Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What pit holds your fondest memories?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What pit holds your fondest memories?

Danville Virginia,,, its where i first seen how really good roosters performed.

2. Likes gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Friday night 3 cock derbies at the gautreau pit or 24 club in sulphur la. That was a good time, most people there would fight for a candy bar. And Saturday derbies at d&d pit in Starks la.

4. Likes BamaOkie, LaBlue, Brettjern liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would have to say sunset, Cajun classic.....first and only time. Saw and met some of the best of the best there. Slick lizard won that year in straight fights if I remember correct. Watched roger R win a 2 hour drag fight after he was knocked down early in the main pit. Also went to a small pit called the m&m club? all postizas....first time I ever seen postizas. supposed to go to another pit but heard it burned down. great food, good people, lots of fun.

6. Likes river city reds, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good post on this tread. I was at Silver Heels Game Club in Boswell Oklahoma one Saturday when a Norther had blew in and it was cold cold to cold. They had a old propane tank made into a wood heater, it was standing room only around that heater. Seems like the place was packed that day but around that heater is was double packed.

8. Likes JLF2.0 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its that time of year again..

10. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was introduced to gamefowl by my best friend and his uncle who raised him. I was about 10 years old, I watered his fowl after school every day for $20 a week ( good money to me, lol ). I would stay with my friend and we would leave not long after midnight in a pickup and head to Del Rio ( Hard Ground ). We'd stop at a truck stop like cafe not far away. There was nothing in the world that caught my attention like what I saw. They moved away but when I was old enough to drive I would go from SC to TN and watch every chance I could. I saw a lot of good rooster men there. I met Bob Rogers there by watching his show. I met Ranole Morris there by watching him and later got to go in the cockhouse at Sunset and learn a little from Ranole. I haven't seen as many derbies and matches as anyone in this thread but I've been to quite a few outs and don't think I've ever saw the level of competition as Del Rio had. I'll never forget that bldg on the side of a hill up a gravel road as long as I live. Really some of the best times of my life and I was just a spectator.

12. Likes gapman, river city reds, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another year winding down...

Post Thanks / Like

Jay this is a good thread. It always brings back great memories. I've been going to the fights since I was 7-8. My first one was at Moella,OR. I went to several others out there but to young to remember. We moved to GA and I went with dad to several there. Then we moved to LA and I remember going to Caushatta, Courtney's old pit. Several others I don't remember the name of. Then my first derby win up at the old Bolan pit in Ark. I was an old man of 12 years old. Conditioned and pitted my first show. 5 cock win it alone. Then the old Canfield pit. Then Bob Howard's old pit around Mangum LA. Been to many I just can't recall the name of. Cypress Creek of Mac Richardson. Win some good ones there. Over to N. Louisiana. Sportsman Club where we won COTY a couple times. Jawbone, Big Boy, I-20, Grasshopper hill, Serepta, The 24 Club, Circle Club, Bayou, Sunset, MilkDairy, Jameson Creek, Glaze Creek, Laran, Indian Creek, Red Arrow, Sallisaw, Mid America, good grief probably 10-15 more. Thanks for starting this thread. I surely had a time. Any y'all remember some of those?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Jay this is a good thread. It always brings back great memories. I've been going to the fights since I was 7-8. My first one was at Moella,OR. I went to several others out there but to young to remember. We moved to GA and I went with dad to several there. Then we moved to LA and I remember going to Caushatta, Courtney's old pit. Several others I don't remember the name of. Then my first derby win up at the old Bolan pit in Ark. I was an old man of 12 years old. Conditioned and pitted my first show. 5 cock win it alone. Then the old Canfield pit. Then Bob Howard's old pit around Mangum LA. Been to many I just can't recall the name of. Cypress Creek of Mac Richardson. Win some good ones there. Over to N. Louisiana. Sportsman Club where we won COTY a couple times. Jawbone, Big Boy, I-20, Grasshopper hill, Serepta, The 24 Club, Circle Club, Bayou, Sunset, MilkDairy, Jameson Creek, Glaze Creek, Laran, Indian Creek, Red Arrow, Sallisaw, Mid America, good grief probably 10-15 more. Thanks for starting this thread. I surely had a time. Any y'all remember some of those?
    We spend 90% of our time in the yard but the pits is where the action was at.... Special is an understatement

Post Thanks / Like

I remember fonzos and briar town. I fought my 1st derby at briar town. I won my 1st one with a roundhead whitehackle and was winning my 2nd fight but I dropped my bird to fast and got disqualified lol
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    Me and my dad fought roosters all over the eastern part of Oklahoma back in the legal days and of all the pits we went to I have two that most all my memories are from! One being a lil ole Friday night pit in briartown and the other being Fonzo Bills pit in monroe Ok. I remember those sleepless nights as a child anticipating these Friday night and Saturday derbies. I can't think of a more special childhood than being raised on a rooster farm.
    Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I remember at the Blanchard pit the ref would always say it's in his little head lol. That memory is there forever lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by greyroosterman View Post
    Good memories of Chickasha and Blanchard in Oklahoma as a kid my dad showed there a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be 65 years young in August and I went to my first pit when I was 3 months old. Been doing this all of my life and can't start to name all of the pits I've been to. This is a great thread because it puts you back there where you long to be

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19. Likes CIGAR, LaBlue, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kcndn View Post
    I remember at the Blanchard pit the ref would always say it's in his little head lol. That memory is there forever lol.

I remember that guy. He also refed at Broxton.

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahahaha it's in his little wing . That's awesome. Good memories
    Quote Originally Posted by okiejaco View Post
    I remember that guy. He also refed at Broxton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kcndn View Post
    I remember fonzos and briar town. I fought my 1st derby at briar town. I won my 1st one with a roundhead whitehackle and was winning my 2nd fight but I dropped my bird to fast and got disqualified lol

Yea I cut my teeth at those 2 pits...

Post Thanks / Like

Fonzos was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF2.0 View Post
    Yea I cut my teeth at those 2 pits...

Post Thanks / Like

I think down in Brockwell was the first pit I ever went to, in the early 80s. Ewell Everett was the guy I remember the most. Him and my granddad were buddies. He gave me a pair of black chickens, my grandpa raised a few out of them and he'd hack them off whenever I could be there for it.

I was just a lil ole biddy ****. Everyone had time for you when you were 2 1\2-3 1\2 foot tall, you got much bigger than that and you were kind of annoying I guess. I don't remember who she was but some woman with great tig ole biddies used to have me sit on her lap later into the evening during the derby. Life was good, pillows were soft. I haven't ever had it that good at a pit since. Someone raising and feeding my birds, they usually won and I had a woman taking care of my every need. I got to sit up til midnight or later. I was stupid for wanting to grow up. I had it good there boys.

25. Likes matt59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a senior in high school me and Dad raised some hatch greys and took them to SPRINGBROOK won 5 straight first big derby we ever won felt like I was on top of the world

Post Thanks / Like

Nicest pit: Red river thsckerville Oklahoma
    Best food: bayou
    Best roosters: texoma

I can't remember if my first pit was earls or 3 states, I was 13ish I think?