Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 96

Thread: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

  
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    have 4 chicks with sneezing rattling throat,theys eat and act normal , used to treat this with duramycin but tracktor supply don't sell any powders that go in the water anymore, what is my next step I was watching this Mexican video where this guy used lime juice giving it to them with a syringe I tried this today but don't know how much to trust this since my birds hate in once the lime goes down their throat. if they could talk they be cusing at me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Never Give Up
    Posts
    1,484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    I'd cull em if there showing that much sickness befor the rest yard gets sick

  3. Likes steel city liked this post
  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by TopNotchfarms View Post
    I'd cull em if there showing that much sickness befor the rest yard gets sick
    I paid 300 dollars for a dozen chicks I cant spend another 300 just because of a cold or what ever it is, I do have other laying hens but they are separated from my gamefowl.. man if I have to cull my time would be wasted...

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    I had that happen to me I tried everything nothing worked, a lot of my chicks didn't make it but not all of them die. Just make sure you keep them separate from the rest of your birds and make sure they always have clean water and food water with garlic will help them. Make sure you don't touch or walk around your birds after being around the sick ones or else you will spread it out. In my case all the little ones were the ones that die the 2 months and older made it fine none of them die.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Use apple cider vinegar in the water. Never used before till this year and has helped the health of my fowl and baby chicks.

  7. Likes Crazy Eyes, Nauvoo liked this post
  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Apple Cider Vinegar & a little crushed garlic in water will do wonders..............

  9. Likes BLAKE V. liked this post
  10. #7
    Member screamincheetah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Dude, take the chicks put them somewhere warm away from the others, give them the apple cider vinegar in their water; try the Vet RX, that stuff is good for colds, respiratory, just take a few drops and rub on their head by their eyes and around the nose area; drop a few drops down their throat ...... give them wet feed if they are not interested in the food, give them the Vet RX morning and evening before bed so they breathe during the night when roosting, you can also put a drop or two under their wings or on their chest at night so they breathe the air when they are sleeping. This should help clear them up in a few days in they are not too far gone. Good luck. You can also put a drop or two in the water and when they drink it, they will take it down.

  11. Thanks dragpit thanked for this post
    Likes dragpit, RDH, FIRE-RITE liked this post
  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by screamincheetah View Post
    Dude, take the chicks put them somewhere warm away from the others, give them the apple cider vinegar in their water; try the Vet RX, that stuff is good for colds, respiratory, just take a few drops and rub on their head by their eyes and around the nose area; drop a few drops down their throat ...... give them wet feed if they are not interested in the food, give them the Vet RX morning and evening before bed so they breathe during the night when roosting, you can also put a drop or two under their wings or on their chest at night so they breathe the air when they are sleeping. This should help clear them up in a few days in they are not too far gone. Good luck. You can also put a drop or two in the water and when they drink it, they will take it down.
    my birds eat good they're healthy just sneezing here and there ima gonna try all these tips thank you guys. Why do so many people go straight and say cull them right away when gamefowl get cold symptoms because they will all be carries of the disease. I can't picture a big breeders culling all their free range chicks just cause few got sick so no the rest are carries even if they don't show symptoms also read if you show your bird it will be carrier so there is no wining here.

  13. #9
    Senior Member BamaOkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    XYZ Gamefarm
    Posts
    5,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    I say cull from many years of experience. Chickens only get viruses not colds. The more you cull the less you have to in following years. Also most need to burn or bleach aka disinfect the ground area, cups, feeders, bators, brooders, and pens. It sounds like it is in your ground if you deal with it often and new fowl come down with it. JMO trying to help.

  14. Likes hugoboss liked this post
  15. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    dickson
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    If you have that much money tied up in them then go to your local vet make sure you find a vet that knows about chickens and tell him your problem he will prescribe you med trust me I had the same thing happen and i took mine to my vet he had them better in days and it only cost me 25$ dont cull them that's a waist if you can get them better for just a lil more money

  16. Likes RDH liked this post
  17. #11
    Senior Member JLF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Roost Pole
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoelgu View Post
    my birds eat good they're healthy just sneezing here and there ima gonna try all these tips thank you guys. Why do so many people go straight and say cull them right away when gamefowl get cold symptoms because they will all be carries of the disease. I can't picture a big breeders culling all their free range chicks just cause few got sick so no the rest are carries even if they don't show symptoms also read if you show your bird it will be carrier so there is no wining here.
    I'll tell you the reason why most folks say cull.. in 2 years when you show these fowl there is a 99.9% chance you'll be matched into someone who's fowl haven't been sick a day in their life and that's a huge disadvantage. $300 is definitely a chunk but the money loss will continue to grow the longer it goes and especially when you pour an entry fee in the mix. No doubt you can medicate and wish for the best but I can guarantee the guys standing in the winners circle just got through pitting fowl that never had a bad day.

  18. Thanks steel city thanked for this post
  19. #12
    Senior Member steel city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoelgu View Post
    my birds eat good they're healthy just sneezing here and there ima gonna try all these tips thank you guys. Why do so many people go straight and say cull them right away when gamefowl get cold symptoms because they will all be carries of the disease. I can't picture a big breeders culling all their free range chicks just cause few got sick so no the rest are carries even if they don't show symptoms also read if you show your bird it will be carrier so there is no wining here.
    Your gonna regret it in the long run if u dont cull them I know sometime it's hard to do but Just like JLF said chances are u will meet one that hasn't ever been sick and u are at a disadvantage already before u even walk in the the arena It's gonna cost u way more than $300 by the time it's over. JMHO take it for what it's worth but some of these guys on here I would listen to and some I would not but that's sound advice these guys are giving u when they tell u to cull U the one carrying the feed bucket and paying the entry fee so it's your decision but there's lots of knowledge on this site. Good luck buddy
    Last edited by steel city; May 12th, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

  20. Likes TopNotchfarms, JLF liked this post
  21. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Apple cider vinegar once or twice a week until maybe a month old and then wean them off the vinegar . Always " medicated " starter / grower in one pan and small cracked corn in another free choice at all times. Starter / grower is low fat and if you have cold weather they will eat more corn to increase the fat to stay warmer. In this way i have had much better luck if you have to deal with sickness of any kind. Most people don't keep their pens as clean as they should and sickness will follow. Best to let them free range as soon as you can.

  22. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    If they are still eating good put 2tblsp apple cider vinegar per gallon of water. For every cup of chick starter put 3/4 cup of the acv water. 4-5 days of this then 1 day plain water then repeat. I give my fowl acv in water all during the year regardless of the age 2-3 days a week. Helps keep fat off them. I also feed them soaked oats with acv. I start chicks on soaked oats at 2-3 weeks old. You don't say if you are feeding medicated chick starter. If not I would recommend it also. Good luck to you as $300 for a dozen is a lot of money.

  23. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    I can't em agile anyone with very many fowl at all that hasn't had a sickness hit their fowl. A few years ago nearly every bird I owned got sick and was sneezing and rattling. I mixed water solvable Tylan in a cup of water and mixed it with my feed and feed everything this for 4-5 feedings. Boom everything fine and good. No problems since. Just put a little Tylan in their water for about three days. I'll bet they clear right up.

  24. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I can't em agile anyone with very many fowl at all that hasn't had a sickness hit their fowl. A few years ago nearly every bird I owned got sick and was sneezing and rattling. I mixed water solvable Tylan in a cup of water and mixed it with my feed and feed everything this for 4-5 feedings. Boom everything fine and good. No problems since. Just put a little Tylan in their water for about three days. I'll bet they clear right up.
    there has to be a correct answer to this and like you say some people say cull some say treat and if culling and spending another 300 dollars for a dozen chicks was the answer I would do it but if they get sick again that would mean cull again man keep them opinions coming

  25. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    a good friend of mine had a problem with his chicks doing the same thing. went to the vet and got some baytril or baycox or something like this. it was expensive = 178 dollars for about a quart. it only takes like 10 drops per gallon to do the job. cleared his right up. jc

  26. Likes trueedge, Quapaw Kid liked this post
  27. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    I had a cold run through my yard a few weeks ago. I think you gotta put them away from your other birds and make sure no other birds can drink their water. Including wild birds. they'll spread it around your yard too.

  28. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoelgu View Post
    have 4 chicks with sneezing rattling throat,theys eat and act normal , used to treat this with duramycin but tracktor supply don't sell any powders that go in the water anymore, what is my next step I was watching this Mexican video where this guy used lime juice giving it to them with a syringe I tried this today but don't know how much to trust this since my birds hate in once the lime goes down their throat. if they could talk they be cusing at me.
    Treat for coccidious.......

  29. Likes LaBlue liked this post
  30. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    dickson
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by steel city View Post
    Your gonna regret it in the long run if u dont cull them I know sometime it's hard to do but Just like JLF said chances are u will meet one that hasn't ever been sick and u are at a disadvantage already before u even walk in the the arena It's gonna cost u way more than $300 by the time it's over. JMHO take it for what it's worth but some of these guys on here I would listen to and some I would not but that's sound advice these guys are giving u when they tell u to cull U the one carrying the feed bucket and paying the entry fee so it's your decision but there's lots of knowledge on this site. Good luck buddy
    With all that is being said yes ur bird has been sick but when u show him he want be sick he will be100% you say its a disadvantage but weres the disadvantage he's not sick at the time of show but your cock has been sick so that makes his ammune system stronger cause his body has fight off a virus and lived like the old saying goes what dont kill you will make you stronger but that's my opinion if you think ur at a disadvantage than cull but my thoughts are your not going to bring a sick cock in a arena he's goin to be 100% ready so just something to think on

  31. Likes trueedge liked this post
  32. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by jfry View Post
    With all that is being said yes ur bird has been sick but when u show him he want be sick he will be100% you say its a disadvantage but weres the disadvantage he's not sick at the time of show but your cock has been sick so that makes his ammune system stronger cause his body has fight off a virus and lived like the old saying goes what dont kill you will make you stronger but that's my opinion if you think ur at a disadvantage than cull but my thoughts are your not going to bring a sick cock in a arena he's goin to be 100% ready so just something to think on
    How do big breeders keep their fowl free of disease they got to have a giant sealed cooler where they can keep theirs birds free on disease or keep them inside the house

  33. #22
    Senior Member rev-23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    rooster yard
    Posts
    838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    I learned the hard way culling is the best medicine. Sick fowl will cost you way more in the long run.... That being said, if you just got a save em. Use tylon-50 injectable .5 ml dwn back of neck 3 days in a row. I've also used tylon-200 but a lil of it goes along way, learned that the hard way also.

  34. Thanks steel city thanked for this post
    Likes southernX liked this post
  35. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoelgu View Post
    How do big breeders keep their fowl free of disease they got to have a giant sealed cooler where they can keep theirs birds free on disease or keep them inside the house
    They medicate them. Any they lose is money out of there pocket. The more fowl you have in a small area the more on top of it you need to stay. I agree that if a bird gets sick and stays sick for a while he will never be what he should or could have been. But just a little rattle if you tend to it quickly, I don't think will effect him or her at all.jmo

  36. Likes runner liked this post
  37. #24
    Senior Member BamaOkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    XYZ Gamefarm
    Posts
    5,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Cull them sick SOB's then after awhile none will be sick. Now if I was the competition I'd be saying oh pour the dope/meds to them poor sickly weak puny culls! Allen Fisher the Tar Heel wrote if you can reach down and catch one knock it in the head. Takes discipline but it pays in long run. JMHEO

  38. Thanks southernX, steel city thanked for this post
    Likes southernX, steel city, JLF, lawgreyman14 liked this post
  39. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    I'd have to cull most of mine because they will fly on my feed bucket on my shoulder or on my knee if I set down. So what your saying BO is I should have killed every bird on my yard a couple years ago when they were sneezing and rattling????? If I had done that I'd have not won 4 shows out of 8 try's this year. I think they are just fine and very strong now. Must have met someone's else's sick sob's.

  40. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    if ones wings are hitting the ground cull him, but if they are eating and look normal and all u hear is a sneeze, I would put 1cc tylan 50 injectable in a one gallon chick drinker and fix ,m . jmo yfis deepriver

  41. Thanks CA whitetoppy06, LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
  42. #27
    Member JMChap1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    Cull them sick SOB's then after awhile none will be sick. Now if I was the competition I'd be saying oh pour the dope/meds to them poor sickly weak puny culls! Allen Fisher the Tar Heel wrote if you can reach down and catch one knock it in the head. Takes discipline but it pays in long run. JMHEO
    He also said to take that medicine and get a big syringe full and squirt it across the edge of your ax lol.....

    I say just separate them and try to find some antibiotics to run through everything's water. If you know many chickenmen you should be able to find some, if not call a vet. If they droop up and stop eating knock them in the head. CRD is in everyone's flock, this wet weather is hard on em. The more you put in them the more you'll get out of em. That being said, clean and bleach all your feeders, water cups, pens, roost poles...etc. Pick a few days every month and make a routine of it if you want to. A little apple cider vinegar is good for their water. After you run antibiotics/bleach/whatever give them some probiotics to put good bacteria back in them. I wouldn't waste my time doctoring on chicks if it were me.

  43. Likes steel city liked this post
  44. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by JMChap1982 View Post
    He also said to take that medicine and get a big syringe full and squirt it across the edge of your ax lol.....

    I say just separate them and try to find some antibiotics to run through everything's water. If you know many chickenmen you should be able to find some, if not call a vet. If they droop up and stop eating knock them in the head. CRD is in everyone's flock, this wet weather is hard on em. The more you put in them the more you'll get out of em. That being said, clean and bleach all your feeders, water cups, pens, roost poles...etc. Pick a few days every month and make a routine of it if you want to. A little apple cider vinegar is good for their water. After you run antibiotics/bleach/whatever give them some probiotics to put good bacteria back in them. I wouldn't waste my time doctoring on chicks if it were me.
    I went to tractor supply and got me some tylan 50 gave them their first shot this afternoon put 1/2 cc in the breast, also got some vetrix and gave them a few drops and rubbed it in their face I will repeat this for 3 days and will report back in Wednesday

  45. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
  46. #29
    Member CA whitetoppy06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Deep river do put 1cc to gallon of water once?
    I was wondering if i could use it like that.. Some say it doesnt absorb well through gut ? Its worth a try thanks.

    I was thinking.. When i try to catch em i cant but when they think i have fermented oats it becomes easy pickings.

    just think what all the birds went through in the past and still endured.. Breeds and strains we have today.

    To each his own i would like to become NPIP certified but.. Dont they make you med or vaccinate or just euthanize your birds when a certain virus is present..

    Damn migratory birds and soul erosion.. I need soil brought in and sand may just lots of sand .. Roosters and sandbox .
    Last edited by CA whitetoppy06; May 15th, 2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Its soil not soul

  47. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3 month old birds with cold symptoms after heavy rain

    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoelgu View Post
    I went to tractor supply and got me some tylan 50 gave them their first shot this afternoon put 1/2 cc in the breast, also got some vetrix and gave them a few drops and rubbed it in their face I will repeat this for 3 days and will report back in Wednesday
    That sounds like a lot for a 3 month old fowl but I'm no expert on that. Good luck with em.

  48. Likes FIRE-RITE liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •