Thread: broodcock

Post Thanks / Like

broodcock

to replace a broodcock. would you do a brother sister breeding or father daughter or son mother beeding? what would make you pick the cock you picked. new to breeding. thanks for info

Post Thanks / Like

Re: broodcock

I would go back to the father or mother that's just me tho....

3. Likes irisheyes485 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try to outbreed. Do you have a aunt or daughter uncle to choose? I would not breed brother sister.

5. Likes irisheyes485 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont really wanna breed brother to sister. but i know some ppl do. i dont have a uncle or aunt to the origial broodcock.
    Last edited by floydtn; July 17th, 2017 at 09:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've got the space and means, exercise each combination you can within the same family and pick what you think is the very best example, even better if he comes from your very best hen. A son back to her should be high on the list of possibilities anyway I would think, an exceptional brother to her, even half brother so long as he's straight bred, would be an option (once, wouldn't repeat with offspring) if no real nice son is available. Knowing your family and how tight they're bred means a lot. Just kinda how I'd think. If you still have the original cock, I'd think it allows you to be even more critical in judgment and should cause you more patience in picking the next BC or BCs. And aren't you picking a BC from your stock to put these different matings together? Sons, uncles, cousins, whatever, you're giving them that BC status, even just for a season. Best of luck, there's plenty of paths.

Wayside Gamefarm UGBA, ALGBA, and MSGBA Member
    Last edited by Nauvoo; July 17th, 2017 at 01:23 PM.

8. Thanks floydtn thanked for this post
    Likes floydtn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The original brood cock was produced by his mother..............his mother gave him most of everything, especially conformation, conformation allows the bird to succeed at his best among other things........
    Personally, id breed him straight back to his mother, i be very watch full of any pullets from that breeding also and keep the best of them to breed him back to at a later date if time allows.
    Those next generation pullets will be more like him (BC)

Cocks produce hens like themselves
    Hens produce cocks like themselves

this is a good rule of thumb, but it does depend on how theyve been bred previously and how outcrossed they are to start with.
    You can keep crossing fowl for vigour trying to find the so called nick but you will never have consistency.

Just an opinion from one to another, good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Eyes View Post
    The original brood cock was produced by his mother..............his mother gave him most of everything, especially conformation, conformation allows the bird to succeed at his best among other things........
    Personally, id breed him straight back to his mother, i be very watch full of any pullets from that breeding also and keep the best of them to breed him back to at a later date if time allows.

this is a good rule of thumb, but it does depend on how theyve been bred previously and how outcrossed they are to start with.
    You can keep crossing fowl for vigour trying to find the so called nick but you will never have consistency.

And it's a good opinion jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Brother to Sister mating.....BUT do it just 1 time....and just picked the best ones from the biddies...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Eyes View Post

sounds good to me man.... Looks like you know what your talking about...

Post Thanks / Like

I like to breed brother back to 1/2 sisters. So what I'm saying is I breed straight kelso to get the brother and sisters the next year I run a sweater cock over the sisters and take the pullets out of that cross and breed back the the brother or uncle how ever some look at it. And after that I can go 4 to 5 more years like that. But this is they way I try to do it I'm sure others have diff ways.