-winners to be taken accross the border for big $ fights, and their owners are not amatuers either.

22. Thanks doc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also new,
    I never saw any birds like these Cambodian Asil the different times I was in Cambodia. Everything I saw was like Thai or Ga Don. However, these birds were said to be brought out 40 years ago during the war and a lot has changed in Cambodia during the last 40 years.
    it's possible the guy got a hold of some reza blood and bred it to his flocks before bringing them here... who knows... i don't think many Cambodian are into steel, most gaff fights are by Vietnamese crossing the border starting about 10 - 12 years ago (Vietnamese only started with gaffs in the 60s, so my theory is that some GI went off base for some R&R, attended some naked heel fights, then showed the locals how it's done in the US ... the old gaffs back then were called "cua cam", because they were spokes from a moped's wheel, bent and sharpened... the new ones still follow that method, take 1 piece of steel, bend it at one end to make a socket, and the other to make the blade.)

as for natural and taped heel, most pure reza asils are at a height disadvantage to thai and gadon, which normally are way bigger than reza asils anyway... that may be why all you see now are thai and gadon over there.
    Last edited by newtogame2; August 9th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

24. Thanks doc thanked for this post
    Likes doc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You made some excellent points in that last post: thank you. The information in the former post is also much appreciated.

All I know is that for the past 40 years these little birds have been called Cambodian Asil in the Carolinas; I'll continue to do the same.

One thing is for sure, they are as Asil in type as any other straight bred Asil I've ever seen in the States or in the countries of Pakistan and India (via internet). I've been all over the Middle East but have not yet been to Pakistan personally. I do hope to make that trip within the next couple of years or so.
    Last edited by doc; August 9th, 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cambodian Asil Stag: 2.5 pounds
    3IKzbiC.jpg
    Dang Doc, this could be mistaken as a pure Boles Red Asil...hehhe.. Very nice looking specimen.

27. Thanks doc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks filamex for the compliment. I think these are much smaller than what the Boles actually were though.

Post Thanks / Like

These little birds are pretty game.A couple of years ago a friend borrowed one of my Boles/Viet. brood cocks to cross on his Gilmore hens.His girl friend was cleaning nests out.She moved one that was covering up a hole in the wall between the Gilmores and the McClean YLs.Needless to say the little guy slipped through a hole the average game cock couldn't have gotten through.He never really had a name other than being called the spangle.After that day he is known as the Yellow Leg Hatch Killer (AKA) Killer.Strange thing is after killing the hatch cock,he covered his head up with dirt.Has anyone ever seen a cock do this before?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks filamex for the compliment. I think these are much smaller than what the Boles actually were though.
    They are smaller. The original 3 birds I purchased about 4yrs. ago,2 stags and 1 pullet were Boles/Viet. crosses. The pullet was bigger than the cocks,even after they were 2yrs. old. Lost the hen last year to predaters,she was a great mother. Their offspring matured anywhere from the high 3's to 7lbs. Even when crossed on American fowl they will throw the smaller sized birds.

Post Thanks / Like

What I love about these birds is,I don't have to have a sight barrier around their pens. When they are young they will hit the wire a little and skin their feet a little. Then they realize there's nothing good comming from hitting the wire. They will head fight through the wire. They like fooling a dumb young bird to stick his head through the wire and he's lucky to keep both eyes. They are very docile when handled,cocks are gentile with chicks and will actually feed them like a hen. One year I kept a 1 1/2 yr. stag in the same pens with the brood cocks and their hens. Everything was fine as long as the stags didn't bow up at them or try to ride any hens.When any this happened they got put in their place immediately. I finally separrated them because I wanted to not because I had to. I still have the 2 1/2 asil brothers penned next to each other without a sight barrier an also a father and son. Take them out of their pens and drop them,they try to kill each other. Put them back in the pen and they're content with being neighbors with just the wire between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this looking for something else and had to comment.
    Ole Johnny Mays told me about when he was over in Vietnam. He said he was in command of a Riverine Monitor, squadrone? Anyway from the pictures it was several of these good size vessels. He was a Master Chief Petty Officer so had some pull. When they were shipping out he had one of his guys take a butcher cock down into the "bowels" of the ship. He said the higher ups kept faintly hearing a rooster crow but could never find it hahahha. When they got to Vietnam that butcher became their mascot and on each mission they had the butcher went along. He said one of his boys was assigned the task of releasing that butcher cock on each little village they came to and entered on the river. I can still hear him laughing and telling me that butcher would hit the ground and run scr*w every hen in the village and then the sailor was tasked with catching him up and getting him back on the monitor hhahahahaha.
    So, all you fellas with this Vietnamese and Cambodian blood remember when someone asks you whats in em and you see a white streamer or two it could be some good ole Johnny Mays butcher blood floating around in there somewhere hahahahhaa

33. Thanks richardself thanked for this post
    Likes Crazy Eyes, DenDog liked this post