Thread: Why hens are eating there eggs??

Post Thanks / Like

Why hens are eating there eggs??

I have a friend I was at his place yesterday and he probably has around 75 hens and almost everyone of them are eating there eggs can anybody help with this is it a deficiency or what he has cut some of there bills but we just don't understand please help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why hens are eating there eggs??

I once had two of prettiest hens I ever had,except the pink pullet that the raccoons got .
    nest sisters both ate eggs no matter what I did.
    only two hens that never would stop.I gave them away to a animal pet farm.

Post Thanks / Like

You can change the style of nest used n get some to stop. Its not the answer to why they're eating their eggs but it can stop them nonetheless. At least I've had good luck with it. I use a plastic tote about 12" wide, 17" deep n 13" tall with lid, get em at Walmart or similar for around $5. Cut hole in one end, nail 2x4 crossways close enough to the front/hole to "square up" the nest. I dunno if it's cause its a darker nest or the 2x4 wont allow them to just stand inside where they can bust the egg but I've had quite a few quit with these nests.

Wayside Gamefarm UGBA, ALGBA, and MSGBA Member

4. Likes kywolf, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bigger nest full of shavings and straw with some carpet ripped in stripes over the front. That almost always works. An ax will work if that doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coker1988 View Post
    I have a friend I was at his place yesterday and he probably has around 75 hens and almost everyone of them are eating there eggs can anybody help with this is it a deficiency or what he has cut some of there bills but we just don't understand please help
    Chicken blinders cost almost nothing and work well.

7. Likes LaBlue, kywolf, southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was having the same problem. I asked an old timer about it and he said feed them all the egg shells they can eat and they will quit. I saved our breakfast egg shells for a week and fed them to them and they aren't eating the eggs at all anymore

9. Likes Krackers Koop, LJ15, laguardia, BamaOkie, RDH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I bigger nest full of shavings and straw with some carpet ripped in stripes over the front. That almost always works. An ax will work if that doesn't.

I'm with you on that instead I'd use a pvc pipe one time over the head there lights out lol

Post Thanks / Like

A proper nest design is a must to correct egg eaters. First and most important is the size of the nest. Too big a nest will let the hen look down and eat eggs. You want it to fit like a glove and once the hen is inside, she should not have enough room to look down. I like to add golf balls into the nest box at all times. This will train them to ignore the eggs when they start laying. It may be a little late if they are gorging themselves on the eggs. Common sense dictates the use of sand and cedar shaving, to help make a proper bedding for the eggs. Some roosters can be the worst egg eaters. Some ground squirrels will steal eggs and hens try to fight them off the nest. This will cause broken eggs, if she is nesting.

If the above does not work, then a roll out nest or an ax may be your second best choice.

12. Likes Al Sanchez, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sand from the beach with lots of small broken shells and nest up not in the ground + a good high protein diet will cure that behavior, must of the time.

14. Likes southernX, BamaOkie, Al Sanchez, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oyster shell helps too green grass is another. I know a old boy breaks half a dozen eggs everyday in his hen yard for them to eat. He never has a problem. I wouldn't recommend that though.

16. Likes LJ15, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

most times one can prevent this by placing the nest box against the wall so the hen can barley get in and out. this is so they can't stand in front of nest and break and eat the eggs. this has worked for me. cigar

Post Thanks / Like

feedin oystershells will help if they are calcium deficent,an as was mentioned greens will help also.try an keep nest boxesin good shape an make it where the cock cant get in the nest an scratch the eggs out.it seems once they develop the taste for eggs its hard to stop them.hope this helps

19. Likes southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch the egg eaters they normally stand outside box and break and eat egg in box simple fix is to make it so they can't stand on outside and freely get to egg. I have fed oyster shell and they are fed good so it's just what some hens do. I fix by position of box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Likes RDH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I experienced hens eating their eggs. It was when it's hot and my waterer was empty. I also heard hens eating their eggs if they have mineral deficiency. Take note of those hens eating their eggs. Some who ate eggs will develop that habit. Build a trap nest with egg catcher.

23. Likes RLaurent14, RDH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a matter of nutrition and proper pen space try feeding soacked oats at mid day

25. Likes kywolf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Los Ivanes View Post
    Its a matter of nutrition and proper pen space try feeding soacked oats at mid day
    On a whole, most people take better care of their chickens then theire dogs.
    That said, who doesnt like fresh eggs in the morning?
    For the most part those hens are typical egg sucking Phuta's!
    Put blinders on them and stop cackling about it.

27. Likes LJ15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HMPK View Post
    I experienced hens eating their eggs. It was when it's hot and my waterer was empty. I also heard hens eating their eggs if they have mineral deficiency. Take note of those hens eating their eggs. Some who ate eggs will develop that habit. Build a trap nest with egg catcher.

this is trap nest and will work.... cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Put in the nest golf ball pick on the golf balls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

mcmurray hatchery sales hen glasses. they hook on through the nose. years ago, chicken house hens that produced hatching eggs all had glasses. never tried them so don't know if they work. i have some of them and gave a pair to a buddy whose hens were eating eggs. will let you know how they work. jc

Post Thanks / Like

Those blinders do work and nothing wrong with using them. But I've also seen nest setups that will fix them also. Just a FYI for anyone building new nests or just starting out, a proper nest n you'll never experience the problem (unless an egg gets layed outside the box).

Wayside Gamefarm UGBA, ALGBA, and MSGBA Member

32. Likes kywolf, TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's cause there hungry need to feed em

Post Thanks / Like

When I have an egg eater I do 2 things. I put either golf balls or ceramic eggs in the nest box so they get the idea that they can't eat them. 2- I feed them nothing but raw eggs for 4-5 days. This usually works but if it doesn't they get the raw eggs again for about another 5 days. That usually solved the problem.

35. Thanks LaBlue, louieybarra thanked for this post
    Likes Hayn/auzzi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fed raw eggs with success.
    Also any one ever wonder why when a hen is running around loose on the yard they don't have much problem with eating eggs? Or much of any problems at that? I thought about it and I came up with a few ideas. so it seems that chickens know how to keep themselves pretty healthy when they're free. So what are my hens that are running around getting that my hens that are locked up not getting? I'm sure there are many things to think about but one thing I do is I put 1 shovel of gravel in my brood pens. it seems to help there gizzard. is seems to work better than oyster shells for me. but I also use oyster shells.

Post Thanks / Like

Burn the tip of their beaks with a hot iron, just the tip less than one quarter of their beaks, put golf balls in their nests year round, feed them oyster shell, if you cant find oyster shell feed them the special mix for layers, this has lots of calcium. Put their nest in a dark pace. Oyster shell and golf balls should do the trick

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had more egg eaters this year than I ever had. I feed 20 percent pellet. Ive had several different breed of hens set good but hen they will just roll one out and snack on it, while still sitting on the other eggs. Its weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Good green grass clippings are good and could help problems.

40. Likes LJ15 liked this post