Thread: High pointed Gaffs

Post Thanks / Like

High pointed Gaffs

Every once in a while we discuss the subject of gaffs and their various aspects. We don't change any minds and don't really solve any thing but its a fun discussion none the less. This time I would like to take a look at the use of High pointed Gaffs. Now most people know that the great Henry Wortham liked High pointed gaffs and scoffed at the idea of using anything else. Most know too that he won A LOT! Some say he was the wining-est Cocker of all time. Now that part is very debatable but we all know he won a great deal and that he did it with gaffs with very high points. For a very long time Tom Spurrier was his Gaff man and Tom would only make Gaffs with an extremely high point. His rule of thumb was an inch above the socket.

For those who don't Know that is one super high point. In fact most of us would have never considered using such a high pointed gaff. So how did those high points win for Him? Well The heels he used were of a Jagger type that dropped then curved up, but a large portion on the blade was actually real straight. Now in use the right Cock had to merely reach out and get that point in a little flesh and the force of the two Cocks going backward from kicking just pulled the blade in and it pulled it in DEEP. The cock didn't really have to hit to get the gaff buried in. And another thing that was true about Henry was that he wanted the first two pittings, He claimed that that's where the fight was won. Now for him that was true. But Henry was no dummy because he selected Cocks that used those high points well.

Henry liked Good breakers that reached. He liked a good shuffler as opposed to a single stroke bird. Henry liked Straight comb yellow legged reds but would take white leg. But he did not like Pea comb birds. He also did not care for Greys, Blacks, Blues, Whites or most anything but Reds. He is said to have detested Japs or Asils. I can see why as I doubt he would have won 20% with Jap crosses with the heels he used. Now other folks used high pointed Gaffs as well but None were as successful as Henry was. But I doubt many people used them as exclusively as he did. I actually had a set of super high pointed gaffs back in the 90s but I sold them. I never had the guts to tie them on anything. Boy Ol Henry would have thought I was Nuts! And you know I wasn't doing real well then, Maybe I should have tied them on!!

2. Likes danitor, lawgreyman14, eaglebeak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: High pointed Gaffs

White leather are Rex's spurs, brown are a close copy made by Jimmy Horn

The guy that got all of Rex Miners stuff sent me this

Lucas

4. Likes Shrek, danitor, don128, chad123, eaglebeak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if my old age lets me remember correctly, the true duke 74's were pretty high-pointed. i would always buy 74's and request a medium point. somehow i ended up with a pair of the higher point 74's. kept putting them aside. one night, i was called up to meet a good guy that i respected and liked that was going for the money. i decided to use the high 74's. i had a hard-hitting hatch cock. needless to say, that hatch cock was awesome with those spurs. when he hit the other rooster, he seemed to be able to pull him in. since that time, always just got the true 74's. another advantage of that is when they are wore some you get a medium point spur, not low pointed.
    anyway, just my opinion. jc

6. Likes KevinG, chad123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

high point gaffs work very well on high breakin reachin type cocks.but they are a disadvantage on them when they become tired an sick an they are bad about hanging the pit floor causing broken legs.i prefer a mediium point

8. Likes MarshButcher, HeavyD, chad123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always liked mine straight. Regulation is the pattern I liked most but if I could find a straight pair to add to my historical collection. I would. I bet a good cutting Claret would be deadly in a pair of one and a half inch straight gaffs

Post Thanks / Like

I only fowl I've ever raised that really could swing a set of high points were some little Kent mugs i had in the late 80s... They did great work with my high points & i got a lot of 1 & 2 pitting wins with them.

11. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes kywolf, KevinG, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my dad would only tie a regulation curve blade on his clarets an he won a very good precentage.not sure if anyone makes this pattern anymore but it was like a regulation with a little curve coming off the hub

13. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The curve blade is still very popular. About half as high as the gaffs shown but with a gentle curve all the way from socket to point.

15. Likes southernX, KevinG, KAHUNA NO KA OI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    The curve blade is still very popular. About half as high as the gaffs shown but with a gentle curve all the way from socket to point.
    the regulation curve blades my dad used were made by Spur King an were a good all around heel.
    back to the high point heels dad would occasionally tie on a set of hooks onhis old grey viberators.they took high point heelto the limits lol.does anyone have a pic of a set of hooks?brings back good ol memories

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post

Lucas

thx for post Lucas, these are very high point. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post

Lucas
    This pic brings back nightmares lol. Jimmy horn was a friend of mine. Grady malone loved those high points. We used them on some old shorty greys out a sunset one time. They were fine birds but couldn't cut for crap with the those gaffs. In my opinion they just didn't have the right style to point a gaff lIke that. We went 3-1. And fought for day money but every fight was an hour long drag. Pretty much beat them to death with the back of the gaff haha. With the right bird they are deadly for sure

Post Thanks / Like

May 1982 45th Anniversary Issue "The Gamecock" magazine article by Frank "Narrangansett" Shy with some gaff pointers.

The Past - Present - Future

By Narragansett

SIXTY AND MORE YEARS AGO THE EMPHASIS ON GAME FOWL in the Northeast short heel territory was all upon power and heavy hitting. A cock could be low-headed, a ducker, but if he struck a power house blow when he did strike and could absorb ten shallow cuts to every one he delivered himself he was considered a top cock and what you wanted in your brood yard. Those were in the slow heel days of the Thompson Mahoganies, the old-time Hatch, the Styker Whitehackles, the famous Tom Foley Pit in New York, and the Mike Kearney and Dad Gleeson fowl.

The conditioners used to concentrate on setting down cocks which were big for their opponents so that the smaller bird could not reach that vital points when tired. Old Mike Kearney used to work down and dry out what today we would consider a 5-02 bird and bring him to the pit at 4-04. He looked like a shake fighting a pigeon. He would not cut down the litte fellow, rather he would stomp him down. With the short, heavy, dull straight heels in use those days he would win more often than he lost.

Those were the main days - no derbies or tournaments. Each entry furnished a set of heels which were used alternately by both contestants. Of course the party with the "big for their weight" birds always showed the slowest heels he could find, usually with an extremely wide side set. I have the set which Mr. Hatch used in all his mains. You would be interested in seeing them, but you would not think of using them. Many times I ran up against heels with so wide a side set that I would reverse the heels; that is, put the right heel on the left leg in order to get the point to where I wanted it.

The fowl of those days had to be extra game to absorb all the punishment they received before they eventually pounded down or stomped down their opponent. But the emphasis was on power, power, power, and smash, smash, smash.

Then in the late 20's and early 30's the Northern short heel cockers became interested in the big national long heel tournaments in Florida. Con Albright ran most of them in Orlando and St. Augustine. Top entries were there from all over the country: Madigan and Kelso from Texas, Gay from Kentucky, Law from Illinois, Willis Holding from North Carolina, and so on. Sixteen entries all together with the event lasting four days where every entry met every other entry which is the fairest type of competition there is for multiple entries

Well! The Northern cockers got their eyes opened to the importance of fast striking, instant breaking, high headedness, and deep body cutting with those long heels. Their slow, ducking, second striking, non-breaking chickens didn't stand a chance. On the other hand, the long heel Southern cockers were tremendously impressed with the power, smash and gameness of the Northern short heel fowl. Each side determined then and there to acquire the other side's fowl in order to improve their own. In no time at all the fast, fragile long heel fowl invaded the North and the slow, powerful short heel fowl invaded the South with the result that a composite was accomplished in both areas.

20. Thanks CajunDevil, kywolf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mentor was very much like Henry Wortham in what he liked as far as type roosters and type gaffs. He felt that the high point gaff did more damage with the style his roosters had. Straight comb, yellow and white legs was what he showed. His notion was the high point gaff went in and did damage moving inside the body instead of just going in and out. He was very successful with the high points and the style roosters he showed in them.

22. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

24. Likes Shrek, kywolf, don128, Noshow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thats taking things to the extreme,i call them leg breakers.but seriously some breeds cut better with those big ol hooks

26. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My fowl would be at a disadvantage in the high pointed gaffs as they are primarily single stroke fowl. They hit multiple times at the get-go and will shuffle quite a bit but then settle down to a good solid single stroke. A 1 1/4" medium point gaff suits them best but like Boston Murphy I would prefer the old time peg awls where gameness and power will come through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kywolf View Post
    thats taking things to the extreme,i call them leg breakers.but seriously some breeds cut better with those big ol hooks
    Ah, everyone has their preference. I mean no disrespect to anyone that does, but if it were legal, I wouldn't tie a set of low points, or a regulation on a duck. The whole "leg breakers" talk is more or less an excuse. I will say with the twisters you get a few more pulled out of socket but gotta live with that if that's what you wanna tie on them. Generally, when that happens the other rooster is alot worse off when it gets pulled out lol...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the bayonet type. It's more like the Filipino type setting. Low point for oriental birds or maybe regulation.