Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i make a gamefowl feed mix?

Post Thanks / Like

how do i make a gamefowl feed mix?

Hi i just currently got my first gamefowl and i was wondering how can i mix some food for it. Currently i searched my local feed stores and they dont seem to have anything near what i have read on this site. Ive tried searching on this site about mixing options but they all include large amounts of seeds. I just have a gamefowl and a couple of chicken. Any input on how to mix a good feed?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how do i make a gamefowl feed mix?

Try to find a good pre mixed feed. Where are you from? Maybe a member close can help.

Post Thanks / Like

look at what of the country u live in study the weather and weather patterns.study what grain u can get the some out of for ur fowl.but if u want something just to feed.go get 8 way scratch rabbit feed and some horse feed.should be mixed 50 pound 8-way 25 rabbit and 25 horse feed

Post Thanks / Like

check local feed mills man. some have awesome feed. I'm lucky enough to have a mill that has good stuff. also check around for bluebonnet feed, it's good stuff too

Post Thanks / Like

im located in Riverside CA in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

what would be considered a good pre mixed? what kinda seeds should i be looking for?

Post Thanks / Like

They be some one can help you. Might be a few hours or minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cesar44 View Post
    what would be considered a good pre mixed? what kinda seeds should i be looking for?
    Whole corn, wheat, Milo, Oats- (maybe sunflower-pigeon peas-Safflower-oat groats) -layer and other pellets to boost protein.

9. Likes cesar44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input. Do you happen to know what measurements i should use for the portion of each seed?

Post Thanks / Like

im located in Riverside CA in the US.
    We was talking in another thread about how slim Pickens good premixed feed was. My feed stores carry one brand. No competition. So the prices are somewhat steep. But a couple members from cali was saying there feed stores have multiple options and because of that more reasonable prices on there pre mixed feed. Better question is to find which feed stores nearest you have that selection.

12. Likes BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input. Do you happen to know what measurements i should use for the portion of each seed?
    Just a even mix. A good maintenance feed of around 14% protein. I would work on finding a good place to buy feed local. Google can help!

14. Likes laguardia liked this post
    steel city

If u can get bluebonnet there try it. It's a really good feed kinda pricey but good quality. That's what I feed. I ha e to drive hour and half to get it but it's worth it to me

16. Thanks madmex thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks i appreciate your guys help

Disciple

Main thing to consider is the protein level for each stage, chicks, adults, older birds, hens etc. For chicks a good chick starter at 20% protein is good to start them on until you can start mixing whole grains like oats and wheat then later whole corn. I'm not a fan of cracked grain but some give cracked corn. don't ever feed lay crumbles to chicks until there 4 1/2 months old that high calcium content is not good for them and can cause liver, kidney, and bone problems. Calcium can also kill chicks in extreme cases. Some like to grow them fast and some like to grow them slow. You can accomplish this by the protien content in the feed. Maintenance can be as an example 14 % to 18 % I prefer 14 % . Hens that are laying need 16 % protien and access to oyster shell for the calcium they need to produce eggs. You can mix your own feed and you should check with feed stores in your area as to what they carry. You can mix a good feed with a good crumble and or pellet plus some whole grains mixed in and your birds will do just fine. Make sure they have access to granite grit at all times so they grind there feed good and keep a strong healthy gizzard. Mixing your own feed is cheaper then the Gamecock mixes but if you only have a few birds and don't want to mix your own then if you can find a good premix that will be good in your situation. Check Tractor supply they carry different pellets and crumbles for chicks and hens. They also carry corn, oats, catfish pellets, rabbit pellets, sweet feed etc. There prices are very reasonable and there feed is clean and fresh. Also most feed stores sell pellets and grains buy the pound wich would be your best bet since you only have a few birds, but believe me that will change soon once you start raising up some chicks. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Disciple; September 17th, 2016 at 03:19 AM.

19. Likes Brettjern liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you only have 5-6 fowl, I'd get a gamecock mix or a bag of laying pellets and a bag of clean scratch feed. Keep it simple until you have more birds and you can buy a few more bags to mix with what you have.

21. Thanks Champion farms thanked for this post
    Likes jemm65, Cajun_Agimat, LJ15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi i just currently got my first gamefowl and i was wondering how can i mix some food for it. Currently i searched my local feed stores and they dont seem to have anything near what i have read on this site. Ive tried searching on this site about mixing options but they all include large amounts of seeds. I just have a gamefowl and a couple of chicken. Any input on how to mix a good feed?
    if you’re just beginning and only have a few to feed you might want to stick with pre mixed feed from poultry supply. looking for all the ingredients and calculating the mixture to get a balanced feed is too much of a hassle. keep it simple. fis

Post Thanks / Like

Look for TMZ feeds they are in the Cali area , they have several options to choose from shouldn't be hard to get advice from a local feed store. Also check out the ugba web site and get in touch with someone from your area that's in the California gamefowl breeders and they can help you . Hope this helps yfis country

24. Likes southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list of Gamecock feeds that are at least 15% protein.. Mexicali, Lang, Chavez, Colorado. 4 points. They are all available in Riverside. Stay away from the the TMZ it is poor quality all around.... I feed Colorado. Most are 15% Protein and will do the job...
    thanks i appreciate your guys help

26. Likes TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

50 lbs #1 pigeon feed 16% triple cleaned
    20 lbs whole corn
    20 lbs wheat
    20lbs oat groats
    20 lbs 20% lay pellets
    I like to use Bluebonnet feed if you can get it . This mix will put you at about 16 % protein. You can mix it at 5 lbs & 2 lbs if you want too . This was the mix Ron Chappell had in the Riverview keep .

28. Likes Quapaw Kid, turbo_harpoon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get it everywhere in riverside I live in riverside tmc is gamefowl mix in riverside the feed store in peris saves feed and seed in San Jacinto ran ho feed pm me if you need more info

30. Thanks Randy12388 thanked for this post
    Likes BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When do you guys start feeding them this mix iam new to gamefowl and my birds are 2-3 months old I have them grow/start crumbles when do I switch them over and do I feed the hens the same mix or later pellets?

Post Thanks / Like

Cesar I recommend just feeding layer pellets. They already have everything fowl need. I have a few hundred and that is all i feed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    If you only have 5-6 fowl, I'd get a gamecock mix or a bag of laying pellets and a bag of clean scratch feed. Keep it simple until you have more birds and you can buy a few more bags to mix with what you have.
    what i wrote was just an echo of yours. i’m slow at typing and by the time i didn’t see. lol. shudda stayed during typing class... but the roos are calling. fis

34. Likes turbo_harpoon, country, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 part whole corn 1 part whole oats 1 part laying pellets soak your oats and corn drain it mix your laying pellets I know some guys that have feed that way for many year and there fowl always healthy and look really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jemm65 View Post
    what i wrote was just an echo of yours. i’m slow at typing and by the time i didn’t see. lol. shudda stayed during typing class... but the roos are calling. fis
    I here ya jemm65, I posted the other day and it looked like I was setting in class looking over BamaOkies shoulder. His post popped up a second before mine. I'll just say great minds think alike. Lol you always give good info I think.

37. Thanks jemm65 thanked for this post
    Likes RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a PM Cesar.... Give me a call

Post Thanks / Like

I mix corn sunflower seeds sweetfeed RoosterMix 20%Laypellets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Bryant Rooster Mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    That is sound advice............

Post Thanks / Like

Go go to pelayos feed in rubidoux it's off of mission they have plenty of premixed feeds that are good just I forgot which bags we buy I think it's made by tmc