Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Varmints

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Varmints

yotes got 3 roosters from me this year, they are digging under roundpens enough to get their head in there and drag roosters out, caught em out there a few times in middle of night but they scatter before I can get out the door to shoot em. Guess I'm gonna have to add a couple strands of hot wire.. never had any trouble with yotes till this last month.. got another critter that came right in the yard and took 2 hens sitting around in the bushes and yanked one of my wife's bantams( finally, her cheap b.s. Chickens never get eat by the owls, hawks, and now yotes and a mystery critter, only mine seem to get ate). Here is what I found out in horse stall 30 feet from the house today.. got a mystery critter now. Had to be during the day cause her bantams don't sleep in the stall. The hens sitting got ate at night,, so now Idk what the mystery critter is, sooner or later I'll have enough time to let the dobermans out on the yotes and on the mystery critter or finally get a shot.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkus View Post
    yotes got 3 roosters from me this year, they are digging under roundpens enough to get their head in there and drag roosters out, caught em out there a few times in middle of night but they scatter before I can get out the door to shoot em. Guess I'm gonna have to add a couple strands of hot wire.. never had any trouble with yotes till this last month.. got another critter that came right in the yard and took 2 hens sitting around in the bushes and yanked one of my wife's bantams( finally, her cheap b.s. Chickens never get eat by the owls, hawks, and now yotes and a mystery critter, only mine seem to get ate). Here is what I found out in horse stall 30 feet from the house today.. got a mystery critter now. Had to be during the day cause her bantams don't sleep in the stall. The hens sitting got ate at night,, so now Idk what the mystery critter is, sooner or later I'll have enough time to let the dobermans out on the yotes and on the mystery critter or finally get a shot.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Yotes like to play fetch with small rubber/foamy type balls soaked in bacon grease but don't let your dogs play with them I've always heard.

Wayside Gamefarm UGBA, ALGBA, and MSGBA Member
    Last edited by Nauvoo; November 17th, 2016 at 10:09 AM.

3. Thanks Pinkus thanked for this post
    Likes yard bird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For coyote take a stalk of the black pipe insulation like you get at home improvement store & slice up in pieces about 1\2 big as hotdog then soak them in bacon grease overnight & put a double handful of them in a 2.5 gallon bucket nailed to a post or tree where they can't turn it over. They will scarf them down then they swell in the intestines & die cause they can't pass them. Warning will do the same to a dog so beware.
    Last edited by Rockwood; November 17th, 2016 at 10:20 AM.

5. Thanks Pinkus thanked for this post
    Likes yard bird, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

suckers are bad around here to gonna half to do something relocate them I guess this one not from here all of mine look like they got the mange lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I believe theres rain on the way fellas! It's clouding up here n we went into town grabbed some grub this evening, seen several deer feeding and 4 possums between there n back. Was all I could do to keep the truck out of the ditches. Told my wife I might aughta give the yard a once over before leaving for work, sure enough big boar gotta find him a new home. Mr. Mack, according to your superstition there are no Aces on my yard unfortunately or luckily? I dunno, at any rate, no birds were harmed....... Actually just started hearing the first drops of rain!!

Last edited by Nauvoo; November 19th, 2016 at 11:20 AM.

8. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we having the first real cold front this weekend, gonna get in the mid to low 30s for a couple nights, but no rain in sight. They said on the local news that we've set a new record of consecutive days without any rain 60 something days and counting. Well at least the deer goin be moving with this cold front moving in.

10. Likes Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    I believe theres rain on the way fellas! It's clouding up here n we went into town grabbed some grub this evening, seen several deer feeding and 4 possums between there n back. Was all I could do to keep the truck out of the ditches. Told my wife I might aughta give the yard a once over before leaving for work, sure enough big boar gotta find him a new home. Mr. Mack, according to your superstition there are no Aces on my yard unfortunately or luckily? I dunno, at any rate, no birds were harmed....... Actually just started hearing the first drops of rain!!

Send some of that rain to mid ga we in bad need lol

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

12. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya I think we set our new record last week. N I hope we all get a good soaking n y'all do too. N ya should be a good weekend but if you got a water source you should see action all day I would think.

14. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you guys got any old movies (DVD) that are scratched up you can tie em around your farm on tree branches, the wind spins them and when the sun hits them it will just about blind ya momentarily. I thought this was b.s from a friend but it actually works. Hawks have a hard time focusing on the biddies. Ive been doing this for a couple years now, looks funny but works

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    Ya I think we set our new record last week. N I hope we all get a good soaking n y'all do too. N ya should be a good weekend but if you got a water source you should see action all day I would think.

We dont, the only water hole around us is around 2 miles north of our huntling land. Nobody hunts that land tho land owner wont allow no one. Thats a good thing a way, with or being dry as its been someone couldve done nearly wiped out all the deer withing a 7 mile radius probably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbgamefarm View Post
    If you guys got any old movies (DVD) that are scratched up you can tie em around your farm on tree branches, the wind spins them and when the sun hits them it will just about blind ya momentarily. I thought this was b.s from a friend but it actually works. Hawks have a hard time focusing on the biddies. Ive been doing this for a couple years now, looks funny but works

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk
    We tried that a while back it works, but i get migraines pretty regular and when i catch a glare off one of the cds it triggers a migraine for me. Had to take them down.lol

18. Likes roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgreyman14 View Post
    We dont, the only water hole around us is around 2 miles north of our huntling land. Nobody hunts that land tho land owner wont allow no one. Thats a good thing a way, with or being dry as its been someone couldve done nearly wiped out all the deer withing a 7 mile radius probably.
    Water trough n a clean IBC tote or couple barrels might be better than any green field or corn pile ever was for yall. I see em watering with our horses all the time.

Last edited by Nauvoo; November 19th, 2016 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]

no yotes yet, caught this guy in horse stall( guessing he is what killed a bird in there the other day), didn't want to blow a hole in the wall so he got the bow..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkus View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

no yotes yet, caught this guy in horse stall( guessing he is what killed a bird in there the other day), didn't want to blow a hole in the wall so he got the bow..
    Nice shot placement friend, happy hunting!

22. Likes roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had 2 dogs get in my Yard, killed a little over 20 Cocks. Just before the start of my season, damn Strays. I guess I'm breeding heavy this season. All I can do is keep this ship moving forward. Anyway just needed to Vent, man does this SUCK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

24. Likes White thai, LaBlue, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been lucky, ive only ever lost one bird to a dog, nothing else.
    can't imagine the feeling of seeing all that hard work gone like that.
    fingers crossed, i never do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hidalgo View Post
    Just had 2 dogs get in my Yard, killed a little over 20 Cocks. Just before the start of my season, damn Strays. I guess I'm breeding heavy this season. All I can do is keep this ship moving forward. Anyway just needed to Vent, man does this SUCK

I know how you feel, I lost about all I had this week myself. Not as many as you but didn't have that many to start with. Been trying to get started back for the past 6 or 7 years . When I finally got brood fowl back that I knew were good and had owned before then I couldn't raise hardly any. Last couple years Iv hatch off quite a few and raised a total of zero from various varmits, snakes now dogs.First thought it was coyotes but I found a few bodies just killed not eaten . I know about only dogs do that.I started back the right way by building new brood pens but screwed around and let me wants get ahead of my needs and went ahead and started getting fowl when I should have been building a new lot. I knew better but I went ahead anyway. Not sure yet if Ill try to bounce back from it or just be one of them ol spectators from here on out. Nothing like that to put a man out of heart in this business for sure.
    Last edited by Skincarver; January 11th, 2019 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hidalgo View Post

Thatís bad news. I hope you did not loose any brood fowl???

28. Likes White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    I know how you feel, I lost about all I had this week myself. Not as many as you but didn't have that many to start with. Been trying to get started back for the past 6 or 7 years . When I finally got brood fowl back that I knew were good and had owned before then I couldn't raise hardly any. Last couple years Iv hatch off quite a few and raised a total of zero from various varmits, snakes now dogs.First thought it was coyotes but I found a few bodies just killed not eaten . I know about only dogs do that.I started back the right way by building new brood pens but screwed around and let me wants get ahead of my needs and went ahead and started getting fowl when I should have been building a new lot. I knew better but I went ahead anyway. Not sure yet if Ill try to bounce back from it or just be one of them ol spectators from here on out. Nothing like that to put a man out of heart in this business for sure.
    Work on your pens and get them in good shape. I can probably raise some extra this spring that you can use for brood fowl the following season.

30. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Likes shufflehard, White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get you a good dog....................................

32. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Likes White thai, LaBlue, yard bird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A good dog is better than a good fence imo

34. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm just glad they didn't get to my Broodstock. I do have a dog and they kinda beat her up too. I have to take her to the Vet, shes got a gash on the side of her ear. Really bad Morning my Friends

36. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know of anyone getting rid of a guardian dog or pups? Been trying like hell to get my yard done so I can get some fowl but lost my guardian dog the other day I had for my yard. I'm pretty damn close on my yard finally. Maybe I can get someone to post a video and pics for me on my yard thread I can't get them to post worthy anymore

Post Thanks / Like

I was having owl problems 3-4 months ago. I lost 4 cocks in 8-10 days. Usually I can get an owl but this one would come every other night and kill a fresh cock rather than going yo the dead one. It hit a few more cocks but the dogs saved them as they made some noise. Anyway I bought 10 of these solar powered motion lights. They are bright. I haven't lost another. Bird. They stay on for 15 seconds. Just thought this may help someone.

39. Likes White thai, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got rid of a owl just the other night I have a sears and roebuck 12 gage and he didn't like that at all now my wife's egg hens are safe again

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

41. Likes LaBlue, White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbirds View Post
    Work on your pens and get them in good shape. I can probably raise some extra this spring that you can use for brood fowl the following season.
    Thanks I appreciate the offer . May try and take you up on it once Ive decided what Im gonna do for sure and get the place set up better. Im sure everybody has their ups and downs its just hard to keep sticking with it year in year out with little to no return. Ive got a pair of my old Rubles left and a couple Mclean hens and one pair of Greys . I don't plan on getting rid of them . Just haven't decided yet if Ill keep trying to raise any or not. Like many have said without a good dog and good fence youre setting yourself up for failure eventually. Even then at some point youre likely to lose a few sometime or another. But when you only got a few to start with it can be a rough lick.

43. Likes White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can lose them too. why no try breeding two settings from each hens.... get them lights on get a brooder ready.. after a month or so let em out.. you can do a few nice crosses blends infusions with what ya got.. or gripe. Jmo.

“pair of greys x pair of rubles plus some McLean hens” sounds like you have some breedings to do.

“strong survive”
    Last edited by CA whitetoppy06; January 12th, 2019 at 06:03 AM.

45. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I trapped and killed 29 coons in 2018 an 8-10 other critters to boot. I don't breed a ton but kept a good part of last season alive with advice from a buddy of mine. Alot of 3am shooting went on I went to war with em, better than losing what I've got.
    Last edited by HCGF; January 12th, 2019 at 06:45 AM.

47. Likes LaBlue, White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yard bird View Post
    A good dog is better than a good fence imo
    Its depence on where you live. In my place the bigest problem are humans. A fence is always good . A dog is also good but they can poisen the dog. Cctv camera a very good protector. You can see what comming in and kulls your fowl. I can see a rat walk in the dark with infrared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White thai View Post
    Its depence on where you live. In my place the bigest problem are humans. A fence is always good . A dog is also good but they can poisen the dog. Cctv camera a very good protector. You can see what comming in and kulls your fowl. I can see a rat walk in the dark with infrared.
    I'd say a 12 ga is the best option for your place lol