Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Varmints

Angry Varmints

Well guys I have had some losses in the past few weeks. Seems that there are a couple grey foxes that started hitting me hard. Any tricks to trapping them besides setting up at night with the shotgun. Already have caught raccoons and possums and deleted them from existence but never had a fox problem till now. And I know they are foxes cause I saw them the other night and scared them off.

Re: Varmints

Quote Originally Posted by BulldozerGreys View Post
    Well guys I have had some losses in the past few weeks. Seems that there are a couple grey foxes that started hitting me hard. Any tricks to trapping them besides setting up at night with the shotgun. Already have caught raccoons and possums and deleted them from existence but never had a fox problem till now. And I know they are foxes cause I saw them the other night and scared them off.
    I hang pullet 4 feet off ground at dusk with traps under neath her has been very successful over many years. Coyotes also same way.

steel traps and live bait like young pullets in a small cage and set against a tree and block three sides with brush and limbs. Set steel traps on open side the more the merrier. This has always worked for me. Also have had luck with large live traps with a live pullet wired to the inside back. but always try to use live bait for foxes and bobcats.
    YFIS

Thats a good one Bama never thought about that before. Learn something new everyday!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

YTD 11 possums, 1 fox, 1 snake 2 coons. To me the conns are the worst.

snares work great if you no where there coming in and out at, and cant go wrong with a dirt hole set with a foot trap

I was a predator trapper for a nuisance animal company for 3 yrs, and trapped live market yotes to feed my family during that period. You cant beat a dirthole set with a flat set 5 or so yds away for catching doubles. If you are near west central part of the state i may be able to bring a few traps over and show you a trick or two. Otherwise just google the dirthole and flat sets and there are plenty of videos. Good luck, hatchsmash

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I usually keep a live trap set but those foxes are smart. I believe I will try the steel traps with a young pullet in a cage idea. I have one with small squares so that a raccoon can't get her.

If they dont go for that wire the pullet on top of cage they cant resist that. Had a family of foxes and every time i would trap one the others got a little smarter. Just have to declare all out war on them.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchsmash View Post
    I was a predator trapper for a nuisance animal company for 3 yrs, and trapped live market yotes to feed my family during that period. You cant beat a dirthole set with a flat set 5 or so yds away for catching doubles. If you are near west central part of the state i may be able to bring a few traps over and show you a trick or two. Otherwise just google the dirthole and flat sets and there are plenty of videos. Good luck, hatchsmash
    Yes I learn all my tricks on the Utube. ones feasting on chickens are easy to catch nothing like real trapping~jus saying!

Well I guess we can talk about trapping other chicken eaters. I like to use oreo cookies for raccoons. That has worked every time for me. I know others like sardines or honey buns.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKE View Post
    YTD 11 possums, 1 fox, 1 snake 2 coons. To me the conns are the worst.
    My ytd is 1 raccoon 5 possums 7 stray cats and hopefully 2 foxes when I get the steel traps.

Its that time of year for young fox to start to learn. I like to find the den and leave them some food to eat. Or its hard to beat a dirt hole trap. We will also take wooden stakes and make a 4 foot circle put them about 3 inches apart. Then leave one opening about 8 inches wide. Short stake a fowl in the middle. put two steel traps at the opening. He sees that chicken and it sees him and starts to get nervous the fox looses all sense and only gets excited and sees his opening. Easiest way to catch a fox.

My yrd count pass 2 years is 2 bobcats , 3 Fox's 5 possums n 1coon my trick have been snars got one getting my yard pullets again but since I had to travel for work I'm only home on weekends I hope my snars do the trick one more time

Another thing that works real well is cutting down 2 small cedar tress and lay side by side a few feet apart and put any kind of meat in the middle,(freezer burnt deer meat, old fish, dead chickens ect.) in the middle of the trees, put a cable restraint at the end of the cedars so they have to walk threw them to get to the meat pile, cable restraints work well because it won't kill whatever u catch, caught lots of dogs that I could release unharmed, caught coons foxes cyotes in this set,

I hate foxes and owls. I have the most trouble with them.

best to be proactive when it comes to predators. don’t wait for them to strike but rather look for signs of their presence and set up traps. most of these animals are apprehensive in entering a new area but once they have started and the getting is good they will become a nuisance.

The coons have been destroying my sweet corn in the last 3 nights I have caught 4 in live traps baited with bread soaked in a little vanilla extract

First dig a small hole and put bacon grease in the hole. Than put the trap on top with the trap pan over the hole. Than put dirt to cover the wire on the bottom of the trap. Cover the sides back and top with light brush.
    Caught 7 this year. Before you go for the foxes try to trap out the coons and possums or have a couple of extra traps set with sardines to catch the coons and possums.

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I usually keep a live trap set but those foxes are smart. I believe I will try the steel traps with a young pullet in a cage idea. I have one with small squares so that a raccoon can't get her.

Haven't caught anything else the last two nights hopefully have them thinning out by now but everything likes chicken so I'm sure they will be back soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by c.turner View Post
    Another thing that works real well is cutting down 2 small cedar tress and lay side by side a few feet apart and put any kind of meat in the middle,(freezer burnt deer meat, old fish, dead chickens ect.) in the middle of the trees, put a cable restraint at the end of the cedars so they have to walk threw them to get to the meat pile, cable restraints work well because it won't kill whatever u catch, caught lots of dogs that I could release unharmed, caught coons foxes cyotes in this set,
    That is a pretty fox. It's a shame that they want to eat our chickens instead of everything else. But it's an easy meal sometimes.

Coons love dry cat food. 2 yr. ago caught 19 in 23 days usually 1 a nite. but they still dug in fly pens and killed 3 pr brood fowl and 2 nest full eggs. Live traps are good for coons, cats, possums. You can leave them set all the time just bait them up. In 2 yrs. I caught 23 coon and I live next to a subdivision but a lot of woods around me. I think coon hunters are turning them loose around here, never seen so many.

A good dog or two solves most any problems with critters....".......................

Well guys I finally got rid of one of the foxes that had been killing my birds. Hopefully will get its mate soon as well. Haven't lost anymore birds in awhile either.

Well guys I finally got rid of one of the foxes that had been killing my birds. Hopefully will get its mate soon as well. Haven't lost anymore birds in awhile either.
    Got 3 fat pups out there maybe you can get you one help you out, Gtg a elec. fence up now be ready bout 3 weeks.

IMG_1768.jpg
    Here's one from Last litter at my Walk yard. Lawgreyman14 got his sister. Good smart dogs real mellow.
    Last edited by BamaOkie; July 12th, 2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add picture

Electric Fence will eliminate the problem. My Electric fence is only 3 strands about 4 to 5 inches apart. Have killed possums, foxes, squirrels and rats with it. That is all I have for a fence in my hen yard, dogs hit it once they will not be back, foxes hit it, they bite the wire and can not let go. My only lost, are the ones that the hawks, owls and gnats kill, will try the traps for hawks that I saw on youtube and possibly get the nite guard for the owls, but I think I tried those yrs ago with no success. Will try the red jugs and Corona for the gnats this year. Good luck with your problem.

Dog proof traps for coon, #2 coilsspring for fox send me a Pm if any one need s help I'm a Trapping instructor in the fall,i also formulate Trapping Lures .

I feel for you. I been plagued with red fox and 2 kinds of hawks. Can't free range anything or it'll be somethings dinner.

I find dead varmints in my dogs circle about every other night. coons, opossums and squirrel usually. a good dog will really help. even better when they don't harm the fowl, just protect em haha.

My YTD is 3 Red Fox, 2 Raccoons, and I lost count of the number of Possums, I'll just say a bunch. My formula for success has been a cage located on the ground with a very vocal Bantam Rooster in it with 4 Duke #3 steel traps set out about 3 ft. away from the cage.
    My ytd is 1 raccoon 5 possums 7 stray cats and hopefully 2 foxes when I get the steel traps.