Thread: Origin of the Vibrators

Post Thanks / Like

Origin of the Vibrators

Previous posts mistakenly stated that the Vibrators were as a result of a Gray Cock over Brown Red hens. It was actually the exact opposite. The Turkey Cock was a John Stone Brown Red and was the sire of the Vibrators. We had a number of hens from One Eye (a Manziel Gray called the "Ball of Fires" that had been bred for Pete Frost by Sweater McGuiness) who would have been the Vibrators' grandfather. One eye was bred to two El Reno hens (Bingham Reds). This cross produced a great number of very good gamecocks and the mothers of the Vibrators. The Turkey Cock, a Brown Red, was bred to the hens sired by One Eye, producing the Vibrators. We know very little about the Turkey Cock's breeding or background. My father (Jake "Big Chief" Engel) bought him when he won a fight at a pit in Oklahoma for $25. He was a large cock, over 6 pounds with beautiful plumage. I gathered the eggs from the brood pen, marking "T.C." on every egg with a lead pencil. We hatched them at a small commercial hatchery on the highway south of Guthrie, OK. There were two settings: one in early March and the other about two weeks later in 1947. The second setting was mostly drowned by a rain storm, but the few that survived were saved by my brother Al, as we had all gone to a cockfight. In 1948, the Vibrators won two stag mains against Jim Dale at Stroud, OK and Muskogee, OK. They won another stag main in Tallahassee in December of that year against the Mitchell brothers. Max Thagard then took the Vibrators and moved to the Harry Charles' Pearl Lake Farm near Birmingham, AL. Max and Big Chief (my father) trained the Vibrators, along with some of Harry Charles' roosters, for the 1949 Orlando tournament, which was a 16-cock tournament considered at the time as the World Series of Cockfighting. One of the Vibrators, who barely survived his fight alive, was sold to Stroetz of Wisconsin for $500. I still have the "Gamecock" and "Grit and Steel" magazines from 1949 describing the win at Orlando. It was a special time for us because the Vibrators were so special. They won a lot of fights for so few of them. Shep was an extra special Vibrator. He fought in both the Jim Dale mains and another main at Ruleville, MS, against George Duke (all three as a stag), then as a 2-yr. old he fought and won at Tallahassee and Orlando. He won at Orlando again as a 3-yr. old, and won again as a 4-yr. old at Ruleville. My father (Big Chief) in-bred some of the Vibrators and won an 8-cock derby at Tallahassee's "Leon County Game Club" in 1951, two years after Orlando.
    Last edited by Jake Engel #2; February 5th, 2016 at 09:22 AM.

2. Likes Kapalmuks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Origin of the Vibrators

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Engel #2 View Post
    Previous posts mistakenly stated that the Vibrators were as a result of a Gray Cock over Brown Red hens. It was actually the exact opposite. The Turkey Cock was a John Stone Brown Red and was the sire of the Vibrators. We had a number of hens from One Eye (a Manziel Gray called the "Ball of Fires" that had been bred for Pete Frost by Sweater McGuiness) who would have been the Vibrators' grandfather. One eye was bred to two El Reno hens (Bingham Reds). This cross produced a great number of very good gamecocks and the mothers of the Vibrators. The Turkey Cock, a Brown Red, was bred to the hens sired by One Eye, producing the Vibrators. We know very little about the Turkey Cock's breeding or background. My father (Jake "Big Chief" Engel) bought him when he won a fight at a pit in Oklahoma for $25. He was a large cock, over 6 pounds with beautiful plumage. I gathered the eggs from the brood pen, marking "T.C." on every egg with a lead pencil. We hatched them at a small commercial hatchery on the highway south of Guthrie, OK. There were two settings: one in early March and the other about two weeks later in 1947. The second setting was mostly drowned by a rain storm, but the few that survived were saved by my brother Al, as we had all gone to a cockfight. In 1948, the Vibrators won two stag mains against Jim Dale at Stroud, OK and Muskogee, OK. They won another stag main in Tallahassee in December of that year against the Mitchell brothers. Max Thagard then took the Vibrators and moved to the Harry Charles' Pearl Lake Farm near Birmingham, AL. Max and Big Chief (my father) trained the Vibrators, along with some of Harry Charles' roosters, for the 1949 Orlando tournament, which was a 16-cock tournament considered at the time as the World Series of Cockfighting. One of the Vibrators, who barely survived his fight alive, was sold to Stroetz of Wisconsin for $500. I still have the "Gamecock" and "Grit and Steel" magazines from 1949 describing the win at Orlando. It was a special time for us because the Vibrators were so special. They won a lot of fights for so few of them. Shep was an extra special Vibrator. He fought in both the Jim Dale mains and another main at Ruleville, MS, against George Duke (all three as a stag), then as a 2-yr. old he fought and won at Tallahassee and Orlando. He won at Orlando again as a 3-yr. old, and won again as a 4-yr. old at Ruleville. My father (Big Chief) in-bred some of the Vibrators and won an 8-cock derby at Tallahassee's "Leon County Game Club" in 1951, two years after Orlando.
    . Jake it is good to hear something from you,Your the second person to get the story correct,as told by Max himself and may God rest his soul.Take care my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

This story is bogus. Max Thagard and only Max Thagard is responsible for the vibrator breed. Although Big Jake hung around Max he never did any of the things listed here.

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, there were only 21 original vibrators and that was it. There's only one man outside of the Thagard family that has any of the true bloodline. Jimmy Rowe out of Kentucky I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

This is freaking irritating. I guess Jake forgot that Max and Mike still have kids that are living. This BS needs to be removed.

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

please take this BS out of this forum take this to
    the chicken talk or the usapan manok thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about this site or the forums you're mentioning. I just stumbled across this article last night and know for a fact that it's a lie. It's like walking on the Graves of my family and should be removed immediately.

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

this is a very interesting post unfortunately was posted in
    the wrong forum.... am going to ask the admin to move this
    in chicken talk... keep on posting !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought this was chicken talk ? Am I mistaken?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    I thought this was chicken talk ? Am I mistaken?
    I thought it was too steel but apparently when u back out of this to go back to the thread page its listed as sabong news over to the right; i guess they caught us both not lookin lol