Thread: Legend in their own mind

Post Thanks / Like

Legend in their own mind

I know we all have those buddies or know people who don't have the word humble in their vocabulary. They rarely ever have a bad outing and if they do they were a mile ahead and got hit one time. I thought it would be entertaining to hear some stories from you guys, I know I can't be the only one who knows these type of people. I know a guy who claims he wins almost every time out, but I'm never there when it happens it seems. He says to me one day after not winning, "You know I'm just going to have to come to the conclusion that I'm not going to win every single derby."
    Last edited by Thompson; August 12th, 2017 at 12:31 AM.

2. Likes lucanusgf, Jailbird6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Legend in their own mind

a breeder today we know claimed he had won derby's in elite competition back in the day but when u ask "regulars" of sunset and other big shows, No one rememeber him winning, worst claimed breeder was only a mere expectator who sits in the table of the winners.

4. Likes carnosus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A forum member on here also. He and another member on here claiming bothe the victory. They fighting with toppy fowl. They never speaking about a draw. With a draw nobody lost the face.

6. Likes carnosus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i noticed ine member here too claimed he has witnessed the how the legends in sport fought back when it was legal, I'm amazed of how he can vividly remember of how tye fowls fought or the cockers did(he usually narate in detai), I would thought this guy is either very keen observer or part of the cocker's team,while there is nothing wrong about that, but what makes me thinking suspiciously is he claimed, he has uncle during the day who actually showed back in the day, question is, if your talking about shows in the 70'80's, how old was he then to rememeber all of this in DETAIL?guy must be genius, .In so many And other ways too.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a local guy that was telling folks he handled for some big names and was selling fowl that came from them but none of it matched up ... he had Hargus Whitehackles direct , lol . He always said he won or split .

I saw him lose a couple in each show , but it was just how funny he was to watch handle ... flush them with his hands under their wings , he had one run between his legs during the rest and to see him turn around looking for his rooster was like the Three Stooges .. I never seen anything more funny , I was tempted to act like I didn't see anything and ask around to see if he'd say he got in the money that day too

9. Likes Noshow, carnosus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to know another guy that was a trip. He contributed his great success as a feeder because he was a A+ Biology student back in High School.

11. Likes aguazarca, carnosus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up around the Odom boys of OKC,OK. Jame "Barefoot" Odom could tell a tail a hour long have you sitting on edge your seat whole time! Crack up Laughing and Say you believe that you believe anything! He didnt win them all but he could tell a story. Time he camped out in Slim Benosit drive way until Slim sold him some cocks! I dunno if it was true but he called them the I-35 greys!

13. Likes lawgreyman14, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's good stuff guys. My A+ Biology buddy believed he could win with a show of White Leghorns with his patented Strychnine keep. I asked how his ace he was to take that weekend did and he said " I had a good one, but the ol' boy turned loose a "Water Moccasin" on me." Cracked me up.

15. Likes BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    I grew up around the Odom boys of OKC,OK. Jame "Barefoot" Odom could tell a tail a hour long have you sitting on edge your seat whole time! Crack up Laughing and Say you believe that you believe anything! He didnt win them all but he could tell a story. Time he camped out in Slim Benosit drive way until Slim sold him some cocks! I dunno if it was true but he called them the I-35 greys!
    His son will tell some wild ones , gotta be something wrong with that boy ... he's had 50 time winners , cocks with 22 tail feathers and a string of some stuff so outrageous you just gotta bail out on it ... I was a kid , but did see Albert Heath slap Heavy Odom to sleep for yapping at him in the drag and Albert was on one knee handling .

17. Likes BamaOkie, Noshow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    His son will tell some wild ones , gotta be something wrong with that boy ... he's had 50 time winners , cocks with 22 tail feathers and a string of some stuff so outrageous you just gotta bail out on it ... I was a kid , but did see Albert Heath slap Heavy Odom to sleep for yapping at him in the drag and Albert was on one knee handling .
    I remember when Jame brought his first son to Blanchard about 4 days old in apple box. Cold that night. James showed tuff back then. Albert and his brothers I knew stay on good side. All my buddies think I was crazy talking with Albert Heavy did have mouth on him at times. He saved me from my big mouth more than once so can't say nothing bad about him. Bones,Moose, and Whiz you ever know them?

Post Thanks / Like

Bones you talking about, around 6'6"

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up with Albert's kids and my Granddad grew up with all of Albert's brothers .. Bones , yes but the others don't ring a bell . Timmy , Lil Red and Joe Z Jr used to come slum at the old Red Barn and it was alot of fun getting to hang out with them ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Noshow View Post
    Bones you talking about, around 6'6"
    No I met that Bones on net another sight way back. I think he was a transplant from Idaho lived in McLoud? We was at Red Barn every weekend but may open back up after I left in 87. Now Red Barn was on Sunday so we had been going since Friday night I know I raised to much H e double LL there! Timmy was pitting for Tree Trimmer back then.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when Jame brought his first son to Blanchard about 4 days old in apple box. Cold that night. James showed tuff back then. Albert and his brothers I knew stay on good side. All my buddies think I was crazy talking with Albert Heavy did have mouth on him at times. He saved me from my big mouth more than once so can't say nothing bad about him. Bones,Moose, and Whiz you ever know them?
    What moose you talking about Mr Tim? Jones

Post Thanks / Like

No buddy back in OK. 3 brothers Nephews of Granville Hester. One famous OK outlaw! I use to know He was so bad they put him back in jail after reading his record. It was in the news papers. He loved White hackles made buch $$ on one I told him bet the freeking house! Thank God I won! We was Young, Wild, and Free!

24. Likes t gasparac, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Mike Everett is reading this. Grandville Hester was only one could get anything Buck Mayo had. Timmy always called the Clarets Mafia Reds!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a legend in my own mind. Just not with chickens I'm awesome

27. Likes eaglebeak, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BamaOkie;4855986]No I met that Bones on net another sight way back. I think he was a transplant from Idaho lived in McLoud? We was at Red Barn every weekend but may open back up after I left in 87. Now Red Barn was on Sunday so we had been going since Friday night I know I raised to much H e double LL there! Timmy was pitting for Tree Trimmer back then.[/QUOTE. He passed away a few months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Noshow;4855995]
    No I met that Bones on net another sight way back. I think he was a transplant from Idaho lived in McLoud? We was at Red Barn every weekend but may open back up after I left in 87. Now Red Barn was on Sunday so we had been going since Friday night I know I raised to much H e double LL there! Timmy was pitting for Tree Trimmer back then.[/QUOTE. He passed away a few months ago.
    I always liked his son Rusty you know him?

30. Likes Noshow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What was Hippie's real name?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a very well known breeder and author write me and claimed to know more about how the Butchers were bred than I did. He went on to state that Phil Marsh told him this at the Orlando tournament in the early 1950's. I found this to be amazing, especially since the only time Phil was in Orlando was in 1930 and 1931. To make it more interesting Phil passed away in 1945!! Makes me wonder what other tales he told to others.

Post Thanks / Like

There's one in every group. Usually has a audience too. Knows everything there is to know. Ever know the guy who has every breed imaginable and they're are damn good? I know a few of them. Yard full of 5&6 time winners too!

34. Likes Al Sanchez, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When legal this guy went into talking about Johnnie Jumper & how his son ain't shists blah,blah & how the bloodline is crap ever since Johnnie's been dead ... I was really "when" oh he's been for years I was like he just won a derby 2 weeks ago lol than he goes on to tell me I'm wrong ect. ..... These guy's r blowhards... it's best 2 just walk away or move elsewhere they're usually drunks too

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

36. Likes trueedge, MarshButcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Billy Vicory in Ben wheeler TX, best chicken stories one man can ever tell

38. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LMAO... Pray All is well my Friend...
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    I'm a legend in my own mind. Just not with chickens I'm awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarshButcher View Post
    I had a very well known breeder and author write me and claimed to know more about how the Butchers were bred than I did. He went on to state that Phil Marsh told him this at the Orlando tournament in the early 1950's. I found this to be amazing, especially since the only time Phil was in Orlando was in 1930 and 1931. To make it more interesting Phil passed away in 1945!! Makes me wonder what other tales he told to others.
    I got a laugh out of this one...the nerve of some people to say such things to the person whos name is attached to one of the bloodlines that have stood the test of time. WOW

41. Thanks MarshButcher thanked for this post
    Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    There is a local guy that was telling folks he handled for some big names and was selling fowl that came from them but none of it matched up ... he had Hargus Whitehackles direct , lol . He always said he won or split .

I saw him lose a couple in each show , but it was just how funny he was to watch handle ... flush them with his hands under their wings , he had one run between his legs during the rest and to see him turn around looking for his rooster was like the Three Stooges .. I never seen anything more funny , I was tempted to act like I didn't see anything and ask around to see if he'd say he got in the money that day too
    Only time I ever known him to loose is when I have been present. How bout the local that was gonna go to these lil ones so he would have money to get in the big daddys

43. Likes regulargrey liked this post