View Poll Results: If you had to choose one Family of Hatch what Family would it be?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gilmore

26 25.49%
  • Penny

28 27.45%
  • Bumgardner

7 6.86%
  • Oakgrove

17 16.67%
  • Walton

11 10.78%
  • ruble

13 12.75%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose one Hatch Family what Family would it be and from who?

Post Thanks / Like

If you had to choose one Hatch Family what Family would it be and from who?

If you had to choose one Hatch Family what Family would it be and from who? yfis Jay

2. Thanks KsBlacks thanked for this post
    Likes Kbenco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you had to choose one Hatch Family what Family would it be and from who?

Got it to work that time. Sorry fellows for making so many of these threads, computer wasnt acting right.lol

And if the Family that would have isnt on the poll still post what Family you would have, it wouldnt let me post but six and those were the first ones to come to mind. I like the Gilmores the ones we have originated from Slick Lizard, FAST and put the spur where it needs to be, Great ground fighter.
    Last edited by lawgreyman14; July 29th, 2015 at 12:51 AM.

4. Thanks Kbenco thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My choice is not up there. I choose the McLeans from Harold Brown.

Respectfully:

Cliff King

OKLAHOMA

6. Thanks lawgreyman14 thanked for this post
    Likes avalos1991, walls, KevinG, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a good list if Blueface aren't on it.

8. Likes bill78, kywolf, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkerj15 View Post
    Not a good list if Blueface aren't on it.
    I think its a good list,lol. Which Family do you think the Blueface should replace up there?

10. Thanks Kbenco, chopsuey line thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take a good family of blueface over any but thats my opinion of course.

12. Likes grey/dom, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i should also say sweater mcginnis blueface....as our experienced...perry hatch and gilmore come close...we had ruble before but not so much experience about it...mclean is plenty around in our Island.

Post Thanks / Like

The old Gavillan if You could find it.

15. Likes kywolf, GoldenDragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a family of Perry that were quite good as well.

17. Likes grey/dom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

YL hatch would be good to add to the list, since thats how they originally came.

19. Likes dungeon, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the families mentioned in this post are hard to beat. Years ago it was a must that every rooster man had that go to to family of dark leg hatch. It was believed to be that you had to have them to compete in any compition.in these days there are so many good families that are used for foundation that are in fact not dark leg instead yellow or white leged. So times have changed but one thing remains the same its hard to do with out them old hatch chickens. We have 2 families that we breed they are the penny's and a family of McLean from Harry parr that have been mainstays..they are a ton of good families of hatch and I think most still show the bitter gaminess we all desire and like to see.good thread I like this one a lot. God bless.

21. Likes GoldenDragon, lawgreyman14, Sig1911, GMG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i would have to say my penny blood bitter game and great cutters YFIS

23. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgreyman14 View Post
    If you had to choose one Hatch Family what Family would it be and from who? yfis Jay
    Yesterday, I thought you were asking for hatch pertaining to the long-heel.
    That said I feel that today's big breeders DONT FOCUS on the longheel. So forget them. To me the longheel has to be EXCLUSIVELY bred for, otherwise you will loose those primary characteristics that are so hard to come by now a days and I'm not just taking gameness.
    To find these bloodlines try asking on this website. Ideally someone from another state. Longheel men don't like meeting there own bloodlines and they can be some stingy son of a bucks too. There also not driven by money, so be humble, respectful and listen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Yesterday, I thought you were asking for hatch pertaining to the long-heel.
    That said I feel that today's big breeders DONT FOCUS on the longheel. So forget them. To me the longheel has to be EXCLUSIVELY bred for, otherwise you will loose those primary characteristics that are so hard to come by now a days and I'm not just taking gameness.
    To find these bloodlines try asking on this website. Ideally someone from another state. Longheel men don't like meeting there own bloodlines and they can be some stingy son of a bucks too. There also not driven by money, so be humble, respectful and listen.
    Im not looking to obtain any new Hatch Blood as i have some Gilmores and Some Gerard Blood on our yard. Just wanted to see how fellow cockers felt about they're favorite Hatch Family. And yes sir im talking about which Family you would rather have for SG or Lg. Dont care what the big breeders focus on im wanting to hear from the backyard old timer breeders who used to show back in the day, who showed at tough pits and seen many Hatch Families throw the steel, which in their opinions would be the One Family they would have if they had to choose just one. Probably shouldve put all this in the first post.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Im not looking to obtain any new Hatch Blood as i have some Gilmores and Some Gerard Blood on our yard. Just wanted to see how fellow cockers felt about they're favorite Hatch Family. And yes sir im talking about which Family you would rather have for SG or Lg. Dont care what the big breeders focus on im wanting to hear from the backyard old timer breeders who used to show back in the day, who showed at tough pits and seen many Hatch Families throw the steel, which in their opinions would be the One Family they would have if they had to choose just one. Probably shouldve put all this in the first post.lol
    I understand. There's also a longheel thread on here or else your going to get EVERONES idea.
    My vote is for old Hawk McClean blood originating from Gus Frisiof. They push through cut and durability.

27. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Percy Flowers hatch. They are heavy on the regular grey but those are the ones I personally like.

Post Thanks / Like

If all else fails bring in the powerhouses from Harold Brown, yes the Harold Brown hatches are the most powerfull roosters I have ever seen and Im talking in general all breeds combined. yfis Raul.

30. Likes walls, lawgreyman14, GoldenDragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

bates, if I have to choose one, if I have chance to another line I take YLH,...with those I have plenty of choices for any style.

32. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gilmores from Harley Davis.

34. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doc hatches. I have both gilmore and docs but I love Docs

36. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt see the Bates or Givens? I like the more athletic type of hatches or even Mcleans. I like the ones that look like a hatch but perform better than your average hatch. There's too many hatch lines out there, but everyone is different and you will get mixed opinions!

38. Likes KevinG, lawgreyman14, GoldenDragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for Bates...

We used to breed McLeans, Blueface, and we had a strain that was 1/2 McLean 1/2 Blueface...about a year ago, I would've picked McLean then 1/2 McLean 1/2 Blueface, but now I have Bates Reds and Spangles, and I like them more and more everyday....

40. Likes GoldenDragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gilmore hatch from Slick lizard

42. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be a tuff 1 for me ...i like my hatch blood. I have perrcy flower and bates both have there own style ...all these hatch mentioned i like ...But for me to pick 1 my perrcy flowers

44. Likes lawgreyman14, timtaboo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Without a doubt Stone county McLeans,

46. Likes White hackle, trueedge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal favorites would be the Rubles that I use to have back in the day from an old timer named Mr. Dove from El Paso, TX. They take a lot handling but they got the job done! Close second will have to be the old time Mcleans, I use to get them from an old friend that buys them from I really don't know who but they were some outstanding fowl!

Post Thanks / Like

I want to try the bone crasher hatches...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I could care less on the opinions for a style of show that last seconds!!!
    I want to also hear from the real hatch breeders that can hold power for hours if need be not just a fly buckle and death it proves nothing.

50. Thanks lawgreyman14 thanked for this post
    Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since all my hatch are Rubles or mostly Ruble I voted for Ruble. None are direct from Billy Ruble. They are from cockers that had the Rubles for 30+ years or more. I dont think they are better than my XYZ hatch, which is heavy Ruble also. The Harold Brown and Billy Rubles have stood the test of time for many in the southeast. Most good ones got new names but I bet Billy & Harold are behind most. The Slop Jars come to mind basically Rubles. The Col. Givens-Harold Browns etc.. Like I say chickens are only as good as the person you get them from. Harold Brown & Billy Ruble have been gone good while now.

52. Likes KevinG, vic5.0, lawgreyman14, jncblas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

this is my breed...my dom was infused of our blue face....all our blue face lineage fight to be game enough if went to some lenght..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWRN...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Gq...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by grey/dom; July 29th, 2015 at 09:40 PM.