Thread: Melville asils

Post Thanks / Like

Melville asils

What can you guys tell me about em? Where did he get em from, what was they known for? All that good stuff. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melville asils

My partner was good friends with Les Melville and Knew Bobby Boles very well. Melville got his birds from Boles. If you get some I can tell you they will be Melville asils in name only.

Disciple

Melville had the origanol Atkinson Asils. He was friends with Boles and crossed the Boles with the Atkinson and called them his Melville Asils.

4. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesse Horta which was real good friends with Bobby said that Bobby only gave Les a hen or a cock (I can't remember but I think cock) because he didn't want Les to have them pure. This is straight from Jesse's mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rev-23 View Post
    What can you guys tell me about em? Where did he get em from, what was they known for? All that good stuff. Thanks guys!
    Less met Bobbie at his wedding and they became good friends Bobbie gave Less a Cock to cross with his Asils and Less was talking to Robbie White and Less told Robbie what Bobbie had given him and Robbie laughed and told Less that Bobbie had given him a hen but not give him a pair so they put the two together and raised them pure and less crossed them with his and Robbie told him that Bobbie crossed them with his Kelso and you could hardly wip them.That was told to me by Less,s handler and feeder,and if you don,t belive me I don,t care,Less,s feeder gave them to me and you could ask him and he would tell you the same thing.I hope this help,s.Thanks James A.

Post Thanks / Like

Screw, the names. If you spar them and CANT see their worth. There's no point in having chickens.....................

8. Likes southernX, Full contact, leonidas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK I thought that the Melvilles came from boles but wasn't sure.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of stories out there but I don't think anyone knows for sure.I have two families from LESS the Red family is a Boles Adkinson cross.The other is a Grey family.I know he had many different Asils and American fowl.There's a lot of people that got different Asils from him.Some good some bad.

11. Likes KAHUNA NO KA OI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobby also had different Asils most people think he only had one kind not true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Screw, the names. If you spar them and CANT see their worth. There's no point in having chickens.....................
    So you have never seen a family that didn't seem to spar well but were almost unbeatable in the pit???

14. Thanks hugoboss thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Noshow View Post
    So you have never seen a family that didn't seem to spar well but were almost unbeatable in the pit???
    You know of a family of fowl that can't spare for $hit but win a high percentage? Do tell.............
    I've seen the Melville's and can definitely see what they bring to the table. If you can't see what they bring to the table at an elite level. How you going to know how to use it?
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; April 22nd, 2017 at 05:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mac white had them direct and they were very good for him also the bob Rodgers asils that did so well in the Philippines were from Mac white too,same asils.

Post Thanks / Like

Are any of those red Asil like the Boles/Melville aggressive on down birds ?

Post Thanks / Like

You know of a family of fowl that can't spare for $hit but win a high percentage? Do tell.............
    I've seen the Melville's and can definitely see what they bring to the table. If you can't see what they bring to the table at an elite level. How you going to know how to use it?
    That not what you, nor I said the first time. You never said spar like **** and I said didn't spar well. To awnser your question yes I have seen one family of toppys that where suppose to be rh when ordered as eggs in the 60's. Bill Hull order the rh's and some came with toppys. He gave them to his brother who over the next 40 years whipped every big name consistently in Oklahoma and won several Coy trophies at any pit he decided to. They didn't spar well at all it seemed to anyone who seen
    Last edited by Noshow; April 22nd, 2017 at 06:13 AM.

19. Likes madmex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Are any of those red Asil like the Boles/Melville aggressive on down birds ?
    Years back in the sk..we used to compete against Les and when we were barely getting started we'd hate getting matched into him but then we got a hold of better birds and liked matching those asils lol. I seen it many times when his grades would wreck one fast but wouldn't finish. Couple times he lost because the birds would not break the count. I almost got asils from Les but after I saw that happen more than once I didn't want them.

21. Likes TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the gaff, plenty of birds that get out sparred can win derbies on gameness and power when it's their time ... seen many derbies won just by hammering it out in the drag time after time ... and some days they do get out cut and lose , every dog has it's day.

I had some low headed Hatch that would get their heads beat off sparring but they won alot ... they one time they got hold of you was all she wrote .

Our Morgans look horrible sparring... it almost makes you sick to watch them . You can think you have a good eye or know roosters but they just stink it up sparring ... when legal , they were 80% winners in the gaff .

But , I like the ones that are fun to spar .. scare everyone that meets them and back it up too ... but , I'll settle for winning any way I can until then ...

Post Thanks / Like

That not what you, nor I said the first time. You never said spar like **** and I said didn't spar well. To awnser your question yes I have seen one family of toppys that where suppose to be rh when ordered as eggs in the 60's. Bill Hull order the rh's and some came with toppys. He gave them to his brother who over the next 40 years whipped every big name consistently in Oklahoma and won several Coy trophies at any pit he decided to. They didn't spar well at all it seemed to anyone who seen
    I disagree. I said "if you can't see there worth when you spar them there's no point having chickens" referencing the Melville's asil. You said "you ain't never seen a FAMILY that didn't spar well but was unbeatable". Reread it again. Your response was not pertinent to my comment nor yours.

What's the difference between an ace sparring a $hitty bird and him sparing one that "doesn't spare well". Especially when he makes both look like $hit? Your splitting hairs buddy. A duds a dud. We're talking family of fowl not a cross.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    In the gaff, plenty of birds that get out sparred can win derbies on gameness and power when it's their time ... seen many derbies won just by hammering it out in the drag time after time ... and some days they do get out cut and lose , every dog has it's day.

I had some low headed Hatch that would get their heads beat off sparring but they won alot ... they one time they got hold of you was all she wrote .

Our Morgans look horrible sparring... it almost makes you sick to watch them . You can think you have a good eye or know roosters but they just stink it up sparring ... when legal , they were 80% winners in the gaff .

But , I like the ones that are fun to spar .. scare everyone that meets them and back it up too ... but , I'll settle for winning any way I can until then ...
    Theres a difference between getting out sped and getting out hit. Seen speed birds shuffling at the point there put down. They shuffle across the pit, into there opponents tail, wing and so on. They are in too much of a hurry. It looks and sounds impressive but there not hitting "DEEP" and to the right places usually.
    I don't consider non shot gun type birds $hitty birds but most here do, I guess.
    Any bird that shuffles at "air" 2 times out of 3 regularly, is a dud to me (culling material). Hell, I hate seeing them shuffle once you put them down. Some families get away with it but they are wasting a lot of energy and giving a sharp shooter a chance to take them out.
    Classic snyper vs. machine gunner.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; April 22nd, 2017 at 07:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Iv seen a lot of claret chickens that didn't spar good look like they were junk but put a s/k on one and they would cut you to pieces.

26. Likes Sig1911, TopNotchfarms, Perfect-Gull liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spring creek View Post
    Iv seen a lot of claret chickens that didn't spar good look like they were junk but put a s/k on one and they would cut you to pieces.
    I know what you mean but if your really watching them sparr. Pay attention to there feet. Notice how many times they throw and miss.(count the first 3 hits they throw). Also notice "where" there pointing there spurs (not feet). Notice the sound of there feet hitting. It's usually buried under the sound of wings popping, which most assume is the hit. (It's a low pitch thud) almost unnoticeable.

28. Likes mctrott, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I said?? These may have been a cross but they were bred straight from 62-2002.....probably closer bred then anything you own

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to turn it around and just say your talking about the asils but you said a "family of fowl". I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying, the way you always wanna talk about elite fowl I figured you would have seen a family like this before. They sparred like crap but would usually whip you inside of 3 pittings. This was that family and they were as elite as anybody's. All where killed in 03 and the man quit after Oklahoma was outlawed

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to turn it around and just say your talking about the asils but you said a "family of fowl". I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying, the way you always wanna talk about elite fowl I figured you would have seen a family like this before. They sparred like crap but would usually whip you inside of 3 pittings. This was that family and they were as elite as anybody's. All where killed in 03 and the man quit after Oklahoma was outlawed
    I was on the Melville asil thread referencing his fowl. Most people talk about asils like they are no good but good for crossing.
    I'm saying, if you can't SEE there value(or any other brood fowl for that matter), get a new hobby.
    Point being, they do show great talent if your paying attention.
    As far as your point outside of mine. I think the problem is people can't see somethings that make a family of fowl great. We're only capable of measuring speed and athleticism, not all people of course.
    I have seen non-fireworks type fowl that win a majority. I'd never say they CANT spar. Some do.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; April 22nd, 2017 at 09:16 AM.

32. Likes KAHUNA NO KA OI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was on the Melville asil thread referencing his fowl. Most people talk about asils like they are no good but good for crossing.
    I'm saying, if you can't SEE there value(or any other brood fowl for that matter), get a new hobby.
    Point being, they do show great talent if your paying attention.
    As far as your point outside of mine. I think the problem is people can't see somethings that make a family of fowl great. We're only capable of measuring speed and athleticism, not all people of course.
    I have seen non-fireworks type fowl that win a majority. I'd never say they CANT spar. Some do.
    I sent a pair to Guam and that man sparred the rooster and really liked him

Post Thanks / Like

That's fair enough. Even Mr Hull told me on several occasions they never SEEMED to spar well. Very hard fowl to whip. I got a cock but never a hen