Thread: conditioning from tie cord

Post Thanks / Like

conditioning from tie cord

this time of year i sometimes have roosters that have won a blue ribbon or 2. they are in real good shape and have been through keeps before so their mental conditioning is good. late in the year, where i live, it gets in the mid-90's. it stresses a rooster to touch him and move him. my tie cords are in a real shady area. the roosters are not under stress. sometimes i will point them, just as i normally do, right on the cord. pick them up friday morning, and show them saturday. do this with great success. try it.
    jc

2. Thanks nem76, Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: conditioning from tie cord

Agreed:::::::::::::::::::;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Well it gets hot as heck here too. But I wouldn't leave a cock access to grass the last three days. Just my opinion. As long as you have fly pens with no direct sun you should be fine. Lots of folks will pull cocks that have been through it a few times off the barrel the last few days to point them. Don't get me wrong a ace cock will kill a rooster about anytime no matter what, even with feed in him. Great roosters just have that ability. Ive always told my son with Aces it don't matter if you tie a 8 penny nail on them there gonna kill them a rooster. If it works for you that's wonderful.

5. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW, brings back memories. Back in the 80's & 90's all I bred was Bruner RHs, straight
    & crossed on Hatch. I did not have any fly-pens or keep stalls. I had 100 round pens, for stags, 50 tee-pees & 20- 4'x8'x4'H multi-purpose pens, ~ 12 were used as single mate brood pens.

I would select ~ 8 cocks from the strings, 2 weeks before a show. Move them into the 4x8x4 pens with a hen & fed the same feed as always on the ground. They were moved back & forth to the string every other day. On Wed. before a Saturday Derby, the hens were moved out to a round pen next to the 4x8x4, and the cocks were fed in feed cups
    the last 3 days. Ration was cut in 1/2 for the Friday eve meal & water removed 1 hr. later. Sat morning would fill water cups, any that would drink more than 1 or 2 dips or had feed in crop stayed home. Loaded show in 1- 6 stall carrying case & hens in another one. Arriving at show they would be dropped out every hr to monitor droppings & put up
    after turning in weights. After heeling they would be set in drop pen next to their hen for a few minutes & go. Had 60-80% W & 4-6 Derby trophies year after year.

That system worked on my Bruner's, but did not work for everybody.

Keep them Crowing

YFIS,

yunke8888
    Last edited by Yunke8888; August 2nd, 2015 at 09:12 AM.

7. Likes Liberty Hill, KevinG, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary Gilliam won his fair share similar to this I’m told. He hated Fly Pens. Charles Greer also fed off of cords and didn’t own a fly pen. He won the the Hawaiian at the Bayou club this way against the best feeders and roosters in the world.
    Last edited by Thompson; June 12th, 2018 at 09:33 PM.

9. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I swear and live by the Tie Cords. They are a major part of my rotation, along with the grass that they scratch on. During my keep I feed the Morning feed on the ground, so they can scratch it out. I take very good care of my yard/grass, we fertilize and water to keep it very thick and rich. I use my Cock house and tie cords as part of the rotation but for the most part I depend on my Cords quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I have told some this before but I will tell it again. When I lived in Texas, I conditioned mainly from Tie Cord. When I moved to Louisiana, I had a really nice barn built with 30 fly pens in it. My winning percentage went down. The kelso blood I have stay too active if left in fly pens very long. The would get tight and sore as they would continually fly up and down and scratch. I found they did better if I just used the flypens for an hour or so a day and let them be on Tie cords or jump stalls rest of the day to stay loose. I had some greys at one time though that I crossed on my kelso for gaff birds and you could leave those in the flypens all day and they would barely work. They was just laid back, somewhat lazy birds. But I do believe that using flypens too much has ruined a lot of good roosters.

12. Likes trueedge, Jailbird6, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s not a popular method because the feeder doesn’t feel like that they are involved enough. No pills, no moving them 5 times a day, no flys on the table ect. ect. People like to feel like their Super Duper
    keep is what does the trick. I’ve tried it all before myself and I’ve come to the conclusion that good roosters that are stress free, happy, healthy and alert is not the Rocket Science we try to make it out to be.
    Last edited by Thompson; June 13th, 2018 at 04:02 AM.

14. Likes trueedge, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weight and health is the core strength of about all animals ... not exercise so much . They can be healthy and in shape in about any kind of pen or cord you can imagine . I agree that you can do all kinds of stuff to try and work them , but it's just a waste of time for the most part .... The last three days of pointing will have more effect on the derby than the two weeks before that

16. Likes Noshow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I very much agree with you there Quapaw. If you maintain weight and health and have them mentally strong and pointed correctly, then you will do well.

Post Thanks / Like

Simplicity and Execution is my philosophy.

19. Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a young man started 20 or more years ago. I showed him how to work his birds and feed them. He didn't have any fly pens only dome pens and a couple brood pens. He used an extra room in his house to black them out. He partnered up with V.N. Nicholson and his first year was runner up for COTY at Laran. He built 12 fly pens and a cock house and he never got back to winning as much and got out in a couple more years. I have fly pens and use them but I like to keep them on the cords the last week. The old timers always said don't get them wet the last week. I like mine to get rained on. I work them hard but not the last 5 days. It's worked well for me for many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Do everything you can to mess them up. Put them back on cords to get over it.

22. Likes LaBlue, Tokio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s pretty good stuff. Probably pretty accurate too.

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing that needs built up is their wind and mental attitude

25. Likes southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank Shy (Narragansett)

27. Likes Liberty Hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Frank Shy (Narragansett)
    I agree with Mr. Shy's statements, except on "a little heavy and has not been handled much." Doesn't seem to work in lk, especially in derbies.