Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Advice yo can bank on!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner Advice yo can bank on!!!

Don't buy a brood trio first. Buy crosses that suit your type of show FIRST, then, if you like them, buy the trios that make up that cross. Buying trios from different breeders and crossing them will in most instances disappoint you. Why waste time with unproven crosses. It's hard enough with proven crosses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
    Beginner question do most handle there own fowl at the show and keep stall there own or they let somebody else do that. Is it best to incubate or let the hen do it.
    i dont handle,but i condition my own(to ol an stove up to handle)
    hen hatching is the way to go if practical(i keep detailed records on everything) mother nature is always best an natural is always the best way to go,be it hatching,feeding,raising,conditioning,etc.
    once again i cant stress enough dont raise from or use a wild crazy hen to set.they are mentally unstable an will raise mentally unstable chicks.
    personally i dont like raising from super high stationed fowl,yeah they look good but they tend to get knocked off easily and dont tend to cut near as well as a good medium to medium high stationed cock.
    raise your fowl with the best care possible,get them in the best shape possible,heel with the most effective weapon possible at 2 year old.if you aint satisfied with them get rid of them,you will never be satisfied with them.
    just some observations from my delusional mind based on over 40 yrs of observation

3. Thanks Camoman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

another good idea is to every so often catch up a cock an pack him around as you are around your chicken yard,pet him an gently rub his ears(they LOVE having their ears rubbed) makes em gentle an look forward to being picked up.
    be patient picking them up an when setting him back down let him slowly walk out of your hands
    gentle mentally stable fowl make better fowl and are a joy to work with an the more fun you have around them the more you will do which means more W;s on the board
    hope this helps,yfis

5. Thanks Camoman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A fella told me years ago that the only way to double your in roosters is fold it up and put it in your pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Theres no magic fowl . No magic familys. When you have a family of fowl that are game and honest . you keep them and try make them better . The best fowl youll most likely have will be giving to you . From a mentor or a friend . And Dont waste your time with manfighters .

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Best Beginner Advice that you can bank on is........People Will Lie to YOU!!!!
    If you are a beginner and calling or visiting gamefarms, there will be breeders who will lie to you just to get you to buy their fowl.
    When showing fowl, People Will Lie to YOU!!!!
    Find yourself a Mentor, a real Mentor, someone who will be there not just to give advice on breeding, selecting, and showing fowl but also to protect you from those who want to take advantage of you because you are a beginner.

Cajun Agimat

9. Likes kywolf, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Figure out if you want game cocks or pit game cocks.Most people in the sport never seen a game cock.Most breeders have pit game game roosters and a lot of them don't even have that.Just remember the gamest birds sometimes are not the winningest.Find what you like and go with it.Also good year round care you have to put the time and money in it.

11. Likes kywolf, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In this order: Fence, guardian dog, pens, THEN chickens. Don't buy cause there pretty. Go see them first. Your first birds should ONLY be crosses. No hens. Learn how to care for them, properly feed, delouse, worm, keep at proper weight.
    Save yourself time and money dont medicate, cull. It's what's going to be the end result anyway, wether it's at your home or the pit.

Post Thanks / Like

Always understand that a lot of things pertaining to this hobby is trial and error. You can cut a lot of that out if you are lucky enough to hook up with a good successful mentor,and if you are smart enough to pay attention. If you become a know it all you will be in for a long road. If your lucky enough to hook up and gain the trust of a good mentor you should feel fortunate. It's even more of a blessing if the mentor eventually trust you enough to gift you broodfowl from established families. Understand a lot of people have been in this game along time, but they never figure this game out. In my opinion you need to be careful who you hook up with. I would advise if you can ,find you someone that keeps and maintains at the most 2 or three families. I have found through the years that some folks just raise family after family and are forever just looking for breeds of chickens. I have noticed also that the majority of successful cockers keep a limited number of families that compliment each other well. Just a thought take it with a grain of salt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkla2 View Post
    Always understand that a lot of things pertaining to this hobby is trial and error. You can cut a lot of that out if you are lucky enough to hook up with a good successful mentor,and if you are smart enough to pay attention. If you become a know it all you will be in for a long road. If your lucky enough to hook up and gain the trust of a good mentor you should feel fortunate. It's even more of a blessing if the mentor eventually trust you enough to gift you broodfowl from established families. Understand a lot of people have been in this game along time, but they never figure this game out. In my opinion you need to be careful who you hook up with. I would advise if you can ,find you someone that keeps and maintains at the most 2 or three families. I have found through the years that some folks just raise family after family and are forever just looking for breeds of chickens. I have noticed also that the majority of successful cockers keep a limited number of families that compliment each other well. Just a thought take it with a grain of salt.
    Very good advice . Remember this rookies

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

15. Thanks arkla2 thanked for this post
    Likes kywolf, arkla2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say one big thing a new guy should look for is a breed that is know to calm down and handle easy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

17. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice would be to keep your business to yourself! Be very careful about what you say & who you say it to.

19. Likes kywolf, country, Al Sanchez, Cajun_Agimat, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shut your mouth and open your ears. Open your eyes and pay attention to details

Post Thanks / Like

Save up your BANK ROLL. Never bet more than you can afford to loose. Winning at first asking, don't let it go to your head. You are most likely to learn more when you lose. Losing money, will sharpen your senses, it did mine. Culling the losers ahead of time is an art onto itself. People that lack the eye for culling, should use the bobby boles method. Lace up your gamefowl in their weapon. All of bobbys roosters were already a one time winner.

O Ya good luck on finding good gamefowl for sale. That's the hardest part of being a beginner.

22. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What they say "you get what you pay for" so in other words spend the money and buy SUPER roosters or selected breeding fowl. And always keep them HAPPY.

24. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But also remember in this game you dont always get what you pay for. If you go to buy fowl and you dont know what your doing, take someone with you that does.
    Last edited by arkla2; April 21st, 2017 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A beginner thought, listen, read and be careful what you ask. Talked to some real good cockers and some fly by nights,what a difference. Listen well grasshopper.

Post Thanks / Like

Play them when they r ready not when u r.

28. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Likes kywolf, MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quit Now...Don't raise any and find another sport....We do it because it is our life style not for the sport. If it isn't in your blood don't raise any or try and show any. If you are serious and want to dedicate 24 hours a day for the next 50 or so years move to another country where it is legal and medication/vaccines are available.

30. Likes kywolf, nem76 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man more good info in this thread than I got in my first decade. But was a one year experience ten times over kind of beginner. Only thing I can come up with is don't ruin your brood cock by messing with his hen's, handling in molt. Never let peer pressure pit your birds. If someone wants you to prove that he is worthy of a brood pen tell them come back in two years. Be proud of your birds. Let them grow up, mature cocks show very different than a stag. You won't learn squat about your family competing stags. Unless that's your goal. Cut a tree and buy a hatchet. Losing to the stump is cheapest way to cull. When you do get to a derby and lose show respect for the bird and your aponant. If no when you lose learn from it. The other bird was better and rarely lucky. Usually the breeder feeder handler make their own luck by doing the work with no shortcuts. Nuf said.

32. Likes kywolf, MONGOOSE, Nauvoo, Camoman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beginners luck is a dime a dozen. Don't let it go to your head. Everyone usually gets a turn "winning" & "losing". Take it in stride. This rule doesn't just apply to competing. It applies to raising fowl too. Sometimes it's an easy year and sometimes not one damn thing goes right----- neighbors dog, owls, hawks, bobcats, bacteria/viruses, crazy mean other mama hens killing other chicks!, hens won't set, hens won't lay, hens eat eggs. It's always something.

34. Likes Randymj19, Krackers Koop, Nauvoo, Camoman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Beginners luck is a dime a dozen. Don't let it go to your head. Everyone usually gets a turn "winning" & "losing". Take it in stride. This rule doesn't just apply to competing. It applies to raising fowl too. Sometimes it's an easy year and sometimes not one damn thing goes right----- neighbors dog, owls, hawks, bobcats, bacteria/viruses, crazy mean other mama hens killing other chicks!, hens won't set, hens won't lay, hens eat eggs. It's always something.
    And when everything is going good something bad is going to happen lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36. Likes Randymj19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizzard n tassl View Post
    And when everything is going good something bad is going to happen lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, you got that right. Just keep staring at your favorite baby stag. It's a death sentence......................

38. Thanks hoghunterdave thanked for this post
    Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust no one except your mommy,daddy and your brother or sister.

40. Likes Cajun_Agimat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you don't have enough time or you have to go from home far away for working better find another hobby. Don't trust anybody who take cares for your birds. No one will take care for your birds ash yourself. It's heart and soul rock and roll. You spend years on them and somebody who you think you can trust they mash up all your flock.

42. Thanks nem76 thanked for this post
    Likes kywolf, Cajun_Agimat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nem76 View Post
    Trust no one except your mommy,daddy and your brother or sister.
    You are correct nem76! When I moved from Louisiana to West Virginia, I couldn't bring all of my fowl with me because I just couldn't find enough land close enough to work so I ended up paying my cousin to take care of my birds for me. Kept some in both states and worked out pretty good until after 2 years I visited Louisiana and my fowl again and the fowl that were still alive were not in the same shape and looked pretty awful and had to cull everything I had left in Louisiana.
    I eventually moved back to Louisiana, I still had a home and property here, so my family and myself moved back but I am down to just the fowl I originally brought with me to WV.
    So yeah... Nem76 is right about only trusting your parents and or siblings but I would add of course my wife and son to the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_Agimat View Post
    You are correct nem76! When I moved from Louisiana to West Virginia, I couldn't bring all of my fowl with me because I just couldn't find enough land close enough to work so I ended up paying my cousin to take care of my birds for me. Kept some in both states and worked out pretty good until after 2 years I visited Louisiana and my fowl again and the fowl that were still alive were not in the same shape and looked pretty awful and had to cull everything I had left in Louisiana.
    I eventually moved back to Louisiana, I still had a home and property here, so my family and myself moved back but I am down to just the fowl I originally brought with me to WV.
    So yeah... Nem76 is right about only trusting your parents and or siblings but I would add of course my wife and son to the list.
    On my list off people who I can trust no wife no son no daughter no family. Nobody I trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Must be lonely in your world. Trust them love them forgive them family means more than pride. You can get more birds.

46. Likes Cajun_Agimat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its been said many times that this hobby isnt for everyone, well ill elaborate alittle about that statement. If you are a person who is easy to get discouraged stay away from this hobby, because there will come times you will possibly get your feelings hurt and while your licking your wounds you will be self centered to the point of neglecting the fowl. Whiners,tittybabys,sore losers,lazy,people need not apply. You not only look bad, you make other folks not want to be around you. If you feel the need to argue about everything, good luck finding anyone who will open up and teach you anything. If you are an impatient person, you most likely will have a hard time in this game. Your impatients will lead to all kinds of issues, impatients leads to stupid choices. You wont make them mature or grow any faster because your ready for them to be ready. If you have a problem keeping your word you will be shunned by the folks that would help you the most and they may never even say a word to you about it, they just wont help you anymore. ABOVE ALL ELSE, if a man trust you enough to allow you access to his fowl, come hell or high water you better treat them like gold. The one thing in this game that can lead to a serious problem is mishandling fowl that a man has loaned or gifted you. You may not realize the importance of this, but it is the ultimate sin against a roosterman. Bad things that are out of your control will happen, but if something like that happens you let the man know now, not later. If you barter with the mans fowl in anyway- go hide now, things will never be the same between yall and nothing you can do or say will change that!! FIS ARKLA
    Last edited by arkla2; April 22nd, 2017 at 06:12 PM.

48. Thanks hoghunterdave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

one thing that I see causes a lot of dead or damaged birds (aside from 2x4 wire) is roosts that go through the wire. Sure enough you put a branch through the wire on your favorite stag or hen and I'll just about bet that bird will roost right up against the side of the wire which makes it an easy target. Attach the roost to a solid wall at center of the pen instead. And if you use tiecords make sure they are anchored in a solid manner. I have all my stakes in a half bottle of concrete which is then dug down and buried using a pair of post hole diggers and a rock bar to tamp the soil tight overtop.

50. Likes Cajun_Agimat, kywolf, Camoman liked this post