Thread: NEED GOOD ADVICE

Post Thanks / Like

NEED GOOD ADVICE

Ok so here's my situation
    I very much enjoy gamefowl breeding however I am in a bit of a situation ... when I first started into gamefowl I got most for free from a friend of mine who currently shows his chikens ... I received them for very low cost almost free because we are friends and also he said I would breed stags for him as this has happened over a few years I give him back the stags and I keep what I want for breeding. Now that I have amassed around 50+ chikens I'm close to capacity and they are becoming relatively expensive to keep properly as he is also at capacity (breed over 200+ stags for this season) indonnotnhave an outlet I do not want to kill my brokkcoks because each broodcocknrepresents a different bloodline... and I cannot sell them because since they came from my friend he says he doesn't want his bloodlines getting into his competitors hands, I have breed my own bloodlines separate from his own but I do not want to sell his blood witch is 90% of my fowl.... but I need to make this cost effective so I figured my options are
    - sell long distance (but I do not know how) (they are quality fowl I just do. It have a name as abeeeder as I have never sold them before)
    -sell very long distance
    - go behind him and risk him finding out
    - kill the chikens
    - find farms for them all to live on (this is extremely difficult)

also conider : I don't plan to raise fowl fo many more years as in a few I am moving away for college, but I would like to have fowl kept for me that I can get back after college to continue the breeding work I've done

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEED GOOD ADVICE

You need to worry more about college & your future rather than chickens right now. It's sounds like you are very young and not ready to properly raise & maintain a chicken yard. Forget about selling as that is not what this sport is about & your not ready for all that. Be honest by your friend who has helped you out. I would show what you have into each other & give your friend back the best & cull the rest. After college & you find a career & you have your own place, I would then start back with the roosters. My advice is to also only maintain two or three families of fowl. Anything more is counterproductive. Most people are just chicken raisers and not breeders.

Post Thanks / Like

Your word is your bond you can not sell his blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Jus give em back if not ask him if you could sale then outta state and if that don't work just let make chicken soup.... Not that hard really

5. Likes Al Sanchez, RDH, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

chicken soup,
    my K9 has consumed his fair share of chicken soup.

7. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are in a pickle. My best advise is to deal with your friend straight up. Perhaps he can help you out. I would definitely try to be a man of my word. He may understand and let you off the hook. So to say. Some people can get out of the bird business but it does get in your blood and is hard to shake. The funny thing about game fowl, they are very valuable if you don't want to sell them. Ain't worth much if you trying to sell them. I wish you well in all you do.

Post Thanks / Like

If he got 200+ 50 more wont matter and he should know college coming. Do it now b4 you got 200 to pen in the fall also!

10. Likes Al Sanchez, RDH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone say battle royal?!?!?! Me personally I'd run em into each other and keep the very best ones

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

I been out side going eny meany miny Moe. Got to many good hens to breed and all my pens are full. Culling half of them sounds better than building more pens. JMO, I aint scared use hatchet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner_15 View Post
    I very much enjoy gamefowl breeding however I am in a bit of a situation ... when I first started into gamefowl I got most for free from a friend of mine who currently shows his chikens ... I received them for very low cost almost free because we are friends and also he said I would breed stags for him as this has happened over a few years I give him back the stags and I keep what I want for breeding. Now that I have amassed around 50+ chikens I'm close to capacity and they are becoming relatively expensive to keep properly as he is also at capacity (breed over 200+ stags for this season) indonnotnhave an outlet I do not want to kill my brokkcoks because each broodcocknrepresents a different bloodline... and I cannot sell them because since they came from my friend he says he doesn't want his bloodlines getting into his competitors hands, I have breed my own bloodlines separate from his own but I do not want to sell his blood witch is 90% of my fowl.... but I need to make this cost effective so I figured my options are
    - sell long distance (but I do not know how) (they are quality fowl I just do. It have a name as abeeeder as I have never sold them before)
    -sell very long distance
    - kill the chikens

also conider : I don't plan to raise fowl fo many more years as in a few I am moving away for college, but I would like to have fowl kept for me that I can get back after college to continue the breeding work I've done
    I was in a similar situation a few years back..and I called up my friend asked him if he wanted anything back because I was gonna cull the rest. I didn't want to sell them because I knew he had given them to for myself and not to sell. I knew I could get the birds back once I had the chance so culled mostly everything.

My my advice is talk to your friend and come up with something that works for the both of you

14. Likes RDH, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why didn't you go to your friend with this problem? If I were in your shoes he would be the first and most important one to talk to about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Beginner_15, Nothing is free. I have some given to me, by a friend. I am not to let out the line. Nothing is free.

Nothing wrong with hen and pullet, chicken soup. Ass-suming its legal, you and your buddy can hack the males. I know its a bitch, not to really own your chickens, but a deal is a deal.

17. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he can't take them back,, challenge him to a main using his fowl against him. Keep the best and/or share with him. Also get ruthless on your culling. Hopefully you can win a few against him. Then you both will know what are the keepers

19. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't sell any fowl other than the person you got your materials from. Tell him about your situation and ask him if he could buy some of your productions. If he's a friend he would understand and he would be greatful that you asked him first rather than selling his bloodline to other people which he does not like. If he does not want to buy some of your fowls ask permission from him if you could sell some to other people. If he really don't want his line to be in other hands, he would buy your fowls. If he doesn't agree to buy your fowl and does not approve you selling them to others, select the best from them and cull the others. Never break your friends trust. Forgive me if I'm being blunt but it's your fault in the first place because you bred without considering your capacity, that means you are breeding irresponsibly. The other solution is to fight them. I'm sure not all will win and those who will remain are the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a serious culling is in order butninneed a good way to determine quality of the flowl that I have and battleingnunfit roosters is no show of value as some roosters are 10 years old would be challenging those whom are significantly fitter due to their young age or specific breed.. I think if I can get down to 3 families I'll be good any advice in culling is appreciated ... I also might cull based on looks and appearance for example chikens with darker feathers are easier to maintain and side less from mites but blues and whiter chikens sell better to most people... I didn't know if there were any reliable behavior tests for determining witch to keep and my issue with going to him directly is he has good fowl , but he thinks he needs to keep every family that's ever ding good for him hanisnnit a big culler as he believes hawks do his culling for him (there is much flaw in this logic) but he is older and more experienced than me, I might end up just selecting what I want and making him take the the families I don't want
    really I just would want 2-3 roosters and plenty of hens

Post Thanks / Like

Have you brought your friend in on this yet? He knows the lines, tell him you need to cut back to #X broodpens and/or #X lines. Tell him you want his advice and help as some of what you raise will end up with him so his interests are involved too. He should know better than anyone what needs priority.

Wayside Gamefarm UGBA, ALGBA, and MSGBA Member

23. Likes danitor, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if he don't want to take them and you agreed to not let them out then pull their heads off. No sense in losing a friend over a chicken. Life isn't fair, if you got all that time and money in them just chalk it up to a learning experience.

25. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can not give up on them. In our breeding system, our own way of doing things are infinitive. Over and over again we have been indulge into "do it your own way". The whole thing'e is a puzzle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner_15 View Post
    -sell very long distance
    - kill the chikens

I'll play with them. I'll give you the shipping money net. If they get blue ribbon . I'll send you a hundred for every one that wins a blue ribbon poultry show. Anyone on here that knows personally. Kno s my word is gold

28. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Likes don128, southernX, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heel them up and practice. Test hard for there gameness. This is one of the most important steps in breeding. Very rarely do we just kill a healthy bird to cull most times we pick a half dozen put them through a keep and play in the barn. Even the old brood cocks we do this with. You can learn allot and cut down to half in a couple weekends. You don't want to feed the loosers anyway. LOL

30. Likes chad123, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about the age difference between the bird's 50 bird's can be 25 bird's real quick by hacking them into each other. I have few old Brood cocks that have earned there right to live there life out on my yard till they die of old age. But each 1 of these old Cocks will whip another Cock if I heeled them up no matter how young he is. Cull by performance that should be your #1 goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like my buddy, he asked for some of my spangles then he wanted some Gull pullets. I go over his house and everything full not even room for chicks! I told him he has a problem and told him I won't give him any more fowl, since he also wanted some Claret blood to cross over his Kelso's. Instead I took some Kelso pullets to put over My Clarets!
    sometimes people get overwhelmed before they know and it's like a diesease and start going into hoarding mode!