Thread: what is the average cock weight i have seen huge and some kinda small ???

Post Thanks / Like

what is the average cock weight i have seen huge and some kinda small ???

i ask this because i have seen some turkey sized fowl and some not so big, i own a pair sweaters 7 month old and a pair of grays also 7 months got hem from Jeremy chandler, the sweaters seem a bit smaller than the grays a friend of mine has some turkey looking ones mule train and leapers that to me are way to big do weights very depending on breeds ? what is the optimum weight i should be looking at in a cock and hen before i put them in the brood pen or does weight depend on the breed, I'm new at this and what to be as informed as possible don't wanna make bad mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is the average cock weight i have seen huge and some kinda small ???

Derby weights is from 4.2 lbs to 6 lbs. Shamo birds weighs heavy and the bantams are in the small weight category.

3. Likes TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

J Chandler is a good place to start. Yes his sweaters are lighter than his greys. Most will cock out close to five pounds. The grey act great but his sweaters will be easier for a beginner to handle. The grey hens are very aggressive and will kill other hens over territory. As far as weight you should be right on the money for American shows. Treat them right and they will do their part. Never seen his sweater in a show but have put a couple up and they were a pleasure to work greys to but if you're not confident they know it. Hesitate one to many times and they will tighten you up. But if you're smooth they will reward you with a win they love to work so do his blue face. Good luck and many blue ribbons in your future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoelgu View Post
    i ask this because i have seen some turkey sized fowl and some not so big, i own a pair sweaters 7 month old and a pair of grays also 7 months got hem from Jeremy chandler, the sweaters seem a bit smaller than the grays a friend of mine has some turkey looking ones mule train and leapers that to me are way to big do weights very depending on breeds ? what is the optimum weight i should be looking at in a cock and hen before i put them in the brood pen or does weight depend on the breed, I'm new at this and what to be as informed as possible don't wanna make bad mistakes.
    Keep them healthy and feed them good feed in the right amounts and they'll end up where they are meant to be.
    At 7 months they still have a lot of growing to do so don't worry.