Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temperament. And culling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Temperament. And culling

I paid good money for a pair of "Man O War" butchers. The hen was fine but the stag would squall when I caught it, usually with a net. After some advice from older cockers I started catching it at dark by hand and spending lots of time with it. Even after this when you go up to the pen he's all over the other side flying up etc. One day I was swapping my mug to another hen pen and decided to set him down for a hen that was running loose. Well I figured I had never seen either roll so I tipped the Butcher cage up and since he was all over the other side he ran right out, right into the loving wings of that Mug. He was holding his own, I only let them roll a bit but when I pinned them down to separate them the Mug just wanted his rear end and the Butcher started screaming like a woman with a spider on her face. That was enough for me. I get being gittery and needing calming but when in the heat of battle he starts screaming when held down, and thats without heels on much less buried to the hilt I say he ain't no Man O War he's dunghill.
    I need an old straight honest strain and that just isn't it. Live and learn, broker for the learning hahahha

2. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter, that is sad. I presume you didn't get them from Man O' War himself, Tom Schwigen, which is impossible since he's dead. Maybe that's the problem? Whoever sold them to you?

4. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda like raising from a trio and getting plenty of " throwbacks " from the start .. That's a cross , lol

I met RLS at the pit and got a pure Hulsey brood bullstag from him . Took him home and molted him to a cock .. He never would so much as bill up .

6. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    Peter, that is sad. I presume you didn't get them from Man O' War himself, Tom Schwigen, which is impossible since he's dead. Maybe that's the problem? Whoever sold them to you?
    Fella down south that got them "direct" from Tom. Part of my decision was my mentor had Butchers and swapped with Tom. I'm not bashing anyone, hell maybe that one was just off but I'll not stick my p#*#@r in that mouse trap again hahhha

8. Likes avalos1991, Mossy Dell liked this post