Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here today, Gone Tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like

Here today, Gone Tomorrow...

Thought for the day. I personally have been around game fowl since I was a Kid. My Grandfather owned a Pit in Cuba and raised and showed Roosters there and here in Florida when it was still legal. Now with that being said, I see people that get in to this Hobby and think that they Know it all in a few short years lets say 10 yrs. Friends I can Honestly say that I am pushing 60 yrs old and still learn new things about these Awesome Birds every year..NO ONE knows it All, No One.. I also see people get in to this hobby and Bark & make a lot of noise on these sites and in a few short years are getting out and never heard from or Seen again.. WHY?? Because its not in there Blood... its just a Fad to be cool or to show off how macho they are ETC... Its not a way of life to them and they got in to this Hobby for All the Wrong reasons and they never last... Here today, Gone Tomorrow!!! This Hobby to me is a way of Life. It has been this way to me since I was a Kid helping my Grandfather Feed, water and raise his Game fowl . I will be in this Hobby until the day comes that I can no longer care for the birds and then it will be time for me to get out.. I love the Sound of my Roosters crowing in the Morning as I sit on my Back porch having my morning cup of Coffee.. No sweeter sound exist in my Book. Well enough of this Old Mans Rants. Just thought I would vent. May you All have a Blessed day and be safe.. yf Al Sanchez

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here today, Gone Tomorrow...

I agree with some of what you said above Al, but not with all of it, me myself are what you would call a greenhorn into game fowl maybe 7 or 8 years. My father or G/father were not in the least bit interested in game but kept dunhill for eggs and meat,
    Now I'm no expert on anything but what I do know is if your first timer don't get in game fowl, well then it's simple it's a dead end or extinction for the game bird, simple reason it's dying out, because there's too much hassle with tree huggers and the law, but I'll say this for everyone of your here today gone tomorrow chicken men there are a good % that will get that bug or addiction for everything game fowl has to offer, I'm one and two of my good friends are also, and I think we will be here for a long time to come. And on the negative side I've seen a couple of old timers who's sons or grandsons haven't the slightest interest in game fowl. So I think us greenhorns are needed
    We just need some …helpful advice from yourselves as in people who are at it a long time breeding gamefowl
    Last edited by wicklapaul69; August 24th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Preach on Al. What you said makes sence to me. Good job keep it up buddy. I enjoy reading your posts.

4. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always said "knowledge is power" and u r right Al, I along with u learn something new every year. I have had birds since I was 12 and no one in my family has had any nor do they care to have any. I will have them till the day I die and hopefully my kids will love this game like I do. It puts a smile on my face when my hens hatch off chicks and it makes me sad when some die and truthfully I like that because I know I still love it just like I did when I was a kid.

6. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Gents for the Kind Words.... Long Live the Game Cock..

8. Likes laguardia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Al.......Most People that get in and out of the Sport are Gamblers and think that they can make a quick $. They dont feel the pleasure on breeding, rasining, caring for Game Birds...... They just dont have it in them.
    Last edited by laguardia; August 25th, 2015 at 12:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laguardia View Post
    I agree Al.......Most People that get in and out of the Sport are Gamblers and think that they can make a quick $. They dont feel the pleasure on breeding, rasining, caring for Game Birds...... They just dont have it in them.
    To get the right birds and to figure out the three most important components; breeding, caring, and conditioning; would be near impossible without some serious help.

If you haven't got a knowelageable mentor and access to great fowl with a history you are going battle to get over 50% and that isn't good enough.

Being a second generation cocker you have all the experience of your forefathers to call on and their proven lines. It is a great advantage.

I was very fortunate to have an old timer, no disrespect lol! Teach me so much that I thought I knew and gift me birds that are bred to perform. Being able to call on some ones experience and birds that has been in it 50 years gives you an advantage over other newbie or intermediate cockers.

I have been in it 15 years and am still learning every season. I feel like I'm getting there.
    I think up to ten years you are a novice in this game, 10 to 20 Intermediate and over 20 years you should be well seasoned. That's with help !

You will never figure it out on your own in my opinion,

With the advent of the Internet you can learn things that in the days of legal cocking nobody would tell you.
    I have seen such great advice posted on here but also some not so great. You need at least a fair amount of sense to be able to know good advice from bad and I am thankful for the bit of sense that do have.

I am a first and last generation cocker but I feel as kin of a good chicken man and a great human being.
    I have made tremendous sacrifices, crossed oceans and gone to great expense to keep my birds at all costs and they aren't going anywhere as long as humanly possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Al, I feel and hear you. I fell for gamefowl when I was 3 yrs. old at my grandfather's farm. The fowl belonged to his son, my mother's brother. I figured out at feeding time if I threw corn between two penning side stags they would fight most of the time and that is what I wanted to see even back then. I remember Allen RH, Clairbornes, Cuban Headhunters, and a new breed for him, the Red and Grey Clarets. I could not own fowl til I was 30yrs old and moved to where I am now. I am 72 and will keep fowl til I die, At least brood fowl that I raise and test every yr. if only against my own birds. Looking for the day to turn some loose legally.

12. Thanks Yunke8888, Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The times they are a changing. Ten years ago there was 20 men right around me that had game fowl. I entered about 6 derbies every month. Now there is about 6 men I think and I gather my prettiest birds and go to a poultry show a couple times a year. Far cry from years gone by. on another note we just wip out our cell phone take a picture and send it around the world. Every thing is right now anymore. I remember about 10-12 years ago reading the Gamecock Magazine. A young man had written a note to the editor. He wanted to talk to someone from the states about feeding cocks. I wrote him a short note and in a few weeks got a letter back. In a few more weeks I sent him a lengthy letter and some notes about feeding. This went on for a while and I sent him my phone number. In a week or so he called me. I was like I'm sorry could you repete that every few sentences. Time goes by and we finally meet. Him and his wife are great friends and I can understand him much better now. Like I said the times they are a changing.

Post Thanks / Like

The deal is the times change but our/mine heart stays the same. VIVA the game cock! long may he crow!

Post Thanks / Like

Truly understand what your saying Al! I've been around cocking for almost all my life and I've seen a lot come and go over the years! Here on Guam, I'm glad to see that the younger generation are mostly kids of older cockers that were taught to carry on the tradition which is a great thing! But just in recent years I have also seen what you mentioned, new wanna be cockers that after being in it for a short while, they think they're experts or know everything about cocking......lol which just cracks me up cause in the end, I don't hear or see these individuals around anymore! The cocking tradition here on Guam is going strong and I pray that when I'm at that ripe ole age where it is time for me to sit back and just enjoy the view of my son taking care of the birds, that this tradition and way of life is stronger than ever! God is good!
    Last edited by jncblas; August 25th, 2015 at 04:38 PM.

16. Thanks GP13, Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888, LaBlue, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you guys noticed that these "know it all" cockers don't do very well when it counts? When you think you know everything it is to know, it is time to get out of the sport . If you are not willing to accept that your knowledge is limited, you will never get any better. Raising top gamefowl is an ongoing process . It doesn't matter if you have been involved in the sport for 50 years, you still have many things to learn.

18. Thanks Yunke8888, jncblas, LaBlue, Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning and Thanks to All who gave such great Comments on this Post.. As I always say the first step to learning is to Shut your mouth and Open your Ears. If you cant do that. Well you will never learn anything.. Have a Great Day Gentlemen.. GOD Bless..

20. Thanks Beef, LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sanchez View Post
    Thought for the day. I personally have been around game fowl since I was a Kid. My Grandfather owned a Pit in Cuba and raised and showed Roosters there and here in Florida when it was still legal. Now with that being said, I see people that get in to this Hobby and think that they Know it all in a few short years lets say 10 yrs. Friends I can Honestly say that I am pushing 60 yrs old and still learn new things about these Awesome Birds every year..NO ONE knows it All, No One.. I also see people get in to this hobby and Bark & make a lot of noise on these sites and in a few short years are getting out and never heard from or Seen again.. WHY?? Because its not in there Blood... its just a Fad to be cool or to show off how macho they are ETC... Its not a way of life to them and they got in to this Hobby for All the Wrong reasons and they never last... Here today, Gone Tomorrow!!! This Hobby to me is a way of Life. It has been this way to me since I was a Kid helping my Grandfather Feed, water and raise his Game fowl . I will be in this Hobby until the day comes that I can no longer care for the birds and then it will be time for me to get out.. I love the Sound of my Roosters crowing in the Morning as I sit on my Back porch having my morning cup of Coffee.. No sweeter sound exist in my Book. Well enough of this Old Mans Rants. Just thought I would vent. May you All have a Blessed day and be safe.. yf Al Sanchez
    those know it all i love to listen to them talk, you'll never know what you'll learn. just listen and see what you can apply or add in your program, it doesn't mean you'll follow what he says by the letter. some people are really like that (talk) and you'll never know what you might pick up on their system so just keep on listening.
    good luck to all!
    kid

22. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes southernX, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before and I'll say it till I'm blue in the face...if u wouldn't fight for free u don't really love it...I hear people say yeah I need to help pay the feed bill I need to help pay gas money...f@ck the feed bill and gas money...when I was 14 and pitted my first stag I raised from an egg I never thought about the feed bill money or gas money or bet money for that matter...when I first saw a game rooster I never thought...man I wonder what it costs to feed him and I damn sure don't now...and before anyone starts the you're just scared to bet blah blah blah I'll tell u now when I go to the scale I'll ask how much u wanna roll em for??? Most the time they ask u directly back not wanting to say first I have found lol...I say from 0-$200 u can pick and if I'm feelin good it'll b 0-$500 that they can choose

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it till I'm blue in the face...if u wouldn't fight for free u don't really love it...I hear people say yeah I need to help pay the feed bill I need to help pay gas money...f@ck the feed bill and gas money...when I was 14 and pitted my first stag I raised from an egg I never thought about the feed bill money or gas money or bet money for that matter...when I first saw a game rooster I never thought...man I wonder what it costs to feed him and I damn sure don't now...and before anyone starts the you're just scared to bet blah blah blah I'll tell u now when I go to the scale I'll ask how much u wanna roll em for??? Most the time they ask u directly back not wanting to say first I have found lol...I say from 0-$200 u can pick and if I'm feelin good it'll b 0-$500 that they can choose

Lucas
    Lucas ,you described me and brought me memories when I was 9 or 10 with my cock under my arm Seeking contender

25. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes laguardia, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Resendiz74 View Post
    Lucas ,you described me and brought me memories when I was 9 or 10 with my cock under my arm Seeking contender
    I'll also add money really dont mean nothin to the roosters they don't know if u bet a million or zero on him...David slated goliath many times in this game

Lucas

27. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to All who gave such great Comments on this Post.. It got a little off subject, but still a good read.. Here today and I will still be here tomorrow..LOL Have a Blessed Day to All...

Post Thanks / Like

Thought this one was worth another time around. Any more Comments or opinions would be Great..

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say that I know it all but I've been around games most of my life. My granddad had them but no interest in fighting them and my dad and uncle both had them but both sold out because of work getting in the way. Here I am a few years later trying to get into the "game" side of it but it's tough but like the gamecocks there ain't no quit in me.

31. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888, laguardia, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much to learn,too little time.i've been a student of the sport since i was 13 and I've been here for 32yrs now.i always see myself as a novice.i enjoy every aspect of the sport,I've seen much but i think it's not enough.

33. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888, Al Sanchez, Black_Spur liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another short story! My father has been gone for several years now, and this thread gone tomorrow got me thinking about him. He was a breeder and a story teller also. I guess one of my best friends ever. We loved to talk to each other but after a bit we'd be arguing. We just agreed to disagree. [I think he did it on purpose just to ruffle my feathers.] One day we were discussing something and I said Dad that's not what you told me a couple weeks ago. He just looked at me and grinned a little and said "Well only a damn fool won't change his mind." How can you argue with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing my Friend. Your Dad sounds like he was one Heck of a Dad to you and a even better Friend... GOD Bless
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Another short story! My father has been gone for several years now, and this thread gone tomorrow got me thinking about him. He was a breeder and a story teller also. I guess one of my best friends ever. We loved to talk to each other but after a bit we'd be arguing. We just agreed to disagree. [I think he did it on purpose just to ruffle my feathers.] One day we were discussing something and I said Dad that's not what you told me a couple weeks ago. He just looked at me and grinned a little and said "Well only a damn fool won't change his mind." How can you argue with that?

36. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr.Al,I am just speechless after reading your original comments.You described my own personal thoughts about the gamefowl world to a tee.Only with much more clarity and elegance.If everyone in or thinking about entering this great sport of ours would read and carefully think about your post.The gamefowl world as a whole would be lightyears ahead of where we are now.Here is me wishing you continued success with your gamefowl interest and everything else you do in life.You sir are a true inspiration not only to this great sport of ours but in mankind in general as well.I personally say thank you from the bottom of my heart.RBennett.

38. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Beef, BLAKE V., Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Bennett : First and foremost I want to thank you for the Kind Comments. I am Honored to call you a Friend.. What I wrote in my Post on the Topic Here today, Gone Tomorrow came from my Heart that day.. I sit back sometimes and reflect on my years in this Hobby and All I have learned... And also All the Great People that are now my Friends because of our shared Love for Game fowl.. Well Mr. Bennett I can now ad you as a Friend to my list. Thank you and GOD Bless you my Friend..yf Al Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by r.bennett View Post
    Mr.Al,I am just speechless after reading your original comments.You described my own personal thoughts about the gamefowl world to a tee.Only with much more clarity and elegance.If everyone in or thinking about entering this great sport of ours would read and carefully think about your post. The gamefowl world as a whole would be light years ahead of where we are now. Here is me wishing you continued success with your gamefowl interest and everything else you do in life.You sir are a true inspiration not only to this great sport of ours but in mankind in general as well.I personally say thank you from the bottom of my heart.RBennett.

40. Likes BLAKE V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any more input on my Rant?? LOL.. With All the Likes and Thanks my First Comment got. There must be some folks that Agree with what I posted.. May GOD Bless each and everyone of you and your Families..

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing you All the Best Friend..
    Quote Originally Posted by American Game View Post
    Can't say that I know it all but I've been around games most of my life. My granddad had them but no interest in fighting them and my dad and uncle both had them but both sold out because of work getting in the way. Here I am a few years later trying to get into the "game" side of it but it's tough but like the gamecocks there ain't no quit in me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sanchez View Post
    Wishing you All the Best Friend..
    Thanks Al. And wishing the same to you

44. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went thru a phase in the late 80's and early 90's where although I did not know it all,I was kind of hard to teach (had little trust in most people).Now that there is no legal place to compete I worry less about competition steering me wrong and as I have gotten older I have become more open minded realizing that if what I am doing is not working,then try something new.I have a few left from chicks I had ordered from Chandler that I had bred and raised...all the originals are gone but I still name them and enjoy them as much as I can.All breeding is put on hold as cancer just got the first ten count on me and I have broken the count.It sure reminds me what the Bible says and means when it says "we are just vapors"...meaning we really don't spend much time at all on this earth compared to the eternity to come.It humbles me that God should care so much for me that even in these trying times He gives me rest and comfort.My surgeon and oncologist told me this is stage three cancer but curable....all I could tell them is that God is an ALL stage God for every phase of my life and while I will complete all treatments my real trust is in Him for He is forever and I am just here today and gone tomorrow ......aren't we all though?

46. Thanks kywolf, Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Samiyam, Keep breaking that count. It is true we are here for a very little while. The Lord will comfort and strengthen us. I will pray for you brother.

48. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Krackers Koop, Al Sanchez liked this post