Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: W.t. Greene grey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: W.t. Greene grey

Thank you Mike, think some eggs got mixed up or didn't wait long enough to save eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    There is no one gene that make a Str8 comb...only PC and Rose, they both carry both dominant and recessive forms. It only take one dominate to make them either PC or Rose, Thus they can carry recessive (p) and recessive rose (r)..... str* combs came about when the two recessives were expressed (pprr). Two (pprr) can only produce (pprr) there is no dominant (P) or (R) if there was then they would be one of the two, but there is no grabbag of genes floating around to produce them. U can't inderit whats not there. P comb and Rose make a walnut come if both are present in the dominant form. ANything is not possible only mistakes or mutations. On yr hosrse thing I would say the App gene would have something to do with it. Chestnuts can be bred true if they both have red factors, but some chestnuts contain a black factor and still be cheatnut this different from fowl. If two chestnuts are bred that contain red and black factors there foals can be black factored and not be chestnut...U just have to know the genetics. Yr example doesnt work.
    Hi Mike, I always like reading your input and thanks for your input. I just know what I've seen an experienced. One more example. Last yr. I bred a strait comb hatch grey cock over strait comb YL McClean hatch hen and got a pea comb grey stag. I didn't raise the hen but did breed the cock and know he has a 1/4 asil and 1/16 Gilmore. Regardless of what suppose to happen the pea comb gene came through and there wasn't a mistake made. When I cross a pea comb an a rose comb in my layers I will get a walnut or cushion maybe 1or 2 out of 10. I mostly get flat rose that looks like the bird has been dubbed with a little tail, flat, smooth, no spikes, even on the cocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    Hi Mike, I always like reading your input and thanks for your input. I just know what I've seen an experienced. One more example. Last yr. I bred a strait comb hatch grey cock over strait comb YL McClean hatch hen and got a pea comb grey stag. I didn't raise the hen but did breed the cock and know he has a 1/4 asil and 1/16 Gilmore. Regardless of what suppose to happen the pea comb gene came through and there wasn't a mistake made. When I cross a pea comb an a rose comb in my layers I will get a walnut or cushion maybe 1or 2 out of 10. I mostly get flat rose that looks like the bird has been dubbed with a little tail, flat, smooth, no spikes, even on the cocks.
    Well i'm going to stop beating a dead horse......sorry I just don't believe U. Even though u might belileve it. It can't happen, try repeating it and see.

4. Likes roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Well i'm going to stop beating a dead horse......sorry I just don't believe U. Even though u might belileve it. It can't happen, try repeating it and see.
    Hey do you guys remember the sienfeld episode about the soup nazi......lol.......no soup for you........." https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7WRxEY8o3kc. ......love your posts and information mike just having a little fun! Yfis Blake

NO COMB TYPE FOR YOU!!!!!!
    Last edited by BLAKE V.; May 22nd, 2015 at 10:24 PM.

6. Likes Mike Everett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've been breeding SC type fowl for over 40 years and have never seen a PC come out of two SC fowl when bred together. They have been more than one bloodline too.One time we bred SC cock to a PC hen for 5 straight years and ALL the offspring come PC. We took a PC cock out of this mating and bred to his PC sister and out popped one SC rooster and the rest of the clutch were all PC. It showed up because both sides had some SC gene on it. Now I firmly believe if I had gotten one more SC sister and bred the SC to the SC they would of all been SC. Just what happened on my yard thru the years......Yfis

8. Likes gaff, Mike Everett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking today about what cocks and hens I'd like to see offspring from and happened to think of a family I got from a friend. It consists of a Cuban Dom cock and 2 daughters out of a Reg. Greg hen. Both cock and hen were strait combed, one daughter strait combed the other pea. I got a stag from the same pair the yr. before that was also pea combed. Also I took a strait combed Pinnon Hatch hen and bred her to a friend's strait combed Witchdoctor cock and got a pea combed black pullet.

Post Thanks / Like

11. Thanks small block thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Regular Grey....

The Regular Greys were created from "An O'Connor cock 3/4 Mansell Pyle-Joe Gilman Grey, 1/4 Herrisford yellow Birchen was bred in 1928 over three hens called Dean Greys. Hank Dean had bred a Grey Claret cock over a Herrisford Brown Red Black and Tan hen, to produce them. (other Greys of Dean's were bred differently). Out of 23 stags from the first mating 8 came Brown Red in color. Those that came Grey were named Regular Grey by Madigan and Dean.

13. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes silver2dmoon, velozcoyote liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think allot of folks get pea comb and straight comb hens mixed up. My lacys the hens look like a straight comb in shape but there not tall and do not go back on the head. They look like a 8 week old straight comb roosters comb. But two straights wont make a pea. The greys that I have ever seen from WT green have always been dark legged straight combs.

15. Thanks Mike Everett thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Furyanface@ View Post
    Sir mine looks like him.but pea
    They come true straight comb like the picture shows past the eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    I think allot of folks get pea comb and straight comb hens mixed up. My lacys the hens look like a straight comb in shape but there not tall and do not go back on the head. They look like a 8 week old straight comb roosters comb. But two straights wont make a pea. The greys that I have ever seen from WT green have always been dark legged straight combs.
    l do agree that some hens are hard to tell. Just this morning I just noticed that a yl McClean that I loaned my nephew was pea combed, always thought she was strait. That's not the case with these . l saw the Reg. Grey hen with the chicks with the cock in the pen. Both parents are definitely strait combed, one pullet strait the other pea. The pea is like an Asil pea comb. Their older brother had a floppy pea comb like most Roundheads that I've seen. As for the Pinnon hen, she has the classic strait comb a 2 inches high with 1/2-3/4" spikes and the WD cock is strait. The pea combed pullet is out of the pen now and the strait combed pullet is left with her father. She has 4 eggs right now. The out come will be interesting an I will surely let you all know the out come.

Post Thanks / Like

LCockman & Mike you may as well save your breath.I don't know why some people do not want to listen to the truth about fowl.If you have a pea combed grey that you like breed him and don't worry about what he is called.He is not a straight W.T. Green grey but who cares if you like him.As far as Pennyhatch3303 saying that Tommy Green said that the straight W.T. Green Greys can come Pea Combed is complete bullchit.

19. Likes silver2dmoon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys I would like to apologize for singling one name out for some misinformation.I was wrong to do so.What I can state with the upmost certainty is that Tommy Greene has never said that the straight W.T.Green greys can come pea combed because they do not exist.Sorry for any bad feelings.R.Bennett.

21. Likes silver2dmoon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ok I guess I spoke to another tommy green im not going to lie about what he said to me and why would I miss led people

Post Thanks / Like

Look if you guys are going to get all butt hurt about a bird going peacomb or not you guys need a day job butsince you breading for so long I'll take your word on it you know why because it's not that big of a freaking deal so God bless I guess I can say that and get pissed if you want I really don't care

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Whitehacle, you got some nice looking WT Greene Grey. I got mine from WT Greene back when he was 96 years old.
    I would love to get in touch with you and exchange stories about our WT Greene Greys. I'll drop you a PM and give you my cell number.
    I was just there on WT's yard a few days ago as I paid a visit to his daughter and took some pictures of the yard and some feathers
    Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy Mr. Bennett ! Happy New Year ! A chicken man who have been with chickens long enough would know that a pair of Straight Comb birds will never throw a peacomb. I guess Tommy G. don't have to be educated on that since he has been with chickens almost all his life. By the way, I was in North Carolina just before the new year and paid a visit to Elm City, home of the great Sweater Greys and Sweater Blueface. I didnt' have enough time to pay you a visit.... but I hope when the time comes... that I will be welcome to your yard Best. Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Silver2dmoon does Mr. Greens daughter still raise the greys and blueface gamefowl

Post Thanks / Like

You can't get a pea combed offspring from a straight combed cock and hen .

Post Thanks / Like

silver2dmoon you are always welcome on my yards.I know it has been a while since we last spoke but I have always enjoyed our conversations and consider you a friend among the gamefowl fraternity.Please feel free to contact me anytime,especially on your next trip close by.My number is still 910-890-2552.Call me and we can talk about those pea combed W.T.Greene greys.LOL,your friend,Robert Bennett.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Buddy that has some and they are bad news !

Post Thanks / Like

R. Bennett what families of fowl do you raise if u don't mind me asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sig1911 View Post
    Regular Grey....

The Regular Greys were created from "An O'Connor cock 3/4 Mansell Pyle-Joe Gilman Grey, 1/4 Herrisford yellow Birchen was bred in 1928 over three hens called Dean Greys. Hank Dean had bred a Grey Claret cock over a Herrisford Brown Red Black and Tan hen, to produce them. (other Greys of Dean's were bred differently). Out of 23 stags from the first mating 8 came Brown Red in color. Those that came Grey were named Regular Grey by Madigan and Dean.
    I know it's been a 100 years, but according to this can it be possible to get a black grey looking rooster out of these greys . Or hen lol ... ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White hackle View Post
    If you are referring to Tommy Greene he never said such a thing . I wouldnt even of brought this up if I was not so against people being mis led with families of fowl alot of time work and money goes in to raising these birds and everyone should be able to start on an honest footing authentic William T greene greys do not ever come pea comb only straight . yis Tommy # 516 457 9280 The only way to preserve these fowl is to start off with authentic families
    Is this still a reliable number to contact about getting some brood fowl?

Post Thanks / Like

Well the truth is that now days nothing is really pure anymore unless u meet some very very old breeder Evan if so he still had to freshen up the line with new blood or they be too inbred

steel city

When I was younger my dad and grandfather had a family of sweater greys aka wt green greys and never ever ever got a pea head out of any of them ever and my uncle also had a family of the greys that he went directly to North Carolina and picked up from wt farm and he bred them for yrs and yrs and never got a pea head So I would have to say if u get a pea head wt green grey then he ain't pure wt green he got something else in him
    Last edited by steel city; November 9th, 2016 at 06:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They are only straight comb no pea what so ever have had them for 8 years from paul carker out of moorsville that got them from wt greene havent yet to see a pea comb

Post Thanks / Like

All mine are straight comb and small body they are inbred heavy but they cross great with just about anything

38. Likes Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

W.T and a grey cock

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

40. Thanks CA whitetoppy06 thanked for this post
    Likes CA whitetoppy06, Thunderbirds liked this post