Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Insights and tips on BREEDING a CLOSED FAMILY of gamefowl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Insights and tips on BREEDING a CLOSED FAMILY of gamefowl

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Spring’s Kelso as I’ve gathered in this site come red, spangled(see his avatar), straight combed, yellow legs, and he just said they are about 4.8 - 4.12 kg, good knife birds. Is your avatar a pic of your straight Kelso? Thanks

Just cause they look the same or have the same name dont mean they perform the same.

Yeah, sure. Totally agree with that. Spring’s Kelso surely looks so different than yours as well as possibly with performance. But the question was, do you keep yours straight in a similar breeding strategy as Spring’s? I think yours come dark reds, with white legs, PC & SC, right? In what show are they best for in their pure form, if you don’t mind my asking.
    Your correct. Initially our old Kelso blood won best in the LK, second sk..... now they have been bred for over 20 yearsto excel in the longheel. They probably are too reckless for the blade but they still hit first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Your correct. Initially our old Kelso blood won best in the LK, second sk..... now they have been bred for over 20 yearsto excel in the longheel. They probably are too reckless for the blade but they still hit first.
    Is it breeding techniques that made them excellent in the longheel, from being excellent knife birds initially? Some breeders infuse some other game bloodlines and I’m just wondering if you or your Dad did the same thing. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Is it breeding techniques that made them excellent in the longheel, from being excellent knife birds initially? Some breeders infuse some other game bloodlines and I’m just wondering if you or your Dad did the same thing. Thanks
    We bred to fast winners. They basically changed their style. We still have a very few that are of the “old blood”. Ive infused a little whitehackle into mine.

4. Thanks FILAMEX thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion gentlemen, best one I've read in years here on this site. Allow me to add my few cents, In the end it is the decision of the breeder when to stop and say "goal met" and maintaining that blend that you've created is another part. My question is, if you are satisfied with say a 3/4 x 1/4 mating, how would you keep / maintain that line or blend? I have a Broodcock, a 3/4x1/4, that gave me 9W-1L one year and 6-0 the next year, we used different hens each year. I lost the parents of this broodcock, have turned her sisters into chicken stew, how would I replicate him or at least blend one like him? Thank you for your inputs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nortacs View Post
    Interesting discussion gentlemen, best one I've read in years here on this site. Allow me to add my few cents, In the end it is the decision of the breeder when to stop and say "goal met" and maintaining that blend that you've created is another part. My question is, if you are satisfied with say a 3/4 x 1/4 mating, how would you keep / maintain that line or blend? I have a Broodcock, a 3/4x1/4, that gave me 9W-1L one year and 6-0 the next year, we used different hens each year. I lost the parents of this broodcock, have turned her sisters into chicken stew, how would I replicate him or at least blend one like him? Thank you for your inputs.
    Nothing to lose. You might hit gold as well like springwater.

$$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by FILAMEX
    Hello y’all...anybody here ever tried line breeding to a special, or outstanding cock or hen up to 15/16 or 31/32 of their blood, with success? Success is achieving the goals(whatever they are) of the breeder. Seems like the norm is to breed back to uncles, and aunts with more pens to do this way of breeding. Thanks

I did. I got a tremendous crossed cock from Hubert one year. Hubert thought he was 3/4 kelso 1/4 Oscar's hatch but was not 100% sure if it was Ocar's blood or not. Fought him several times in major derbies. Last time I fought him, he had a tendon cut in his leg and had a limp. He was too good to just cull or leave in a pen by himself, so I decided to breed him. Line bred to him every year all the way to 64th. His sons seemed to get better every generation until finally he wouldn't fertilize eggs any longer and arthritis set in on his bad leg where he could barely tread a hen. No telling how many derbies his sons won. Matter of fact his sons won the biggest prize I ever hit and pretty much paid for the entire farm when I moved to Louisiana. I always wish now I would have set his line as a family to themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like that 3/4-1/4 Broodcock of yours is a “Prepotent” individual, just like how I see Springwater’s 3/4-1/4 Broodcock. In your case, I would try to keep on breeding him to his best daughters (whose brothers you like as well), from at least three hens, then daughters to his daughters, and see if he can continue to produce good offsprings, like Springwater’s BC. You can then criss-cross his offsprings at 7/8, 15/16, etc...., of course if they pass your standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like that 3/4-1/4 Broodcock of yours is a “Prepotent” individual, just like how I see Springwater’s 3/4-1/4 Broodcock. In your case, I would try to keep on breeding him to his best daughters (whose brothers you like as well), from at least three hens, then daughters to his daughters, and see if he can continue to produce good offsprings, like Springwater’s BC. You can then criss-cross his offsprings at 7/8, 15/16, etc...., of course if they pass your standards.
    that would be the way to go sir, your inputs and the rest of the gentlemen in this thread made my decision easier for me. I'm now tracing the sisters to the stags of the first and second mating, and breed them back to him, but I will be tracing the hen that will produce the winners hoping to keep more of his kind. thank you so much and stay safe!

Post Thanks / Like

The grandsons that are 3/4 his blood will produce more of his traits. Also a more predictable mating for his traits would be his daughters and grand daughters. Also if outside blood is involved in the matings, mate your broodpen so the cock's blood is on both sides of the mating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    The grandsons that are 3/4 his blood will produce more of his traits. Also a more predictable mating for his traits would be his daughters and grand daughters. Also if outside blood is involved in the matings, mate your broodpen so the cock's blood is on both sides of the mating.
    Hello Bill, would it only be the grandsons that are 3/4 the broodcocks blood that will produce more of his traits? How about grandsons that are 7/8 his blood? Was thinking they would produce more of the “old mans” traits. My experience with a broodcock that I experimented with is that, his daughters that have 3/4 of his blood showed more of his phenotype traits. I was only able to breed him to one of his 3/4 daughters, and he passed on(dead). The 7/8’s offsprings though are looking more like him(the old man).

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Bill, would it only be the grandsons that are 3/4 the broodcocks blood that will produce more of his traits? How about grandsons that are 7/8 his blood? Was thinking they would produce more of the “old mans” traits. My experience with a broodcock that I experimented with is that, his daughters that have 3/4 of his blood showed more of his phenotype traits. I was only able to breed him to one of his 3/4 daughters, and he passed on(dead). The 7/8’s offsprings though are looking more like him(the old man).
    Hello sirs FILAMEX and RHMan1026, I will be breeding the 3/4 back to his daughter this year, a limited number only because of this virus that halted the stag fights in the Phils. Will be on the lookout for his replacement then in this F2 generation? Or breed back again to his daughter?
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello sirs FILAMEX and RHMan1026, I will be breeding the 3/4 back to his daughter this year, a limited number only because of this virus that halted the stag fights in the Phils. Will be on the lookout for his replacement then in this F2 generation? Or breed back again to his daughter?
    Thank you.
    IF you can breed him to selected 3 of his daughters from three different hens, you will have more 3/4’s to pick from. Going to 7/8 his blood would depend on how you assess and evaluate the 3/4’s. Then going to 15/16 his blood depends on the 7/8’s. Just make sure to keep your broodcock healthy to go the distance.

Post Thanks / Like

IF you can breed him to selected 3 of his daughters from three different hens, you will have more 3/4’s to pick from. Going to 7/8 his blood would depend on how you assess and evaluate the 3/4’s. Then going to 15/16 his blood depends on the 7/8’s. Just make sure to keep your broodcock healthy to go the distance.
    Thank you, I will try to look for her daughters I hope we didn't turn them into chicken stew I will be breeding back to him as long as he is able to, but I will be selecting a back up in case something happens. We have this funny thing in the yard where a cock or hen will die of mysterious reasons if we pay much attention or talk about them too much...hehehe