Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are your tactics?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are your tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I've given this some thought. I can remember the best fights of all my cocks I look back and think WHY? Why were they so special? I go frame to frame of a very short fight! They timed the other cocks. They at the split second the other cock made his move my ace had already countered with his attack. And with an ace it is over when you make that first mistake!
    I've got some little yellow legged reds that when bred straight will side step once or twice and can time one better than any I've ever owned and when they let loose one quick burst your hurt bad

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

2. Likes sinapangan, bobwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Our Kelso is a breaking bird and I don't mind it cause there so fast and don't miss. They can't be touched clean for the first 2 minutes. My Lacy, I don't want to break at all. They bring you to the ground and play speed chess.
    There is a cross I make for some reason everyone. Will fight the same way they will go up with you but let the other out break them will turn a flip in air and land on their feet you would swear they are pure bred dunhill but heal one up and 75% of the time they kill in the fly and are hardly ever touched

4. Likes sinapangan liked this post
    JLF

Quote Originally Posted by yard bird View Post
    There is a cross I make for some reason everyone. Will fight the same way they will go up with you but let the other out break them will turn a flip in air and land on their feet you would swear they are pure bred dunhill but heal one up and 75% of the time they kill in the fly and are hardly ever touched

Dadgum I need me some of them........ Wow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    Dadgum I need me some of them........ Wow
    I need my azz kicked for not breading more of them they good little roosters but they have one fault I can't get over they have no ground game . if they upside down in air or on their back they are deadly but if it get to a chest to chest brawl they are finished I just like a good grounder but I keep a fee of them around because they are good for what they do if I know someone has good high breaking birds and we were to do a main they are my answer lol

Last edited by yard bird; May 31st, 2016 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most man fighters as a rule are not game
    not trying to stir up anything, but I have found this not to be true or "as a rule". I'm sure its happened to some and I know everyone hates manfighters, but I have found no correlation to being not game. I respectfully disagree. I write this only so cockers new to the sport don't reject mean fowl thinking they are not game.

8. Thanks jemm65 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    not trying to stir up anything, but I have found this not to be true or "as a rule". I'm sure its happened to some and I know everyone hates manfighters, but I have found no correlation to being not game. I respectfully disagree. I write this only so cockers new to the sport don't reject mean fowl thinking they are not game.
    I agree 100% but I will ad. I got 3 Sweater cocks to breed this season and those birds are worst man fighters I ever had here. I dont think Sweaters are mean like the Rubles either. I think the Sweater just hit anything out of instinct = NUTs in my book! They wont last here long that dont straighten up!

Post Thanks / Like

Me and one of my Murphy's come to an agreement you don't come near me and I'll stay a way him that way neither of us get killed or hurt took us three months to come to this agreement till next year will renegotiate or deal

11. Likes avalos1991, jemm65, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about mean birds not being game. My issue with them is mental instability. I like fowl that are mentally stable.

13. Likes RHman1026, bobwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about mean birds not being game. My issue with them is mental instability. I like fowl that are mentally stable.
    Please explain this mental you keep referring to. They have characteristics & behaviors and 99% of the birds are made man fighters by folks that do not understand what they have. My take on a high spirited bird,which a novice cannot handle. You gotta put little effort in to get the good'uns! My take on good game high spirited tight bred family. I'm still very proud my ole plugger's

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously I'm sure u know a man fighter but most don't...my kelso stay on "edge" I call it...they'll hit my hat a rooster whatever u put in front of em...but u put a rooster in front of em thats all they know is in the world...most people ain't got a clue what a true man fighter is in my opinion

Lucas

16. Likes KevinG, BamaOkie, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of people using the word "SELECTION". DONT HEAR ALOT OF REASONS FOR SELECTION.
    You can't "select" if you don't know what your looking for, so prior to selection you must have a "TACTICAL" idea of how you expect them to perform and this is where selection comes into play in ADDITION to winning.
    So, What are the tactical performance characteristics you SELECT for?
    You've got to know your family of fowl to know what to look for. Could take 2-10 years. For the beginners, you need to pay attention to the details of the birds. The cock, the hen, how they act, everything. Select for the family, and what you like, but don't let these two contradict each other, otherwise you need to start with a new line of birds.

18. Likes Sig1911, sinapangan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    Please explain this mental you keep referring to. They have characteristics & behaviors and 99% of the birds are made man fighters by folks that do not understand what they have. My take on a high spirited bird,which a novice cannot handle. You gotta put little effort in to get the good'uns! My take on good game high spirited tight bred family. I'm still very proud my ole plugger's
    First off, I have seen good mean families of fowl but not many. The best fowl I've seen are cool headed, smart birds that SEE everything. If your seeing RED your missing a lot. Hot headed fowl can have a purpose if, when crossed, they can see.
    Its like getting into a fight with a person whose pure pissed off. There easy to whip if you keep a cool head and pickem apart. You can't think when your pissed off. It's not a "pissed off" competition. Just an opinion boys. There's a hundred ways to win.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; June 1st, 2016 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I have seen good mean families of fowl but not many. The best fowl I've seen are cool headed, smart birds that SEE everything. If your seeing RED your missing a lot. Hot headed fowl can have a purpose if, when crossed, they can see.
    Its like getting into a fight with a person whose pure pissed off. There easy to whip if you keep a cool head and pickem apart. You can think when your pissed off. It's not a "pissed off" competition. Just an opinion boys. There's a hundred ways to win.
    Excactly my opinion on it. The straight man fighters I've dealt with were great sparring rooster you'd swear there were gonna cut something to pieces but all they did was get killed still fought like they sparred but we're just to hot headed to connect as much as they should've. I've dealt with five real man fighters, four were put up thru a keep and shown and lost, and one we hacked at a buddy's fought for two pitting and quit on top. Needless to say if I can't calm him down by putting him on the cord and handking him a couple times a day or have him calm a week and a half thru a keep, I gots no need for them don't care how good they spar. All when it was legal oh how I wish. Imo

21. Likes KevinG, LaBlue, MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mean as in manfighting mean is a defect that deserves culling. It is hard enough to breed and raise ace cocks at the winning level required so why mess with this type cull?
    I have an 11 year old General that in the last year has become a man fighter...(old age grouchy?)but his babies are not. So I haven't culled him ...yet

23. Likes rogeroleo, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst man fighter I ever had was a Pure Hatch brood cock. He would hit the wire if you were within 2 feet. All his sons were the nicest handling birds you ever saw. At 3 year old this brood cock fell off the roost pole dead one afternoon during feeding time. Died of meanness I say...
    Lawgreyman is Correct....You can not win with man fighters. I have never had anything but ordinary to poor luck with them. I don't know why but they figure out a way to lose.
    Turbo

25. Thanks lawgreyman14 thanked for this post
    Likes RHman1026, LaBlue, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can not reply to others experian only my own. I will not keep a mean gamily. I dont care if they never lost one fight. This sport is supposed to be enjoyed. Every time you fly a cock to the bench and he turns and hits you not for me.

Now back to what I said originally. As a rule mean fowl are not game. A family of JD Perry s I have. Every one is a man fighter, and they are runners. I have a family of Murphysright now 7 out of 9 are man fighters. They were like this when I got them. I dont think what I would call game. Now most people s idea of a game cock is very different then mine.
    Now I have not had many man fighters in my time. Only because they are not welcome here, but in my experience they are not what I consider game. Hopefully I clarified myself

27. Likes LaBlue, Quapaw Kid, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right BostonMurphy.....Man fighters do take a lot of fun out of the sport. Not to mention pain when you try to condition them.
    I have a family of Penny hatch that I bought a couple of years. 2 to be exact.. The cock is a dream to handle, but the hen is a little flaky. The first crop were mean stag wise,,The pullets were like pussy cats.So I bred the cock back over his daughter and this year have 2 of his grand daughters.
    I will try this Original cock over his grand daughters this year and if they are mean........Out they go.
    What say you community???? Do you think this will work?
    Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

There is a difference between man fighters and and hot headed fowl. I like neither but seen men who have the right touch with the ladder. Few men have good hands. Heavy handed people should never touch a bird.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; June 5th, 2016 at 03:54 AM.

30. Likes danitor, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do all the selecting you want but either way you slice it .it's a 50 50 shot both ways ..can take a 2500 dollar rooster and get whooped by a flea market rooster

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

32. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying buy flea market roosters but it's just a 50 50 shot either way you slice it

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't mean to come off as a smart as if that's what anybody though just my view on it

Post Thanks / Like

the ratio gets better in the LK. maybe 10 -1?

36. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You sure right not everyone gets a trophy ..but I have seen a rooster be behind the whole time and with his last breathe jump up and take his opponent out ...# anything can happen ..and all that selection was for not

Post Thanks / Like

But any who different strokes for different folks ..good conversation ...no hate here

Post Thanks / Like

The more you have to look at the better. Choosing brood fowl my family has taught me to look for a specific trait that the gamefowl line is known for (hatch-power and bottom; kelso-extreme cut; roundhead-extreme offense and defense) and so on and so on. Over the years of culling and improving our lines by sticking to thier natural traits selecting the ones with better natural ability while improving body structure (wider backed,longer bodied, hardy and healthy, timid etc.etc.) we now have fowl that really don't have to be crossed to make exceptional fowl. Hard work, paying a lot of attention (good records aswell) , a pile of money and the most precious of all....time.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of the LK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I bought some really good radio stags from a guy that was from Ms and came to alabama and he said they were his culls and I won 4 straight with them ..one man's trash is another man's treasure

Post Thanks / Like

Does any one know what part of the weapon takes his opponents down??? I do and it take just the tip to be place just right

Post Thanks / Like

Just the tip........

So in that.. it's a 50/50 chance..and yes a flea market fowl can be winners to.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a really great community of cockers that come to this flea market and can find some jam up fowl there at any time