Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Romero Albany's not game

Post Thanks / Like

Larry Romero Albany's not game

Just got off the phone with a man that bought a trio of Albany's from Larry and he said he has a few quit on his this year so he got rid of them. Anyone else have this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Larry Romero Albany's not game

Dam that sucks man I would of got rid of them too

Post Thanks / Like

Have had the Albanys from Larry Romero for 25 years. My experience is these Albanys significantly add gameness and livability when crossed to other fowl. I have bred them to black McRaes, Doms, sweaters, Kelsos, pumpkins and the infusion of Albany has added gameness, vigor and cutting. Everything in my farm has an infusion of Romero Albanys (both the straight comb and pea comb families) - precisely because they are a deep game family. And so far - gameness has never been an issue

Post Thanks / Like

Were they from a trio he ordered because he heard they are good ... or a trio he bought because he saw them go ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the straightcomb family & I see no signs of dunghill just the opposite they hold their own straight bred & crossed on Lacy (beast)

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of any non game albanys (even though im sure somebody has effed some up somewhere lol).. let alone larry romero's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Were they from a trio he ordered because he heard they are good ... or a trio he bought because he saw them go ?
    Does it matter?

If the man bought direct & he was sent junk (or fowl that produced junk) then what's the difference? Either way, he is out the money he paid for them.

8. Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a pair of hens that were LR Albany and crossed them to my gilmores and they were very good... no gameness issues at all..

10. Thanks Kali559 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Straight bred from the trio or crossed?

Post Thanks / Like

He got them direct from Larry and most if not all have seen this man fight when it was legal. I'm not going to say his name for obvious reasons but he had 2 quit on him in the gaff. Pure bred Albany's

Post Thanks / Like

Chemicals will do that to them.....

14. Likes Al Sanchez, Dry Creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will say this Larry is a upstanding guy!!!!! I have his albanys and they are the $hit!!! There's a lot of variables. But I will once more say his Albanys are game!

16. Likes Al Sanchez, gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So many variables in cocking...from the chicks in the brooder...to cockerels in the range...to stags...to cocks... maturing....preparation.... LR has impeccable record among his buyers.... I have none of his birds and I don't aspire to get one... my wife's nephew got 2 trios of breeding materials from him and he is successful with them.... what I mean is you breed the birds you can not blame the breeder whom you got them from when the results fail your expectations... the breeder has no record of being a hoax... you just have to bite the bullet and go on the next program of what you think is best... or will be best.....
    Last edited by Pinolim; September 10th, 2017 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brettjern View Post
    He got them direct from Larry and most if not all have seen this man fight when it was legal. I'm not going to say his name for obvious reasons but he had 2 quit on him in the gaff. Pure bred Albany's
    There's no money in breeding for Wortham rules. What do you expect. Can't have it all when you breed for time limits.

19. Thanks Dry Creek thanked for this post
    Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Albany for about 8 years now and they have been good to me and a few friends in mexico showing the sk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    There's no money in breeding for Wortham rules. What do you expect. Can't have it all when you breed for time limits.
    That's seems to be a trend among the "big timers". They have all went to breeding for that time limit knife so more is put on cut then on gameness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pinolim View Post
    So many variables in cocking...from the chicks in the brooder...to cockerels in the range...to stags...to cocks... maturing....preparation.... LR has impeccable record among his buyers.... I have none of his birds and I don't aspire to get one... my wife's nephew got 2 trios of breeding materials from him and he is successful with them.... what I mean is you breed the birds you can not blame the breeder whom you got them from when the results fail your expectations... the breeder has no record of being a hoax... you just have to bite the bullet and go on the next program of what you think is best... or will be best.....
    Oh yeah and he did that. I had this happen to me and I went on about my business. Make no mistake I like Larry and I call him often and I haven't heard anything about them not being game other than this man but most don't show in the gaff

23. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got to love the internet.......

25. Likes Al Sanchez, hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brettjern View Post
    Oh yeah and he did that. I had this happen to me and I went on about my business. Make no mistake I like Larry and I call him often and I haven't heard anything about them not being game other than this man but most don't show in the gaff
    I have owned and showed a lot of different breeds over a lifetime and not one of them was not game enough for the long knife. Most were game in the short knife , not many truly game in the gaff. Those who participated in the gaff both long and short must truly have game cocks if they expect to do well.
    The commercial market is 99% knife one kind or another. Why would one expect to get Game cocks (gaff cocks) from a commercial breeder, when very few have competed in the gaff in many years?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john yates View Post
    I have owned and showed a lot of different breeds over a lifetime and not one of them was not game enough for the long knife. Most were game in the short knife , not many truly game in the gaff. Those who participated in the gaff both long and short must truly have game cocks if they expect to do well.
    The commercial market is 99% knife one kind or another. Why would one expect to get Game cocks (gaff cocks) from a commercial breeder, when very few have competed in the gaff in many years?
    I would say he probably talked to Larry and he said the Albany's was game. I know when i talked to Larry he said they was game enough for the gaff. I'm guessing he went off what Larry was saying.

Post Thanks / Like

In the gaff is totally diferent story y know a lot of breed out there are not suit for gaff special wen his customers are from Philippines and mexico even in Mexican short knife they use now days 5 6 7 lines over the inch to big and the fowl not need game for that that's my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

How many of the big timers fowl would last in they could go back in time in the gaff?
    Last edited by trueedge; September 11th, 2017 at 12:33 AM.

30. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trueedge View Post
    How many of the big timers now fowl would last in they could go back in time in the gaff?
    Maybe a handful... I can only think of one in OK. Commerical breeding and the gaff go together like Trump and Clinton. The low key farms is where you wanna go for spur fowl now days

32. Likes lawgreyman14, knox01, Jailbird6, trueedge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLF2.0 View Post
    Maybe a handful... I can only think of one in OK. Commerical breeding and the gaff go together like Trump and Clinton. The low key farms is where you wanna go for spur fowl now days
    Which one ? The grass is about done growing so I'm gonna sell my mower and get some new chickens ...

34. Thanks Sly fox thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which one ? The grass is about done growing so I'm gonna sell my mower and get some new chickens ...
    Lol he's got some good hatch and greys.. he lives close to you. Old old man can you think who?

Post Thanks / Like

I know I know !!!!!! Lol. My hand is raised lol. Waiiiit forrrrrr itttt.....Ding!! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Lol.

37. Likes hoghunterdave, rev-23, JLF2.0, HeavyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE-RITE View Post
    I know I know !!!!!! Lol. My hand is raised lol. Waiiiit forrrrrr itttt.....Ding!! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Lol.
    T.H T.H T.H!!!!! Lololololol

Lucas

39. Likes hoghunterdave, HeavyD, JLF2.0 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dangit firerite you beat me to it!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have took some of those Grey last year when they had an embarassing day and were free ... the gamest Albany were some Earl Walden had back in the early 90's ... if one died , you could dig him up a week later and they'd still break.

42. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have took some of those Grey last year when they had an embarassing day and were free ... the gamest Albany were some Earl Walden had back in the early 90's ... if one died , you could dig him up a week later and they'd still break.
    Anybody that's ever showed much and aint a sabong legend in their own mind has had an embarrassing day...I promise u I have

Lucas

44. Thanks Hatch-Mac, Al Sanchez thanked for this post