Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What pit holds your fondest memories?

JLF

What pit holds your fondest memories?

Me and my dad fought roosters all over the eastern part of Oklahoma back in the legal days and of all the pits we went to I have two that most all my memories are from! One being a lil ole Friday night pit in briartown and the other being Fonzo Bills pit in monroe Ok. I remember those sleepless nights as a child anticipating these Friday night and Saturday derbies. I can't think of a more special childhood than being raised on a rooster farm.

2. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What pit holds your fondest memories?

The first one under the orange trees. My friends won with birds that I breed. It was a magic moment for me.

4. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it was the old Erenburg pit as a teenager and the wapanucka in Oklahoma.

6. Thanks BamaOkie thanked for this post
    Likes Randymj19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good memories of Chickasha and Blanchard in Oklahoma as a kid my dad showed there a lot.

8. Thanks BamaOkie thanked for this post
    Likes Smoman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The old pit called "Jamerson" first derby win

Post Thanks / Like

Blanchard Oklahoma 3c $60 entry every Friday night! We were young and WILD and FREE! LOL! Thanks for the Flash back!!!

11. Likes CA whitetoppy06, laguardia, Smoman, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mother says the first pit i ever went to was Blanchard in her arms as a baby.

13. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    JLF

I was jus mentioning to my ol lady las night that if it were 15 years ago we would be headed to briartown for one of those $40 dollar 4 cocks lol

15. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longheel View Post
    For me it was the old Erenburg pit as a teenager and the wapanucka in Oklahoma.
    Big wapanucka or Little wapanucka

17. Likes Randymj19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cripple creek its the first one i went to as a kid it was in ok i dont remember the town i was just a kid but it was 45 min from bridgeport tx thats were my uncle lived and he took me for the first time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by softtoss View Post
    Big wapanucka or Little wapanucka
    They was only one Whappy when I left Oklahoma in 1987.

20. Likes Randymj19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Del rio. Aka the hard ground. Saw the best roosters in the world fought there. Some of the names you all might remember. Red fox ,bull run ,big red,Goode bros,Cecil Davis,Cantrell brothers and them grays. Heinz 57 with sonny ware to name a few. Harold brown said one time no better cocks were fought any where in the world. And damn them gray cocks of the Cantrell brothers where great. Cecil Davis once said in his life time of showing roosters all over the world he only saw one family of super chickens and it was the grays of joe and dales. That's saying a lot when he saw the likes of mr. Kelso and his famous fowl. Great thread brings back a ton of special memories. Thanks for starting this one.

22. Likes RLaurent14, ronole morris, knox01, gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Chesapeake Club near Doswell, Virginia. I attended quite a few short heel events there as well as a few Claymore tournaments. Great memories of that place.

Post Thanks / Like

Vina Alabama was hard to beat.Granville Hester ran that old pit with an Iron Fist.All the legends came there at some point in their career.On any given Saturday you could see Jumper,Mcrae,Carl Davis,Cecil Davis,George Wood,Shorty Bullock,John Moore,Dee Cox,Roy Brady and on and on.RCR

JLF

I remember the first time I seen mid america though.. words can't describe that place

Post Thanks / Like

Piney woods for me. First one I ever went to. Cpl years behind you guys and didn't see the real good chicken days.

27. Likes GalloNX4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only knew of one , I would leve Lawton Friday night and we would go to wapanucka on a Saturday night. We would go to other pits as well but I liked wapanucka .

29. Likes Randymj19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

backwoods for me up near n.c. tn. line but since you're being so vague about it and no i didn't visit ok. or many from that area. i'd have to say over towards dayton mountain in tn. for me and mine.

https://youtu.be/UDQOcRNFod0

lil video for you as well if it shows up.

31. Likes trappersteve, roostercm, knox01, gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ahhh man remembering the nights a marion roses pit this was when logan county was tough and boone county entry.boone county one year went 47 and 3 at marions and at a big pit in east ky i was young,dumb and full of !#@ those were good times and care free

33. Likes Mt._State liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    They was only one Whappy when I left Oklahoma in 1987.
    They was one in the old school coming in to whappy . I can't remember the guys last name but his first name was Marvin. Its was a nice pit concrete & air conditioning, i fought there alot had some big money derbys. Marvin also owned a store downtown . It was on the right coming into whappy from Durant.

Post Thanks / Like

12 yrs old and old man Buck Hanna would take me with him to Broken Bow (Red Arrow) pit that was being run by the Manning family. Lots of great roosters and classy old timers with plenty of stories to tell. Not to mention Manning's pretty little daughters. LOL

36. Likes Randymj19, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The old Flat Woods in NW AL. Bob and his dad great people. Usually small derbies with some new guys, you could fight off your old cocks, damaged cocks, new crosses, and inbred brood fowl. More laid back than Clear Creek, Pumpkin Valley, or Munford. We would go either early or late in year to cull what we weren't going to use in better derbies. Knew everyone, helped one another and didn't have to worry about crooks.

38. Likes RLaurent14, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They was one in the old school coming in to whappy . I can't remember the guys last name but his first name was Marvin. Its was a nice pit concrete & air conditioning, i fought there alot had some big money derbys. Marvin also owned a store downtown . It was on the right coming into whappy from Durant.

Yes I remember Marvin ran it. All I recall was a brown metal building. Inside was nice main pit and all bleachers but drags was on small side. We won Christmas derby there in 1985 using whole show Greys. We did not go there much it was long drive back then to many closer places.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I remember Marvin ran it. All I recall was a brown metal building. Inside was nice main pit and all bleachers but drags was on small side. We won Christmas derby there in 1985 using whole show Greys. We did not go there much it was long drive back then to many closer places.
    Wayne Skaggs the gaff & knife maker ran little Whappy they fought at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne Skaggs the gaff & knife maker ran little Whappy they fought at night.
    What was one on Washataw river off I-35 lil north or south Pauls Valley?

Post Thanks / Like

I remember one back in the day ,nothing but on ol shed but some of the best rooster's in this part of the country was set down in it . had a sign over the door said little brownville's.

Post Thanks / Like

the small ones where the best. man the old timers to talk with lol blondie,wendall,perry i miss those days no crooks no worries good people good chickens not knocking the big pits at all they are great but the small places where like family reunion

44. Likes turbo_harpoon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What was one on Washataw river off I-35 lil north or south Pauls Valley?
    That was the pit Earl & his wife ran & had a daughter named Tuesday. After it got flooded, he opened Earl's in Durant. Can't remember the name of it but they got a lot of entries . That damm pit was right on the river .

Post Thanks / Like

That's easy the old Franklin pit in Virginia in attending The Claymore and The Barnes and with this created an atmosphere a certain aire about cockfighting that will always remind me of what is right about this great sport instead of being blamed with the injustice of society in general, the blame placed on this sport is laughable and as you all know what the politicians have allowed special interest to do was very illegal.
    Here's something that really got me heading in the right direction with roosters years ago was sorting out BS from knowledge, now had I stayed in the chicken business I would have never told anything I knew for it took years until all the pieces were in place for me to UNDERSTAND that I needed to know to have success and like all my brothers and sisters in this great sport everyone always starts out the same looking for that great cross that cock and hen that produces a SUPER CHICKEN and looking in that direction I found some really super individuals but until you have a system in place and a plan that works this sport is just pissin' on your leg because you're going sideways you're not gaining anything until you get direction. Finally like I've mentioned a zillion times, pick you out somebody at the pit that is very consistent, can get behind and comes back to win on a regular basis become their new best friend because that's the one that can help you and don't be an idiot and challenge them to a main after picking up the slightest bit of information just bite your tongue and keep learning and in closing what you're always looking for is the phrase I coined Well Rested, Relaxed and Satisfied, BRK

47. Likes danitor, trappersteve, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great thread guys.What I would give to see them days at Del Rio again.I agree with Samcrow14,they didn't call Del Rio the [hard ground] for nothing.And for all the famous entry's mentioned they were at least 10 to each one of them that was as tough if not tougher that just never had the opportunity to show on the major circuit.I will never forget Harold Brown telling a so called big timer at Sunset that was bragging on his fowl,[Take um to Del Rio and test um agin them mountain roosters and then tell me about um].The guy got real quiet as Harold was tired of his bragging.So many smalltimers that could have been legends of the sport that just never caught a break.Everyone got their education at some of these local pits mentioned on this thread before trying the Big Time.Great Thread.YFIS,Ronole.....