View Poll Results: If you had to choose 5 birds each from a different family and had to choose one point

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • High

7 6.48%
  • Medium

88 81.48%
  • Low

13 12.04%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Gaff point gave you the most wins, when legal?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Gaff point gave you the most wins, when legal?

2 5/8 skeletons med point on everything

Post Thanks / Like

Low point split sockets after they got below 2 3/8. Orr made good quality

3. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never put a low point gaff on one of my cocks. Dad use to and lost a lot when he did. They cut but don't kill like a higher point. Just my experience. Medium point with a little curve to it. 2 1/4 kill any cock that breaths.

5. Thanks Bama71 thanked for this post
    Likes gaff, Bama71, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Med Pt bayonet from Alan Ray DeathRay. The man had a point in the way birds stroke! He was not wrong and no they arent twisters. Now you have botanas ladeadas lol, por que? To go back towards the prop toe. AWR was right on point.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 23rd, 2020 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Med Pt bayonet from Alan Ray DeathRay. The man had a point in the way birds stroke! He was not wrong and no they arent twisters. Now you have botanas ladeadas lol, por que? To go back towards the prop toe. AWR was right on point.
    SF
    The Death Ray set in a very interesting subject. They were set very differently to a conventional gaff. Some loved them some hated them.

8. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    The Death Ray set in a very interesting subject. They were set very differently to a conventional gaff. Some loved them some hated them.
    The ones that hated em didnt understand the concept. All they had to do was tie em on. We sometimes foolishly fight change, even if it makes sense lol. And believe me I get it, I dont like change either but the prop toe always gets damaged and there s a reason for that. Conventional gaffs worked yes, but they went against the natural physics. That being said, I liked Nite Owl Specials but the best were the AR DR in my opinion. Cutting sobs, didnt get hung unless it hit bone and no broken legs unless the opposing cock was the culprit. I know people like to think its always the opposition that was reason for a broken leg but thats a negative.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 23rd, 2020 at 12:29 PM.

10. Likes richardself liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you want to put on a cutting shuffling bird with a good bit of power? And if you test in 1 1/4 spur are the great cutting ones going to cut as good with say 2 1/2 or so

Sent from my Z837VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Low medium high points..

bayonets, regulations, skeletons, jaegers... don’t this attribute to whether a certain style can or can’t cut...

I hear it doesn’t matter a true cutting cock will cut regardless but certain styles cut better with proper hardware.. and that I suppose is trial and error.

also are those collectibles for trade rare? Gotta be cause if I had a pair of fowl to let go I’d want more than 60-100$ collectible.

13. Likes Birdderfly, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Medium point dukes best I ever had and some half inch drop medium high point jaggers.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

15. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CA whitetoppy06 View Post
    Low medium high points..

bayonets, regulations, skeletons, jaegers... donít this attribute to whether a certain style can or canít cut...

I hear it doesnít matter a true cutting cock will cut regardless but certain styles cut better with proper hardware.. and that I suppose is trial and error.

also are those collectibles for trade rare? Gotta be cause if I had a pair of fowl to let go Iíd want more than 60-100$ collectible.
    Actually before my dumbass traded them off yeah. They weren't all super rare or anything and I didn't know enough about them at the time. But yeah a few pair were rare old and almost brand new looking lol I regret not keeping all of them now

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

1 1/4 to 1 3/4 regulation medium point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HomeCreek View Post
    1 1/4 to 1 3/4 regulation medium point.
    I started buying gaffs back in the early 70s. At that time Osborne from Texas made a decent gaff. He was the first one to make a socket knife. They were 2 piece, kinda crude but would really cut. He used the sockets off worn out gaffs.
    Alan Ray worked for Alvin Davis about 3 yrs. before Davis quit or died, I don't remember what happened. Davis made decent gaffs. The first gaffs I owned were Davis because they were about $15 cheaper than Burkeys. About $35. About this same time Burkey came out with the 74s and Davis soon copied them. They became popular with cockers very quick.
    One of the things I noticed was the average cocker showed dirty looking gaffs. By this I mean the metal didn't really shine. I know for sure the higher the shine, the slicker the gaff. The slicker it is, the easier it goes in and out. You get this shine with a soft cotton buffing wheel on a 6 in. grinder and red jeweler's rogue and a lot of repeated times polishing your gaffs. Besides it looks professional when you set your birds down in the pit. I serviced all my collectables last week and have no intention of using them. Another benefit of this intense polishing is it makes it much harder for rust to get started during storage. My gaffs look new except for the fuzzed up leathers from yrs of use.
    About 1980, I ordered a pr. of Burkey. I think they were called "The Derby". You could use them things for a crowbar. Too heavy. Never used them. Managed to trade them for a pr. of T.L. Orr High point 74 style 2 5/8. Didn't really like high points at the time but used them some on my biggest cocks and they were deadly. Still have them and if the occasion ever came about, would use them today. Mostly I used Burkey 75s 2 1/4 and an older pr. of Orr Jaggers 2 in. on stags. These are sweet for the young stags and bottom wt. cocks

19. Likes gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My morgans seemed to cut best with medium 2 1/2 to 2 5/8, dukes were fairly heavy. I also did well with the keen bayonet with about 1/2" rise, though more hanging and bone breaking. Didnt do alot of short heel, but used regs with good results. Different fowl cut different, is he pushing then pulling, straight cut, thanks to slow motion video, its easy to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Most dont think the long gaffs are good but if you have true cutting outside in reaching birds you can put what ever length you want I truly think my kearny white hackle could point a 5 inch gaff wish I had a pair I would try one