Thread: Can some one post a list of Med/preventives.

Post Thanks / Like

Can some one post a list of Med/preventives.

Please can you post a list of Meds/preventives that every beginner should have before they even get their fowl.
    The laws have changed with Antibiotics.what would you use instead?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can some one post a list of Med/preventives.

Quote Originally Posted by mctrott View Post
    Please can you post a list of Meds/preventives that every beginner should have before they even get their fowl.
    The laws have changed with Antibiotics.what would you use instead?
    Thanks.
    Nothing. Learn to keep them healthy without it. U don't need all them antibiotics to b able to raise fowl just keep them wormed and de loused and good food and clean water is all u need. As a matter of fact your fowl will b much healthier and there immune system will become naturally strong and resistance to disease without them. The cure doesn't always come in a bottle or a bag. Try all natural is the way to go There's lots of different stuff u can feed and put in water to get them and keep them healthy the all natural way Oregano, Garlic, cinnamon etc just to name a few but there's a few more that I didn't mention. And cull hard do not run a hospital
    Last edited by steel city; May 12th, 2017 at 02:09 AM.

3. Thanks mctrott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just keep em wormed and lice free . Good food and clean water . After that if the are sickly you dont need em . Cull cull cull

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Clean dry pens mud will kill you. Shade a dusting area and some way to keep them on grass. And above all build a fence.

6. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMG_0126.jpg.................................................. ........

Post Thanks / Like

What I use......
    1st week cocci vac- this basically prevents a large majority of problems you see in the first couple months of a chicks life.

1-2 months pox vaccine - in not worried about them dying from it I do this to prevent them from going blind if they get it in an eye. I diddnt vac for it this year though.

Wormer- Prohibit, mix 3 bags with one gallon of water to make solution. One tbsp of solution to 1 gal of drinking water. I worm chicks with drinking water once a month after they are put on the ground. I worm the yard every 2-3 months with a feed mash made with the worming solution. I also alternate with a 5lb bag of safe guard pellets mixed with 500lb of layer pellets fed as sole ration until it runs out. The mix lasts me around 10ish days.

Feed everything that is penned in a feed cup. It helps so much keeping them worm free.

Water soluble Tylosin in the spring when the babies get the rattles after the birds return from their migration. I'm not really sure exactly what disease it is but tylosin works really well if you can get it. If not don't worry the weak ones will die off, you won't loose them all.

Lice- 3 tbsp of permethrin or malathon per 5 gallon of water. Either dip or spray down your birds with potatoe pump sprayer. I try to de-louse at least once a month.

That is really about all I use 98% of the time in maintenance of my birds. I might use some red cell every now and then but only for Speacial occasions like the molt or keep if I feel they need it. I have gotten away from all injectable vitamins. I feed 100% layer pellet 100% of the time to everything penning age and up, even in the keep. I also add a little bit of bleach to all drinking water unless I'm adding wormer.

It took me years to learn all of these simple things. I never believed it was that easy. I learned the hard way.

9. Thanks mctrott thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, steel city, james1953, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone needs something for coccidiosis and all around antibiotics .... chickens are chickens , no matter how macho their owner is .

If you let disease kill them , weed out only the immune ones in your flock and then let varmints cull some more ... you might have strong fowl , the strong ones could be the sorriest in the bunch for our use ... and in real life, guys who don't stay on top of it don't actually have fowl that are immune to anything or healthy ... just half sick fowl that were strong enough not to die , but not healthy enough to thrive ...

The feed stores are getting around the new laws ... they are shelving liquid Corid and such , as well as shelving the fish versions of all the antibiotics in pill form ... so nothing has changed in what you can get .

Corid , Tylan and Baytril are about the three handiest things to have ... just don't use them as a crutch and think ALL chicks need medication ALL the time ...

11. Thanks mctrott thanked for this post
    Likes knox01, mctrott, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,Quapaw Kid.Who would you buy thses products from that has a good rep and will ship over seas.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Lambert Vet Supply for any shots or medicines I can't get local for many years ... they are always on the ball ... folks have been using the fish versions of medicine for years because they are cheaper and the pill form is more versatile .

14. Thanks mctrott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by TIMEX; May 14th, 2017 at 03:16 AM.

16. Thanks mctrott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

www.poultrypedia.com/medicine-chart (once at site, click on "medicines for chickens")
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrype...medicine-chart

This site will tell you what you need to know. Good Luck!
    Last edited by crawbound; May 19th, 2017 at 11:45 PM.